180 gallon drilled sump or canisters?

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 180 and it came with two corner overflows and already drilled.
I have a stand... but no room for a sump whatsoever.I have no basement, so if I do a sump it would have to be next to the DT. I’d use a 55 or 40 breeder. So small sump vs 2 cascade 1500s? Or possibly one of each so I can still use the sump for heaters and other miscellaneous stuff?
Could really use some help here, out of depth for me

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of the cabinet space? Typically there is always room under the stand for a sump so I'm curious to see why there isn't in this case

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decide what your goal is. Is it a FOWLR tank? Or a reef/mixed reef tank?

If FOWLR, you could do canisters.

If reef, I would make a sump work.

That’s without knowing details. I have tried both and I would not use canisters on a large tank if my goal was a reef tank.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run two Oase Biomaster Thermo 350 in very limited cabinet space. They are excellent, low-maintenance canisters. Or make one the larger 600 or new 850.

Whatever you do with a two canister setup, I recommend running one mechanical/chemical with high-rate flow and one loaded with biomedia and turned down to 50 gph or less for nitrate processing.

OP
OP
Courtney Dudoussat

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of the cabinet space? Typically there is always room under the stand for a sump so I'm curious to see why there isn't in this case

10inch wide here.... even a custom tank could get a max of only 30 gallons
My grandfather built the stand for me

E8C24A6F-B319-4780-8484-4F082438F679.jpeg 6C0ADACC-9FB3-47A0-8CC2-82A6D09F1245.jpeg

OP
OP
Courtney Dudoussat

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decide what your goal is. Is it a FOWLR tank? Or a reef/mixed reef tank?

If FOWLR, you could do canisters.

If reef, I would make a sump work.

That’s without knowing details. I have tried both and I would not use canisters on a large tank if my goal was a reef tank.

mainly Fowler, maybe some easy corals like Xenia or mushrooms of some sort, but not completely filled with them

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10inch wide here.... even a custom tank could get a max of only 30 gallons
My grandfather built the stand for me
How tall is that stand? Dimensions of the center and each end opening?
I'm thinking you MIGHT be able to fit an FX4 or FX6 in the center?

This opening is 18w x 24h (measured from floor to bottom of horizontal frame members) x 14 deep. By opening the bottom shelf on your stand you could possibly fit something large. This is a Fluval FX6.

IMG_20201029_170853747.jpg

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a sump since the tank is already drilled. Even if it’s a small one. It’s a place to hide heaters, have filter socks, and set up an ATO. Heck, you could even set it up as a display refugium in that center section.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way that a SUMP was the look I was going for. However, I have seen a lot of great post about daisy chaining two canister filters together for a system that size.

OP
OP
Courtney Dudoussat

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is that stand? Dimensions of the center and each end opening?
I'm thinking you MIGHT be able to fit an FX4 or FX6 in the center?

This opening is 18w x 24h (measured from floor to bottom of horizontal frame members) x 14 deep. By opening the bottom shelf on your stand you could possibly fit something large. This is a Fluval FX6.

IMG_20201029_170853747.jpg
i think I could get one in there, the tank and stand is currently at my old house and I don’t remember the exact measurements, I’m thinking it’s 30x20x20 or something close to it.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding a 3rd tank for a remote refugium. Allow water to fall to a sump, then either tee off the return or better yet, add a pump to the first chamber in the sump to push unfiltered water up to the refugium. The refugium would then drain into the return chamber of the sump. A mature refugium has its own remarkable beauty that compliments the display & is very effective at biological filtration. This will also provide a food source for the display (zooplankton) when the refugium reaches saturation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back