165 gallons live stock feedback / fish stock

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Reefers! :)

It’s finally happening- we will be upgrading from a Red Sea Reefer 170 into a Waterbox Infinia 165.4. I would like to share the stocking list that I have in my head- and have all your valuable inputs why this is- or is not realistic.

The tank is 4 ft long and the total system volume will be 165 gallons. It will be a bare-bottom setup with no sand.

Feedback on the proposed list would be appreciated, keeping in mind the following:

1) Species compatibility
2) Desire for a mostly peaceful tank
3) Variety of “personalities” in the tank
4) Bioload on the system
5) Distribution of swimmers throughout the relatively high water column
6) Reef compatibility

I’ve done my best to research the best fish choices to meet these many criteria, but am sure my “newbieness” may have overlooked a thing or two. I also think a compromise or two is inevitable (but hope to be proven wrong). Here is my preliminary list. Feedback encouraged and appreciated!

Fish from old tank:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Mandarin Goby
1 x Timor Wrasse
1 x Six Line Wrasse

New fish:
1 x Yellow Tail Purple Tang
1 x White Tail Kole Tang
1 x Magnificent Fox Face
1 x Peacock Wrasse
1 x Lilac Pyjama Wrasse
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x Copperband Butterfly
1 x Flame Angel Fish
1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish
1 x Royal Gramma

Thanks!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, only caution would be the tangs. Typically you want at least 6 feet for them to swim once they start getting big. Also, I’d want to double check those specific wrasses don’t need sand. Many wrasses bury themselves every night to sleep in the sand.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Reefers! :)

It’s finally happening- we will be upgrading from a Red Sea Reefer 170 into a Waterbox Infinia 165.4. I would like to share the stocking list that I have in my head- and have all your valuable inputs why this is- or is not realistic.

The tank is 4 ft long and the total system volume will be 165 gallons. It will be a bare-bottom setup with no sand.

Feedback on the proposed list would be appreciated, keeping in mind the following:

1) Species compatibility
2) Desire for a mostly peaceful tank
3) Variety of “personalities” in the tank
4) Bioload on the system
5) Distribution of swimmers throughout the relatively high water column
6) Reef compatibility

I’ve done my best to research the best fish choices to meet these many criteria, but am sure my “newbieness” may have overlooked a thing or two. I also think a compromise or two is inevitable (but hope to be proven wrong). Here is my preliminary list. Feedback encouraged and appreciated!

Fish from old tank:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Mandarin Goby
1 x Timor Wrasse
1 x Six Line Wrasse

New fish:
1 x Yellow Tail Purple Tang
1 x White Tail Kole Tang
1 x Magnificent Fox Face
1 x Peacock Wrasse
1 x Lilac Pyjama Wrasse
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x Copperband Butterfly
1 x Flame Angel Fish
1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish
1 x Royal Gramma

Thanks!
You’ll have to pick between one of the two wrasses. You most likely won’t be able to have both, the Mystery Wrasses are highly aggressive and Leopard Wrasses are highly peaceful. They really don’t like to be pushed around a lot which is what the mystery will do to the leopard.
As you already have a six line you also won’t be able to have the mystery wrasse as both of these are of the same genus, making them closely related and as both are extremely aggressive they will end up in a battle to the death.

As it’s a bare bottom tank, you will be unable to keep the leopard wrasse (These guys MUST have a sand bed to burry into when sleeping and stressed/scared). The two tangs won’t work out in the long term and you’re best staying with the Ctenochaetus as Zebrasoma species get active, large and aggressive.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, only caution would be the tangs. Typically you want at least 6 feet for them to swim once they start getting big. Also, I’d want to double check those specific wrasses don’t need sand. Many wrasses bury themselves every night to sleep in the sand.
Thanks, I will keep the tank size vs. tangs in mind, sadly the 4 foot tank is all that i can find room for. In the UK, houses are a bit smaller than on your side of the pond ;-)

I currently have a juvenile powder blue tang in a Red Sea 170- and knowing that they will indeed grow up i have a standing agreement with my LFS that he will rehouse ‘Timmy’ when he gets too big :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll have to pick between one of the two wrasses. You most likely won’t be able to have both, the Mystery Wrasses are highly aggressive and Leopard Wrasses are highly peaceful. They really don’t like to be pushed around a lot which is what the mystery will do to the leopard.
As you already have a six line you also won’t be able to have the mystery wrasse as both of these are of the same genus, making them closely related and as both are extremely aggressive they will end up in a battle to the death.

As it’s a bare bottom tank, you will be unable to keep the leopard wrasse (These guys MUST have a sand bed to burry into when sleeping and stressed/scared). The two tangs won’t work out in the long term and you’re best staying with the Ctenochaetus as Zebrasoma species get active, large and aggressive.
Thank you- that is very helpful :) There’s an awful lot of no’s going on in there that i haven‘t had on any other forums- I will definitely look into that!

Could you advise on a couple of wrasses who would do well with the ones i already have? (Timor and Six Line) in a BB tank?

For the tangs, i am aware of the constraints of having a relatively small tank :) I will be looking into trading them in as a pair when they outgrow my tank- or if i win the lottery; build a bigger house with a bigger tank! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- that is very helpful :) There’s an awful lot of no’s going on in there that i haven‘t had on any other forums- I will definitely look into that!

Could you advise on a couple of wrasses who would do well with the ones i already have? (Timor and Six Line) in a BB tank?

For the tangs, i am aware of the constraints of having a relatively small tank :) I will be looking into trading them in as a pair when they outgrow my tank- or if i win the lottery; build a bigger house with a bigger tank! :)
Honestly, I unfortunately don’t think many wrasses will get along with a sixline due to how aggressive they actually are.
I’ve just seen you currently have a timor, I recommend getting him a sandbed as they really do need one.
I assume you wanted the Sixline for the pest hunting? If so then honestly I’d get rid of it and swap it for another Halichoeres species and get a sandbed. The Halichoeres wrasses do the same job as a sixline, add more colour and are much less aggressive meaning you can mix them with other wrasses.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. I don't like the 4 big swimmers I'm a 4ft tank. Also don't like the wrasse with a bare bottom tank.
My input.
S
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! :)

By the ' 4 big swimmers' do you mean the tangs, the fox face and...?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I unfortunately don’t think many wrasses will get along with a sixline due to how aggressive they actually are.
I’ve just seen you currently have a timor, I recommend getting him a sandbed as they really do need one.
I assume you wanted the Sixline for the pest hunting? If so then honestly I’d get rid of it and swap it for another Halichoeres species and get a sandbed. The Halichoeres wrasses do the same job as a sixline, add more colour and are much less aggressive meaning you can mix them with other wrasses.
Thanks, that a good piece of feedback - I will definitely keep that in mind and update my plan accordingly :)

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like six lines and eight lines. My purple tang doesn't lol. The flame angel will be your 4th swimmer and will be running in and out of your rock like the six.line.
D
Ah, the flame angel of course! That's gonna be a tough sacrifice - which one(s) to let go :D Thank you for your input!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend a melanarus perhaps? With a sand bed tho as that's where mine sleeps. Pretty sure they are good at pest control too.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo for the bigger swimmers I'd go with the foxface, bristletooth tang, and the flame angel.

And +1 on the sand bed for wrasse. You mentioned you prefer a more peaceful tank so swapping the 6 line with that lfs you have an arrangement with for another would be a viable option.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back