190g - Alexey & Yuliya | Aquaforest Adventure SPS Dominant Reef Tank.

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I still see some little missed details here and there, but I'm sure I will fix them in the near future. For example, the tank was delivered without the overflow lid. I'm not sure if it was lost or not. But it's weird, will ask the manufacturer about. ;)
It’s the little things that can be the most frustrating sometimes!

Rip2131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks. Was on short holiday break and now back with some updates. ;Woot

Hi! Thanks. ;) How it's going?

Hey Shaun! It was delivered, thanks for helping with tips during the installation. Let me post an update now. :cool:
We're good! The new tank looks awesome!
My clowns are definitely dogs.
:)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in my sump:

Now that the tank is ready and running, I'm ready to share more info regarding the sump area! ;Woot

As you know, I've chosen to go with the Reef Octo sump that I've described before, and I'm extremely happy with my decision. The only thing that I was a little upset that they do not incorporate the probe holder with the sump and that you need to purchase them individually. I believe each sump in this price range should include them by default. But it's not a big deal I just got the Auqa Gadget CustomCradle XL- Innovative Marine from @Bulk Reef Supply

Custom-Cradle-Probe-Holder.jpg

First chambers:

Reef-Octo-Sump3.jpg

I never liked using filter socks, and it's too much hustle with them. Washing them, watching, so they are always clean, replacing. It's not for me for sure, so I've decided to skip them. When I see that there are too many particles in the water, I just pace a filter sock cup with filter floss inside for like a half of the day, and it's fixing the problem very quickly. And then remove it again.

Skimmer chamber:

Reef-Octo-Sump-Area.jpg

Here I have three items. Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer Elite 200SSS, which is fantastic and I can't say enough good things about. I'm super pleased with Reef OCTO skimmers. And I didn't expect at all that one day I will switch from Deltec. But all my tanks are now on Reef OCTO Elite; they are beasts. And just added also a Reef Octo Classic to the brood system and it's also working super good!

BulkReefSupply-Heaters.jpg

Second is the heater, well actually two of them. I was always using the Cobalt heaters, but this time decided to go with the 600W Titanium Heater Elements from BRS and at this moment they are doing an amazing job as well. I've connected them to the HYDROS Controller and mounted with a Zen Reef mount; the temp is very stable.

Zen-Reef-Heater-Mount.jpg

I'm a big fan of the bacterial surface and not planning using a large number of rocks in my main display, so I will be using two blocks in my sump of the XPort BIO Brick from Brightwell Aquatics. We have 6 of them in our breeding setup, and it's taking care of more than 1500 clownfish in a 150g tank. So I trust this media very much.

Brightwell-Aquatics-XPORT-Bio-Brick.jpg

Return Chamber:

In the last chamber, I will have sure the return pump and it's the Reef Octopus VarioS-8 I've expected to run this pump on maximum, but it's so powerful that I run it on only 40%.

The tank is set up in our office, so I'm super happy that all the equipment is dead silent! I can hear only very calming and gentle water flow in the sump, not even a hint of the equipment noise.

Bio-filtration remains an effective methodology for modern reefer. This sump is not constructed to have a refugium, but I'm always using chaeto in my reef tanks and this time it won't be an exemption. The ARID N24 Macroalgae Reactor from Pax Bellum will be responsible for the export of nutrients.

PAX-Bellum-ARID-Chaeto-Reactor-003.jpg

And the last item that I will have outside of the sump is the @Bulk Reef Supply carbon reactor. It's a very simple but effective piece of the equipment.

I hope I didn't forget anything! If you will have questions let me know I will be happy to share more info! Cheers! ;)

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice Alex, good to see all those equipment. Ley me know if you need any help with the aquaforest products. I used them since they are in US. Its an excellent product line. In my latest build 220G SPS build I am using 2 of the varios 8 and man with the RFG nozzle at 30% each they creates a tsunami in the tank. I really liked them.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Alex, good to see all those equipment. Ley me know if you need any help with the aquaforest products. I used them since they are in US. Its an excellent product line. In my latest build 220G SPS build I am using 2 of the varios 8 and man with the RFG nozzle at 30% each they creates a tsunami in the tank. I really liked them.

Hey! That's excellent. I would love to learn any tips on using AF products. I'm very familiar with their line, but I'm sure there are some tips here and there that I can learn based on your experience. So please, share them if you have something interesting. Thanks!

About the RFG nozzle, I love them as well. But this time I didn't install the swing check valve on the return line, so my return nozzle is very close to the water surface to avoid overfilling the sump when the return pump is off. And the lights are 9" over the water surface. If I install the RFG nozzle, it will be a crazy flow on the water surface and too close to the lights. But I have 4 powerful power-heads, and they are only at 50% and I'm still playing with different mods. I think I have enough flow already hehehe! ;Woot

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! That's excellent. I would love to learn any tips on using AF products. I'm very familiar with their line, but I'm sure there are some tips here and there that I can learn based on your experience. So please, share them if you have something interesting. Thanks!

About the RFG nozzle, I love them as well. But this time I didn't install the swing check valve on the return line, so my return nozzle is very close to the water surface to avoid overfilling the sump when the return pump is off. And the lights are 9" over the water surface. If I install the RFG nozzle, it will be a crazy flow on the water surface and too close to the lights. But I have 4 powerful power-heads, and they are only at 50% and I'm still playing with different mods. I think I have enough flow already hehehe! ;Woot
My last thread was named just like yours. AF is pretty straight forward and cheap too. When they first came out 4 years back Me, Perry, Jsker and 120reefer moved our systems on AF only. Me, Perry and 120 reefer were actually announced as AF experts and representative for their supply lines here and reefcentral and facebook by Aquaforest. Its quite nice to see how the whole productline matured over the years. If you have any question or issue over the journey just tag us we will be here. I will keep an eye on this thread too. :)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last thread was named just like yours. AF is pretty straight forward and cheap too. When they first came out 4 years back Me, Perry, Jsker and 120reefer moved our systems on AF only. Me, Perry and 120 reefer were actually announced as AF experts and representative for their supply lines here and reefcentral and facebook by Aquaforest. Its quite nice to see how the whole productline matured over the years. If you have any question or issue over the journey just tag us we will be here. I will keep an eye on this thread too. :)

Sounds good! I will note that. At this moment, the most interesting question to me is how nutrients levels react to the AF Build, AF Energy and AF Vitality dosing. I was on the Zeovit program a few years ago, and their products were very concentrated. I was using almost 1/10 of the recommended dosage. I saw a few dosing schedules from other people in the AF group on Facebook, and they were dosing it also once a day, not even close to every day as it's saying on the label. So like I understand it's also very concentrated and needs to be careful with it? Also what about the AF Amino Mix is it any good?

@Anirban @Perry @120Reefer - Thanks guys. :cool: nice too see you here.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds good! I will note that. At this moment, the most interesting question to me is how nutrients levels react to the AF Build, AF Energy and AF Vitality dosing. I was on the Zeovit program a few years ago, and their products were very concentrated. I was using almost 1/10 of the recommended dosage. I saw a few dosing schedules from other people in the AF group on Facebook, and they were dosing it also once a day, not even close to every day as it's saying on the label. So like I understand it's also very concentrated and needs to be careful with it? Also what about the AF Amino Mix is it any good?

@Anirban @Perry @120Reefer - Thanks guys. :cool: nice too see you here.
I will recommend 2 things to start with. I saw you opt for bio brick but if possible get some siporax and stack them. They will do miracle. Also, you will not need the chaeto once AF is in full effect. Its super efficient with its bacterial nutrient transport. When you start dosing just start slow with half the dose recommended because the recommendations are based on full mature tanks.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will recommend 2 things to start with. I saw you opt for bio brick but if possible get some siporax and stack them. They will do miracle. Also, you will not need the chaeto once AF is in full effect. Its super efficient with its bacterial nutrient transport. When you start dosing just start slow with half the dose recommended because the recommendations are based on full mature tanks.

Got it, thanks. I won't be using the Zeo Mix from AF. I'm used to menage my nutrients with bacteria + chaeto + skimmer. I don't want to replace the Zeo Mix every 6 months and always watching the proper flow through the reactor with zeolites. So I will start with chaeto for sure, and then we will see. My last tank was very happy with this way of managing the nutrients.

Have you been using the Zeo Mix?

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I currently run a hybrid approach. I absolutely love the C-source and Bacteria Source in the AF lineup. I don't use the supps anymore, no stones, no gfo, and carbon by them passive. I use RUSALTY oyster eggs, for food supps, along side of reef roids. I run a fuge in sump, with 2" sandbed, and mangroves. Build aids in carbobate calcium building process, it also helps to stabilize ph, it is a great supplement. Aminos, I get enough in my feeding regime. Energy is a fatty acid and lipid system, targeted to sps corals, to me, redundant to my feeding system. Vitality, is vitamins, just that, targeted for coral tissue health. I find it unnecessary, personally. That all being said, I am not full Probiotic, but I do find the bacteria and carbon source very effective. Bio media further extends biological capacity for bacteria homing, in my case, unnecessary, albeit, a good compliment to systems running full out AF. I truly believe in heavy feeding, both fish and corals, I absolutely try to give my system foods, and allow bacteria to become the conduit of po4 absorption to sps. Feel free to follow my not so conventional approach to keeping sps :)
Cheers

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it, thanks. I won't be using the Zeo Mix from AF. I'm used to menage my nutrients with bacteria + chaeto + skimmer. I don't want to replace the Zeo Mix every 6 months and always watching the proper flow through the reactor with zeolites. So I will start with chaeto for sure, and then we will see. My last tank was very happy with this way of managing the nutrients.

Have you been using the Zeo Af zeo
Yes I did. AF zeo mix is not like Zeovit. You can simply throw a bag in the sump and it will be fine. Once the tank mature your bacteria will eat up the nutrients much faster than the chaeto which will cause the chaeto to disintegrate causing a mess. AF once mature is very efficient in removing nutrients compared to zeovit. AF zeomix simply remove the ammonia so it will not let the NO3 to build up.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I currently run a hybrid approach. I absolutely love the C-source and Bacteria Source in the AF lineup. I don't use the supps anymore, no stones, no gfo, and carbon by them passive. I use RUSALTY oyster eggs, for food supps, along side of reef roids. I run a fuge in sump, with 2" sandbed, and mangroves. Build aids in carbobate calcium building process, it also helps to stabilize ph, it is a great supplement. Aminos, I get enough in my feeding regime. Energy is a fatty acid and lipid system, targeted to sps corals, to me, redundant to my feeding system. Vitality, is vitamins, just that, targeted for coral tissue health. I find it unnecessary, personally. That all being said, I am not full Probiotic, but I do find the bacteria and carbon source very effective. Bio media further extends biological capacity for bacteria homing, in my case, unnecessary, albeit, a good compliment to systems running full out AF. I truly believe in heavy feeding, both fish and corals, I absolutely try to give my system foods, and allow bacteria to become the conduit of po4 absorption to sps. Feel free to follow my not so conventional approach to keeping sps :)
Cheers
I do follow you;)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Cheers

Hey, thank you very much for sharing your way. I like feeding good quality food as well, I understand you. Will follow for sure. ;)

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may add that I haven't tested po4 or no3 in over a month, simply put, I watch my corals and observe :) I absolutely try to FEED my sysyem, too many people chase numbers and KILL corals by trying to achieve low nutrients, the system is designed for HIGH nutrient throughput, not zero food availability ;)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. AF zeo mix is not like Zeovit. You can simply throw a bag in the sump and it will be fine. Once the tank mature your bacteria will eat up the nutrients much faster than the chaeto which will cause the chaeto to disintegrate causing a mess. AF once mature is very efficient in removing nutrients compared to zeovit. AF zeomix simply remove the ammonia so it will not let the NO3 to build up.

I've heard this happening with other people. I will keep an eye on the chaeto, thanks. And do you know exactly what is the difference between zeolites from AF and Zeovit? Are thet different type of zeolites?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may add that I haven't tested po4 or no3 in over a month, simply put, I watch my corals and observe :) I absolutely try to FEED my sysyem, too many people chase numbers and KILL corals by trying to achieve low nutrients, the system is designed for HIGH nutrient throughput, not zero food availability ;)

Yes, I think the term of ULNS in reefing is a little bit wrong. In reality, all the ultra-low nutrients system are very high in nutrients, just quality nutrients that you're dosing yourself. But many people understand it wrong, strip all the food from the water and then can't understand why corals are dying. ;Writing

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back