18G (71L) low profile reno reward

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just set up my new tank after renovating a house and merged my 9g nano and 2.5g pico .

while in the process of fully renovated our new house I won a 90cm/36 inch light from Aqua One Australian instragram site . I decided to merge my 2 small tanks into one new one . after setting up my little tanks I really starting liking Lagoon type tanks and found Aqua one has a decent price low profile tank that would suit the light . tank size is 90x28x28cm (36x11x11 inch) 18G/71L . while the light isnt that powerful i thought the low profile tank would suit and my other tanks were similar cheap set ups . I already had a wavemaker and decided to add a protein skimmer to new tank and found a bubble magnus qq1 hang on back filter that would work with my basic set up .

I started with some macro rocks and designed with cardboard for tank size
IMG_20210708_083433_edit_143073761318272.jpg

next I started cycle in a tub for 2 months with some Dr tims one and only and a shrimp

IMG_20210806_141907.jpg

as soon as I had the Tv cabinet set up I set up the rock with the protein skimmer and a small pump I had . the protien skimmer has a sponge in the return area which I trimmed and put a couple layers of poly filter cut off a large square .

IMG_20210923_195636_854.jpg

after a week the tank seemed pretty stabled so I added 20LB bag of caribsea oolite live sand . I really liked the look of no sand but what i wanted to add plus not much bio area I need the sand . once it had settled I moved a few corals and my damsel into to the tank . i put my little hang on filter from old pico to help with new set up ( i wanted the tank to be in a spot I could regularly see it after other ones were out the way in old house and had to stand in front to see what was going on . sorry about mess as still finding spots for everything else )
IMG_20210928_184216.jpg

a bit after that I moved the rest of my stuff from my 9G tank . put a bag of ceramic noodles under filter return from old tank to help with new bioload . corals still settling in to different light and anemones hiding from light . (the pulsing xenia wasnt planned to be in tank but not sure on what else to with them at the moment ) . the other fish the pink barred goby/dartfish was lucky as he got lost in the mail and spent 120hrs in a bag but is doing great now

IMG_20211001_180626.jpg

IMG_20211001_201404.jpg

IMG_20211001_201301.jpg

equipment

• OptiClear Low Profile Rectangle 90cm aquarium
  • magnus qq1 protein skimmer
  • jebao sw2 wavemaker
  • aqua one 50w heater
  • Aqua One Strip Glo Marine 90cm Aquarium Led Ligh
in the tank
  • azure damsel
  • pink barred zebra goby/dartfish
  • 2 nassarius snails
  • turbo snail
  • trochus snail
  • strombus snail
  • peppermint shrimp
  • 2 hammer corals
  • 1 torch coral
  • forest fire bta
  • green bta
  • 5 acan frags
  • duncan coral
  • pulsing xenia
  • fungia coral
  • toadstool leather (hasnt opened since moved )

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just set up my new tank after renovating a house and merged my 9g nano and 2.5g pico .

while in the process of fully renovated our new house I won a 90cm/36 inch light from Aqua One Australian instragram site . I decided to merge my 2 small tanks into one new one . after setting up my little tanks I really starting liking Lagoon type tanks and found Aqua one has a decent price low profile tank that would suit the light . tank size is 90x28x28cm (36x11x11 inch) 18G/71L . while the light isnt that powerful i thought the low profile tank would suit and my other tanks were similar cheap set ups . I already had a wavemaker and decided to add a protein skimmer to new tank and found a bubble magnus qq1 hang on back filter that would work with my basic set up .

next I started cycle in a tub for 2 months with some Dr tims one and only and a shrimp

IMG_20210806_141907.jpg

as soon as I had the Tv cabinet set up I set up the rock with the protein skimmer and a small pump I had . the protien skimmer has a sponge in the return area which I trimmed and put a couple layers of poly filter cut off a large square .

after a week the tank seemed pretty stabled so I added 20LB bag of caribsea oolite live sand . I really liked the look of no sand but what i wanted to add plus not much bio area I need the sand . once it had settled I moved a few corals and my damsel into to the tank . i put my little hang on filter from old pico to help with new set up ( i wanted the tank to be in a spot I could regularly see it after other ones were out the way in old house and had to stand in front to see what was going on . sorry about mess as still finding spots for everything else )
IMG_20210928_184216.jpg

a bit after that I moved the rest of my stuff from my 9G tank . put a bag of ceramic noodles under filter return from old tank to help with new bioload . corals still settling in to different light and anemones hiding from light . (the pulsing xenia wasnt planned to be in tank but not sure on what else to with them at the moment ) . the other fish the pink barred goby/dartfish was lucky as he got lost in the mail and spent 120hrs in a bag but is doing great now

IMG_20211001_180626.jpg

IMG_20211001_201404.jpg

IMG_20211001_201301.jpg

equipment

• jebao sw2 wavemaker
  • aqua one 50w heater
in the tank
  • azure damsel
  • 2 nassarius snails
  • turbo snail
  • trochus snail
  • strombus snail
  • peppermint shrimp
  • 2 hammer corals
  • 1 torch coral
  • forest fire bta
  • green bta
  • 5 acan frags
  • duncan coral
  • pulsing xenia
  • fungia coral
I wish I went with a long tank and not a cube, yours looks like it’ll turn out looking great

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I went with a long tank and not a cube, yours looks like it’ll turn out looking great
My 2 small ones before this were cube shape. After I set them up I saw some build threads and youtube video on Mr aqua 3 foot tank. This one is slightly wider and taller

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 small ones before this were cube shape. After I set them up I saw some build threads and youtube video on Mr aqua 3 foot tank. This one is slightly wider and taller
Cubes are nice but the swim room is limited and there’s not as much room for coral placement

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a few corals around. Anemone has been on the move but seems to have found a spot at the back top of large rock. Have a new clown fish
IMG_20211013_201347_951.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a few corals around. Anemone has been on the move but seems to have found a spot at the back top of large rock. Have a new clown fish
IMG_20211013_201347_951.jpg
That gudgeon looks big and a beauty, I’m guessing zebra gudgeon?

Volv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210806_141907.jpg

IMG_20210928_184216.jpg

IMG_20211001_180626.jpg

IMG_20211001_201404.jpg

IMG_20211001_201301.jpg

equipment

• jebao sw2 wavemaker
  • aqua one 50w heater
in the tank
  • azure damsel
  • 2 nassarius snails
  • turbo snail
  • trochus snail
  • strombus snail
  • peppermint shrimp
  • 2 hammer corals
  • 1 torch coral
  • forest fire bta
  • green bta
  • 5 acan frags
  • duncan coral
  • pulsing xenia
  • fungia coral
That looks amazing! Very inspirational! I have the
AquaOne MarineGlo lights as well, so could I ask, is it enough to support Bubble Tip anemone? How did your reef evolve over the years?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back