180g lights - Orphek? Atlantik/ compact? How many? Other brands?

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180g should come soon, looking for good lighting for it.

Currently: 75g, 2xReefLed50, they work pretty good, no issues with them.

BRS recommends Radion, I really like the Orphek Atlantik. Orphek has a good Black Friday deal! The Atlantik fixture is larger, less shadows?!
Should I follow with RedSea and add to the existing ones? Should I go with 2 Atlantiks? 2 large ones or three compacts?

What's your take?

I saw other threads, they don't really recommend Orpheks. I am confused, they seem extraordinary lights!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orpheks' are solid a choice. Unfortunately, I've not had great luck with longevity using them. Radions are a great choice as well, but their customer service is pretty horrendous from my understanding. Pick your poison. Read up on the lighting forum more as @Dana Riddle has some fantastic research. It's a big choice and I have or have had, SB Reeflight, Orphek, Radion, Illumagic, MH, Flourescent, and ReeFi fixtures lighting my reefs. All have their plusses and minuses.
Do your due diligence and make a choice that fits your needs specifically. There are other choices besides LED's. There is nothing saying you can't combine different light fixtures to achieve the results you are looking for.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following Dana's forum closely. Thanks for the input, I am a sucker for LED lights, that's all I can say - especially since it appears their spectrum seems to work just fine for coral growth and display. I also like the flexibility they offer in terms of having the spectrum adjusted, dimmable and all.
I've also been watching BRS' videos for more than a year now, quite a few things to learn there.

BTW, tank is mixed, so I don't need 500 PAR all over it, at least not yet :).

Again, thank you for the input!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The future is fan less systems and blanket spreads............. these mimick T5 coverage & diffuse lighting for blending of spectrum. The smaller footprint puck style LEDs can't compete from a coverage standpoint.

I'd focus on that.........ATI Strattons, Coral Care and GNC Blue Ray Pro ( on sale for 800).

I'd go Reefi duo extreme if you like the puck type designs. They have reflectors so LED burnout on lenses doesn't exist. 3 year warranty, performance and build are top notch.

See Dana's testing---

Last edited:

Mr. Leemr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference here i would say. I came up with MH and VHO's and made the move to LED around the 2nd gen radion era. I ran Radions for years without issue, they're great lights and work very well, however the spectrum blend wasn't great and required a diffuser to achieve good blending. the new G5 Radions attempt this but IMO are not as powerful as the old puck style fixtures. I have personally as well as most of my close reeefer friends switched to Orphek. the panel style combined with insane power just gives more even par distribution with little fall off at the edges.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with radion xr15 pro on mine this past january

verry happy with them but not as detailed as others on this site

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The future is fan less systems and blanket spreads............. these mimick T5 coverage & diffuse lighting for blending of spectrum. The smaller footprint puck style LEDs can't compete from a coverage standpoint.

I'd focus on that.........ATI Strattons, Coral Care and GNC Blue Ray Pro ( on sale for 800).

I'd go Reefi duo extreme if you like the puck type designs. They have reflectors so LED burnout on lenses doesn't exist. 3 year warranty, performance and build are top notch.

See Dana's testing---
You opened my eyes to new possibilities!
I agree on the blanket style, I also like LED shimmer!
The difference in spectrum between the GNC and Orphek seems interesting: the GNC uses 16x660nm LEDs, while Orphek has 2x730 and 4x590nm. One of the things I am missing on the RedSea are the reds - they don't seem to be represented very well.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 CoralCares on my 180 with 2 ATI B+ bulbs to supplement. These put out a blanket of light with enough par to grow anything.

You have plenty of worthy options out there. Just comes down to what your preferences are. Good luck!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You opened my eyes to new possibilities!
I agree on the blanket style, I also like LED shimmer!
The difference in spectrum between the GNC and Orphek seems interesting: the GNC uses 16x660nm LEDs, while Orphek has 2x730 and 4x590nm. One of the things I am missing on the RedSea are the reds - they don't seem to be represented very well.

I get the shimmer need but most pucks the shimmer isn't natural like MH produce..........Leds are too fast and flickery. From what I've read/ heard the Kessils seem to be the best for supplemental shimmer.

150w MH would produce a nice shimmer and not heat up a tank. Since they are just for shimmer you really wouldn't have to replace bulbs. They can run for years upon years and not burn out.

I like the Orpheks over any puck type LEDs but they don't have the blending or coverage of the panels.

I think a lot of time what people miss is coverage of the tank from inside out doesn't create good directional pop to our eyes unless you have some light expanding out past the rock work. I want 360 degree coverage from all angles.

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i think asking what is the best light is like asking who has the best knockers out of pamela anderson and katie price! You would not mind having a dable at both :p

will say iv just setup my 1st ever radion gen5 xr15s and the fans are almost always on and fairly noisy at only 70% at 6ft away from tank! Dont think i will buy again for my waterbox 320.7 lx im about to setup!

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already posted in another thread, need to let you guys know what I decided: figured I would take the deal from Orphek and purchased 2 iCons.

Wasn't an easy decision, I still have some reservations, but overall they seem good lights, got them for the following reasons:
- wide spectrum
- high mounting
- large panel (I already have 2 ReefLed 50 from Redsea if I want a smaller format)
- app and BRS review videos
- no extra wireless module/gateway
- resale value if I decide to go with something else

I am still anxious in regards to how the shimmer will be (disco ball or not), but it should be fine based on reviews and mounting height.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many different lighting options and my absolute favorite [by a mile] is the Orphek Atlantik. I have the V4 gen2 and won't be upgrading to the icon, but only because I actually upgraded a V2 to what I have now. LOVE the lights and the controller for them is pretty good. The icon will be even better though. Build quality, ability to upgrade, and customer service (in my experience!) are all top notch. If you go with an Orphek light, you'll probably feel the same way. That said, I'd recommend shooting for the moon and getting 3 of the regular size Atlantik icon fixtures vs the compacts. That way, you'll have more than enough power, spread will be fantastic, and if you ever go to a large tank you probably won't need new lights. For reference, I have a 300DD (72 x 36" footprint) and I'm running 3 Atlantiks and 2 of the OR3 (48") bars. Looks terrific and grows sps on the sand.

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump to an old thread. any updates on the orpheks? how are you liking them?

considering Atlantiks vs GNC Blue Ray Pro lights

thoughts?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back