16G Biocube! 1st Reef Tank!

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, I need to get a phosphate kit, that’s one I haven’t purchased yet. I know I’ve read some places they should be zero, others that there should be some phosphate? Do you add copepods to your tank? I was interested in starting a population of those to help with the bottom of the food chain also.

That’s awesome about the fish sign! My son, Stone, only knows a few basic signs like more and eat, I will have to try and teach him fish!
I tried to reply last night but lost my post because the girls needed me. I think very small amounts of phosphate probably ok but I'm no expert. I do know, too high and you'll have algae problems and it can inhibit calcium uptake in your stony corals.

Definitely try more signs, my older daughter loved signing and it was such a great thing before and even after she could talk. My 14 month old is leaning new signed every day now. They love it, especially animal signs, swing, slide etc.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I checked my parameters after my freak out moment yesterday and it is all looking good right now.
Mg 1380
Ca 450
dKH 9.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5 ppm
Ph 8.0
I tried to upload a video of my clownfish because he swims weird. Maybe it’s normal, maybe something is wrong? I have absolutely no clue! I’ll try putting the video on you tube first..... stay tuned!

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be normal as, my clown swims almost completely sideways when the lights are off and faces his whole body downwards on a regular basis. Nothing is wrong with him though. Also welcome to Reef2Reef! (Also we love pictures so put more pictures please ;))

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it to work. Do you guys think this is normal swimming on his side on the bottom?

I think it's normal behavior. My maroons clowns would do that when they would settle into their host. Had some do it in zoas, clams, anemones. Very pretty clown, one of my favorites :)

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the clown today?

He was still in that same spot at the bottom of the tank when I fed them this morning. He doesn’t come up to the top for feedings because the bigger one is a bully. I try to make sure I rotate with food that falls because of this. I’ll look more closely when I get home from work and I do my tests.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For other food options I would highly recommend LRS frozen food. Every fish we ever had always went nuts for it.
Ok I’ll look into that. Right now I only have frozen brine shrimp, and some bay scallops that I have a really hard time getting into small enough pieces for the fish, a flake, and a pellet. I try to rotate. I don’t feed much for just 2 fish, I’m trying to be extra careful to not over feed right now. I still haven’t found that happy place.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are your guys thoughts on copepods? Benefits/drawbacks?
No drawbacks.
But save your money. I’d bet a lot came in on your macros and coral.
I’d expect a large bloom soon.
Def check the tank at night with a flashlight.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back