19± year old 200 gallon acrylic tank, remaining life?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm probably picking up a huge 6' tank setup. Owners had it in service for 15 years before draining in for another 4 unused, it is sitting on a wood stand with 1/4” foam, always kept inside.

Catch is they bought it used! so I have no idea of actual age.

It's of 3/4" sheet, I don't see any obvious crazing or yellowing and has one possibly 1/16” dry spot on a bottom seem (exterior). Really impressed me with it's condition.

Would you risk it? should I see another 10 years from it?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm probably picking up a huge 6' tank setup. Owners had it in service for 15 years before draining in for another 4 unused, it is sitting on a wood stand with 1/4” foam, always kept inside.

Catch is they bought it used! so I have no idea of actual age.

It's of 3/4" sheet, I don't see any obvious crazing or yellowing and has one possibly 1/16” dry spot on a bottom seem (exterior). Really impressed me with it's condition.

Would you risk it? should I see another 10 years from it?
This is clearly an acrylic tank. If it was constructed well, there is no reason that it would not last 30+ years.

BTW - you familiar with the Wyvern Hotel in Punta Gorda?

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is clearly an acrylic tank. If it was constructed well, there is no reason that it would not last 30+ years.

BTW - you familiar with the Wyvern Hotel in Punta Gorda?
Ok, that's what I figured, my 2007 Tenecor is looking like hell, but it's also underbuilt.

And no, had no clue, I just think Dragons/Wyverns are cool!

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the condition of the tank, price of the tank and if you feel like it is a good deal
$1200, Which I feel is high for a 20 year old tank, but I can't find anything close to it's condition, they all are crazed and scratched to hell.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1200, Which I feel is high for a 20 year old tank, but I can't find anything close to it's condition, they all are crazed and scratched to hell.
You said it’s a 6 footer. What is the overall size? How long have you been looking?

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard enough to sell any kind of used tank. So just make them an offer you are comfortable with and walk away. I bet they end up selling to you at your price. Acrylic that has solid clear seams will be fine.
This. Id lowball the hell out of it. You can buy a new acrylic tank for 2k-3k shipped... That ain't worth even 25% of that.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel $1200 is high for a 15+ year old used tank.
what are the dims ( LxWXH) how many gallons.
come with stand and sump?

IDK there are some good deals out there. like said above i would offer what you feel is fair.
good luck!
It's fully equipped, sump, external pump, (with the biggest plumbing I've ever seen) 4X 60" T5, 75 lbs of dry rock, stand+canopy box of socks, including a glass cube tank and stand, and a bunch of old, but working equipment.

It's 72x27x25.

I say it's high, because it is old, the stand needs refinishing and in order to move it, the plumbing must be cut open, the sump also looks undersized (overflow risk) and external pumps scare me

They won't budge on price, I tried, if they don't sell it they are taking it with them in the move. (me thinks one secretly wants to start another reef)

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Id lowball the hell out of it. You can buy a new acrylic tank for 2k-3k shipped... That ain't worth even 25% of that.
Tank yeah, the stands are just as much in this size.

Honestly I find it on the high end of fair, $900 sounds good, but they won't budge.

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard pass for me...
All the tanks by me are either stupidily overpriced, or need serious work, some literally belong in a landfill.

This is the only one that I've found that isn't a turd.

I'm fine paying too much if I can expect some life out of it.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tanks by me are either stupidily overpriced, or need serious work, some literally belong in a landfill.

This is the only one that I've found that isn't a turd.

I'm fine paying too much if I can expect some life out of it.
If you have 1200 to spend, save up some more and buy yourself a new and proper one imo. They won't even able to do it away for 1200. No one is going to pay that for something which has been used that long and has been dry for 4 years. That's just screaming "accident waiting to happen" imo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will last for ever! Don’t sweat that part.. if it’s not all scratched up and looks good I’d say it’s a steal honestly.. a sheet of 3/4” acrylic will run ya close to a grand for something decent and that’s a 4x8 . todays acrylic sucks to what that tank was made out of.. I bet you can’t find a tank that matches that for less than $3500 new.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 1200 to spend, save up some more and buy yourself a new and proper one imo. They won't even able to do it away for 1200. No one is going to pay that for something which has been used that long and has been dry for 4 years. That's just screaming "accident waiting to happen" imo.
This. Your paying 1200 for some knowingly old acrylic and a stand that needs work. I wouldn't trust or bother with any of the piping, bulkheads and prolly most of the equipment is as old as the current owner has had it or close to it. It ain't worth 1200, lol.

For real, its your money and it sounds like your hell bent on it, so go for it! I just think that's a bust there at that price or even half that, lol.

My last 150g aquarium was acrylic and I gave it away w/ the stand because selling it or dragging it to another house wasn't worth it, (my back especially) lol.

bhargs99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid 2400 for an acrylic 72"X30"X20" (200 gal.), included: sump, dual return pumps, skimmer, refugium, fully plumbed with external overflow. The tank was less than 2 years old. Hopefully that helps you compare the price.

Edit: with a custom extruded aluminum stand too!

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid 2400 for an acrylic 72"X30"X20" (200 gal.), included: sump, dual return pumps, skimmer, refugium, fully plumbed with external overflow. The tank was less than 2 years old. Hopefully that helps you compare the price.

Edit: with a custom extruded aluminum stand too!
That's a good deal! Given if this one wasn't 20yr old it would be excellent too.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fully equipped, sump, external pump, (with the biggest plumbing I've ever seen) 4X 60" T5, 75 lbs of dry rock, stand+canopy box of socks, including a glass cube tank and stand, and a bunch of old, but working equipment.

It's 72x27x25.

I say it's high, because it is old, the stand needs refinishing and in order to move it, the plumbing must be cut open, the sump also looks undersized (overflow risk) and external pumps scare me

They won't budge on price, I tried, if they don't sell it they are taking it with them in the move. (me thinks one secretly wants to start another reef)

not to bad but all or most of the plumbing will need to be redone. along with the cost of refinishing the stand. i would say 200 300 maybe cheaper depending on what you do.

you're in Florida cant believe the used tank market is that bad try living in wyoming you have more people in Miami our whole state. there must be all the deals around?

have you got a qiute from acrylic creations? I got a quote during covid for a 240- 96x24x24 with power coated stand and ext. overflow for 3.4K
maybe prices has come down a bit?

I would shop around a for a fews days personally. BUT it's your money if you thinks it a great deal then go for it.

can we see pics?

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to bad but all or most of the plumbing will need to be redone. along with the cost of refinishing the stand. i would say 200 300 maybe cheaper depending on what you do.

you're in Florida cant believe the used tank market is that bad try living in wyoming you have more people in Miami our whole state. there must be all the deals around?

have you got a qiute from acrylic creations? I got a quote during covid for a 240- 96x24x24 with power coated stand and ext. overflow for 3.4K
maybe prices has come down a bit?

I would shop around a for a fews days personally. BUT it's your money if you thinks it a great deal then go for it.

can we see pics?
It's a mixture of garbage and good stuff that is Waaaay too much, Seen good glass tanks, but I wont buy a glass tank over 100gal.

I got a quote from American Aquariums for 72”x20x20 1250 tank 1150 stand ± 500 sump and Freight (which I would peg at $500)
Not bad, but still too much for me as I also need to get more lighting and stock more fish.

331333001_5762604847169958_6968037069030660507_n.jpg
It's got potential, would restain, reseal, polish panels.

334615617_6024721174289498_8461327756011370583_n.jpg

Definitely would use thread-on pipes for the socks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back