187 Funky Dimension Prbly Gonna Flood Floors Build.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along, the system should be a beast! Dave @ Nanobox is awesome, he really puts together some great lights!! Looking forward to this tank getting wet!

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys yes I'm out of town this week but good news. The tank is on its way with delivery scheduled for right after the weekend got some pics of my stand.

The reason the tank was delayed is because a worker at the shop had an accident. Let's say they got 5 fingers at the moment. Those of you familiar with OSHA would know this means shop had to be shut down investigation done and then move on.

Currently enjoying my last night in San Francisco!
I was sent some pics of my stand before it was boxed and shipped.

3d375ed934fcbba8be60a7cd4fd9b059.jpg

7c1cc52082e4649beb24afee37794746.jpg

b242d11f8ec74469c0c470f538b316bd.jpg

ec492ae44ca5de3712c51f839b21456f.jpg

166177ac7e3fb251e34429f339c4639f.jpg

0e3e14d24260a0ed34f2a8f6a2c1579a.jpg

5e76e422f5b4bc616457c85e8447ce9b.jpg

214b7e887edb98988464dfe8864f1bc3.jpg

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great. Going to be a little humid and hot inside though. May want to add another opening or fan before you get it setup.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year can be a long time without a tank and I had to find something to hold myself over. After battling the legality of various green substances I decided to use my green thumb for something else. Leading up to my tank I took up gardening with these results

8dd7ac4c72ebeed0aa351f70fb55eb43.jpg

7fcaa3d061647ad63901ad48e3c4aa20.jpg

48666cc77401e7d6fced862e8770e359.jpg

5618741d6d8786568f1a7f929e522169.jpg

3790c619d106155719989010ab3324d1.jpg

a8c178e6c65cb7e705a175c329c556bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys it's finally here. It took a case of beer and buttering up some neighborhood muscle but I finally got the tank delivered.

The tank was about a month late. The build quality of the tank is impeccable 10/10.

The build quality of the stand is is not. It could be way better.

Tank on the truck - it was definitely a 2 man job. Of course one guy came but thank god for working from home.

95cd8b43c7144f882ac5f6e596881fbe.jpg

Guy had a pallet jack that made moving it to the garage very easy.

Please pleas have a sharp knife and help ready to examine the tank. I was able to open every package and inspect the tank before the guy left.

My cousin and I were able to lift and move the stand and sump into place. Extremely close fit under the tank.

The sump is freaking huge which unfortunately means nothing else can go under the tank. I'm kinda glad because at least device failure will be kept to a minimum.

df4d4747b56d612b821d6f186f750b19.jpg

09c6a8288a4ae97b8406617810304a72.jpg

You might see I had to remove supports from the front to get the sump in. This also means that it will be hard to put the screws back. So I'm going to buy a flexible screwdriver head to make it a little easier.

404e17d118f87f4719c0f6e0a70d65a6.jpg

I wish I had a structural engineer to tell me if I need those supports in front.

00615c2fbc22f0ad2ad2299fccf16afb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't see a lot of starfire sumps! Looks pretty. I am no engineer, but my buddy is an engineer and ran some numbers for me on my current build. He strongly advised against having unsymmetrical support on the front and back (regarding the center vertical braces). I wanted to have braces in the back but not the front, but he pointed out that promotes a twisting of the tank if there is any deflection. I was also surprised how many supports are required for 0 deflection. I would keep the vertical supports.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time:

So Delays - Tank is Delayed.

Tank was supposed to get here April 25th - Apparently there was some miscommunication and SCA thought I wanted a modern stand instead of the classic stand and refused delivery by the cabinet maker. After no shipping details and no stand details I contacted SCA and told them that we did in fact decide to go with the white oak furniture grade custom stand with 3 doors etc etc. I was told that It would be shipped Monday May 1st with delivery window to be Friday/Saturday. Well its obviously Wednesday and no shipping details or anything. Finally got in contact with the company and was told that there were some issues with the stand internally and that my stuff would be shipped Friday May 5th. Supposedly with an expected delivery date of Friday May 12th .

Well I'm going to be out of town May 13th-18th. If an attempt is made It will be refused I guess because not a single friggin person will be home. So. Curbside free Tank and Stand -_-;;

I finally got some pictures of the boxed finished products. I give you THE TANK and Sump. It looks beautiful. Now if it can only get to me before I freakin leave!

34439419565_0140aea5e3_c.jpg

Starphire 80ish Gal Sump!
34397911246_d6d0ac96fa_c.jpg

34308839841_5197237eb7_c.jpg

34308839821_7689c62324_c.jpg

33629397573_a0de568448_c.jpg

34397911176_3599872cc4_c.jpg
looks great man. I am glad you doing this build cause Steve at SC Aquiariums is working on a 100 gal tank for me soon. Really nice build going on and congrats on the little one man... would you recommend the stand or maybe a diy stand?

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Entire Build is on HOLD

First Off Let me Preface this With What I KNOW for FACT.

SCA Used to have their stands build in China. When the tank would ship the stand and the canopy would ship as well. This allowed the teams to A) mass produce the stand and B) Test that the stand works well.
SCA's attention to details are excellent and this shows in the FLAWNESS tank I received.

My Cabinet was built by a custom shop in California due to my tank dimensions being 60 X 30 X 24. A Standard 150 tank stand would not work. (2) Cabinets were shipped from the Custom Shop in California. 1 (Regular 150) and My custom tank.

At first glance and measurement I could only check that the tank was the right size shape and dimensions. I also checked that the stand was the right dimensions as best I could due to the rounded corners. The Canopy Also looked ok but as
I did not plan to use the canopy initially I left it wrapped for its own protection.

After waiting a week for some help to place the tank on the stand we rounded up enough people to do the job. I was immediately heart broken and dropped what I was doing and walked away from the fish tank. I went outside for a long walk and had a few drinks before coming
back home and deciding how I was going to deal with this situation.

The Stand was Too small

Untitled by Tristian Allicock, on Flickr

As you guys can see once centered on the actual stand the edges hang over the sides of the stand.

It Gets worse

It was discovered also that the structural integrity of the tank may have been compromised by the stupid builder cutting the middle center brace in order to make space for the overflow plumbing

SCA announced that they were making all the tank stands 36" high now which is great. However the builder clearly does not understand aquariums and decided to simply build a BASE elevating the tank stand 3" higher to make 36" Rendering the open
area small as the base raises the sump up very high rendering people unable to place equipment into the sump. My Sump is 18" tall for reference

The Genius builder then decided to reinforce the stand by adding numerous supports inside the stand pushing the sump almost 6" to the front of the stand rendering you unable to REPLACE The braces after putting in the sump.

After going outside and repeatedly firing a mossberg at a target while playing death metal and wondering how much tickets to California are I decided to test the canopy.

What I thought was paint on much of the stand and canopy turned out to be little more than dust. The Canopy is not finished inside at all. Neither is the stand after wiping it down. Either this is marine grade ply or I'm looking at a disaster waiting to happen.

The canopy does not fit. It is 1/2" too small

If the Canopy WERE To fit it would cover approximately 6" or more of the available viewing area

The builder has agreed to Refund me the FULL COST of the ENTIRE STAND and CANOPY.

The builder is also not doing any custom stands for any tanks until basically July. We were told online (Facebook) that the builder has secured an ONSITE building facility attached to the Warehouse that they will be doing their own custom woodworking.
I spent the greater part of the last few days contacting various furniture makers in Charlotte, NC - I have not contracted anyone yet but have sent plans to numerous people and have called quite a few of them. I should have something by the weekend or
early next week.

If I am unable to find a builder I will build the tank stand myself using rocketengineers and DIY King Joey's plans online in the upcoming week. I figure it will take me a day to build the frame and maybe 2 days to Skin another 2/3 days to Prime/Seal/Paint.

I am Extremely Bummed about this situation. I have been depressed for days and I'm sorry to the community for not updating.

On a slightly brighter side.

I have decided to build a completely oversized stand to house my tank. I am planning on a Tank stand 9 Feet Wide 30" Deep 36" high. The tank will sit in the center of the stand and the sump directly below it. This will free up Space on either side of the cabinet
that can be isolated from the rest of the stand to house my electronics, controller, calcium reactor and any other items I need. The top of the stand can be used in the future to hold a small frag tank maybe. I will probably use this point of sale stand I have right now to
build another system in the garage for frags or Fish Only.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build a completely oversized stand to house my tank. I am planning on a Tank stand 9 Feet Wide 30" Deep 36" high. The tank will sit in the center of the stand and the sump directly below it. This will free up Space on either side of the cabinet
that can be isolated from the rest of the stand to house my electronics, controller, calcium reactor and any other items I need. The top of the stand can be used in the future to hold a small frag tank maybe. I will probably use this point of sale stand I have right now to
build another system in the garage for frags or Fish Only.
Very sorry to hear about your troubles but you are much better off with the larger stand.
The first thing I thought of when I saw your pics from Tuesday's post was "ohhhh nooo.... that sump is taking up the entire stand and looks too tall to get equipment in and out". :(
It will be totally worth the wait for the new stand.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my upgrade build that is in progress. I didn't want to build this tank completely myself as I wanted some features that I didn't feel comfortable incorporating. I had a local contractor working on it, I had payed him 1/2 down (way more money than I feel like the stand should have cost), and had been waiting 2 months with no word from him. Finally, his business partner contacted me to say the guy had gone off the deep end and wouldn't be completing the project. Like you, I was fortunate to get my money back. However, I was out a lot of time and had nobody lined up to build the stand.

I ended up asking around our local reef clubs. I ended up finding somebody to work with me to build the stand out of steel. It is a lot less expensive than I imagined and it will end up being better. I would try asking around local reefers. I'm sure there are plenty in Charlotte and the surrounding area. Many of those folks have built dozens of stands over the years and would be happy to do it for a reasonable rate or to help you out using the RocketEngineer plans. I think the overbuilt stand is a great idea. The stand I built for my 40 breeder was 60" L x 20" wide... hah. Plenty of space for sump + ATO + electronics.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you did not get the stand from SCA ? This sucks what happened but at the end you are getting so much more room for everything and it will be more stable than those crappy premade stands.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man sorry about your troubles. The whole stand situation really sucks. I know a guy in Cincinnati who builds stands professionally. BRS has even featured a stand he built for them in a few of their videos. I can PM you his info if you would like. Just let me know.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man sorry about your troubles. The whole stand situation really sucks. I know a guy in Cincinnati who builds stands professionally. BRS has even featured a stand he built for them in a few of their videos. I can PM you his info if you would like. Just let me know.

Does he ship?

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely pleased send his information

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back