180 Gallon Florida Coral Reef Aquarium Build at the Ocean Discovery Visitors Center

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL are you looking for a job in the grants department? Honestly Id say that this was a dream tank for us since we revamped the visitors center three years ago and to see it where it is today makes me really proud.
yeeeeeeaaaa no. I've got enough grants to deal with as it is :D . And of course the tank is incredible! I was just messin' a bit. I'd be one of the folks who goes to the visitor center just to see the tank if I were there.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeeeeeeaaaa no. I've got enough grants to deal with as it is :D . And of course the tank is incredible! I was just messin' a bit. I'd be one of the folks who goes to the visitor center just to see the tank if I were there.
Thanks for the compliment! I am waiting for the day that someone comes in because they've read one of my build threads here. :cool:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment! I am waiting for the day that someone comes in because they've read one of my build threads here. :cool:

I'm only a 3hr drive away,

2.5hrs if I drive my SS 3: --)

I might have to make a day trip of it! I'd love to see this setup and pick your brain a bit? mind if I shoot you a PM?

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time on the reef!

8F466BD9-B21B-4DD9-8EE5-2214BF311F35.jpeg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been pretty busy here at work but I took a few quick pictures to share. Things are definitely in a good grove now and starting to grow :D

2C271720-7291-49FB-87AF-6703A268B430.jpeg

Everyone’s favorite view of the reef

5FFAD63D-9897-43DD-AA86-CC5ABA44621F.jpeg

Massive polyp extension on our FL staghorn

3B03291A-EB43-4A26-91C0-A26A74D8CE78.jpeg

Close up of our gorgonian

EA99043D-6974-40BD-B868-AD599A0FEBBC.jpeg

The Greater Star Coral

ADA7BA65-0601-4A94-B42B-52241A9F912D.jpeg

Our Caribbean zoa garden filling in nicely

Super jealous of the stag. Cool to see after seeing nothing but broken rubble last weekend while snorkeling in the Dry Tortugas.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super jealous of the stag. Cool to see after seeing nothing but broken rubble last weekend while snorkeling in the Dry Tortugas.
Yeah I know what you mean. I live in Florida and I’ve never been lucky enough to see any nice colonies of cervicornis or palmata. It’s super rewarding to be able to keep these and teach the public about them. However, I can’t wait for someone who appreciates them as much as I do to come and see them!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Brandon, quick question. I was looking at your parameters screenshot and noticed that your ph fluctuates similar to mine. Mine goes between 8.2 and 8.44 daily. I'm wondering if you test your alk regularly and what are the average readings? Mine usually stays around 9-9.4. Just trying to gauge the level I should be keeping it at. Thanks

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon, quick question. I was looking at your parameters screenshot and noticed that your ph fluctuates similar to mine. Mine goes between 8.2 and 8.44 daily. I'm wondering if you test your alk regularly and what are the average readings? Mine usually stays around 9-9.4. Just trying to gauge the level I should be keeping it at. Thanks
I only check my alkalinity (and other parameters not on the apex) on a weekly basis. This is mostly due to the other responsibilities I have at my job. For quite some time now the alk on this tank has remained between 8-8.5 on average (at least when I test). I feel like with alkalinity there is a wide range that you can keep it at as long as it’s stable. I prefer the 8-8.5 range because it’s a nice middle ground where a swing in either direction wouldn’t be too detrimental. It also allows me to keep a nice balance of food in the tank, which the inhabitants love! As for the pH swings, I have tried to mitigate it as best I can with a large refugium on a reverse light cycle as well as CO2 absorbing media. At the state it is now, things are very happy and that to me is the most important part. Hope that helps! :)

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are my 2nd favorite group of coral next to SPS / acropora.

The tank is looking great my friend ! love seeing updates, can't wait to make a short roadtrip out to see it!
They definitely have a very hypnotic beauty about them. Ill try to keep the updates coming as frequently as possible and you should absolutely come to see them. We have lots to learn about and several other opportunities here at HBOI as well!

Loving the Gorgonians! Great pics
Thank you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back