180 gallon FOWLR and 2 FX6 canister filers (yes, canister filters) :)

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the beginning stages of planning out a 180 gallon FOWLR...

And I REALLY want to use 2 FX6 canister filters for filtration (and one FX2 at a lower flow rate connected to a UV sterilizer).

I just really like nice canister filters (FX6) better than a sump, etc...

I will clean the canister filters on a bi-weekly basis - one one week, the other the next week, etc...

My question is:

Since there will be 180 pounds of "live" rock in the tank - I assume (never a safe thing to do) that I do not need to put any biological filtration in the canister filters - correct...?

This would leave the canister filters with just the filtering sponges and pads (mechanical filtration) and Chemi-pure blue (chemical filtration)...

And would therefore allow the filters to run at higher GPH (gallons per hour) levels...

Or am I missing something...?

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that should work. I like FX6 alot also but I've only used them in my fresh water set ups.
Do make sure to rinse them out constantly because they will definitely raise your nutrients levels for sure since they do collect alot of detritus.
All the rock in the tank should definitely work as your biological media just fine.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re great for carbon and floss etc if you clean them regularly.. leave the ceramic media and bio balls etc out and you should be fine.. even this won’t hurt on a fowlr if your lights aren’t powerful.. running powerful lights for corals with high nutrients is when algae and problems arise from my experience… my first reef tank I had a canister and under gravel filter! Haha… stupid fish stores! Never listen to them again.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious are you planning on running a HOB skimmer on this system or no skimmer at all ?
Either hang on the back skimmer(s) with the intake and output pipes hidden in the overflows or skimmer(s) (Tunze) placed inside the overflows...

Last edited:

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you say overflows so the tank is drilled where you could run a sump and you’re just opting to run canister filters? I’m confused lol and please don’t take this as criticism I’m just genuinely curious about your plans?

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use a drilled tank with overflows (Marineland 180 or Aqueon 180) - for a few reasons.

You attach the canister filters to the overflows - making each overflow basically a sump...

Plus you can hide anything needed - skimmers, heaters, etc. in the overflows - for a very clean look.

4567.png

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok now I get it! That’s interesting so you still the surface skimming from the weir looks like also? I’m intrigued look forward to seeing how this works out. Which skimmer are you thinking about using for this set up ?

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok now I get it! That’s interesting so you still the surface skimming from the weir looks like also? I’m intrigued look forward to seeing how this works out. Which skimmer are you thinking about using for this set up ?
Yes, the overflow performs the surface skimming...

You can use any HOB skimmer really - and hide the inlet (and outlet) tubes behind the overflows...

Or this one by Tunze behind the overflows:

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use a drilled tank with overflows (Marineland 180 or Aqueon 180) - for a few reasons.

You attach the canister filters to the overflows - making each overflow basically a sump...

Plus you can hide anything needed - skimmers, heaters, etc. in the overflows - for a very clean look.

4567.png
Wet do this often. Take a look at the attached OF design. Removable media Baskets and removable basket rings. This is our answer to media caddies. The Baskets are 7 inch diameter. Four of them the top we recommend Floss. The bottom two your choice. GFO, carbon. Whatever takes a huge load off the primary filter. We have in many FOWLR ran this as an AIO. Your setup does work.
B8F4362A-608C-4A4C-967A-9B2A1B2AC76D.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you already have the FX canister filters? if not look in to the oase bio masers filters they have a nice easy to clean pre filterer where you dont need to take apart the canister for cleaning.
I have one I ran for a few week on a FW planted i was going to set up then changed my mind.

FOWLR can get loads of nutrients not sure a HOB skimmer will be able to keep up. all depends on water changes and what type of fish I guess.

keep us posted on this project. I am always curious when people go against the norm or what I would do.

personally I would go with a 60br some 1/4" plate glass for the baffles a return pump and a nice skimmer but that's just me, and this is not may tank and I love when people do different things keeps us on our toes. :)

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4567.png
This will work, and its been done....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back