180G Cycle Questions. How do I skip/minimize the ugly stage?

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to skip the ugly stage during a cycle?

Getting ready to cycle my 180G within the next week or two and really want to do my best to skip the ugly stage!

From experience! what has worked best for you? (The questions are formatted as "My understanding. Making sure I understand it correctly and any questions I have.")

I watched a few BRS vids and this is my understanding.
1. Do the nitrifying cycle slow! I plan on dosing microbacter7 for a month. Should I dose it longer? I am also not sure that ammonia source is best...
2. After the month add your clean up FISH! Don't turn on your light yet either! I have a question about this. Is it ok to add a tomini or kole or other bristletooth tang as one of the first fish? Should I wait longer like the 3rd month maybe? Will they be aggressive to future tangs?
3. Dose some kind of cleaner like vibrant! When do I start dosing this? From day one or after the tank is done cycling?
4. Don't turn on your lights for four months. No questions makes sense!
5. Accept that there will be some algae when you turn on the lights. Makes sense but hopefully my tangs and blennies can maintain it!
6. When should I turn on the skimmer and start up the refugium? I was kinda confused about this part in their videos!

I really appreciate the help! Cycling seems to be more confusing than I remember lol.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the best way to not have or slow the ugly phase is use real live rock. if your worried about pest QT it for a week and ID all the critters. you can get aqua cultured LR from TBS or KPaqutics . live sand helps to even if its just to seed your sand of choice.

adding a UV is another big help.

turn on the skimmer once you have some food in there. wait for the fuge other wise the cheato will melt. hard to say when but the tank will tell you.

I have never tried mircobactor 7 but love turbo start 900 .I like to use real ammonia easy and simple. ( keep in mind if use API test there ammonia will always read .25)

the trick is getting your system balanced. it takes more time with dry rock for sure but with good bac. its a lot better than with out.

dont forget clean up grew to. start off slow and build as get more nutrients in the tank if you can.

if you see uglies start be pro active by removing GHA cleaning sand bed and glass. with dry rock its just a matter of getting through it. some takes do great others take a year.

best of luck!

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose bacteria, i would recommend microbacter7 and turbostart 900
on the tangs wait until the 3rd or 4th month 4th is probably better. Id probably recommend three tangs max on that system one tomini and two yellows would be the best. about 140 lbs of live rock and 3 in deep sand bed.
NO VIBRANT IT HAS TAKEN MY CORALS FROM ME!!!!
On the fuge use marinepure block for the bottom and an ai prime for fuge light start after cycle.
start skimming asap id get a skimmer for 250 gallons
I would use kessil or viparaspectra on amazon two of the 300 watt lights
Also please pm me a stock list and corals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back