190g - Alexey & Yuliya | Aquaforest Adventure SPS Dominant Reef Tank.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer Elite 200SSS

As the tank is very close and shipped, I'm ready to share more info about the equipment that I've decided to use for this project. And first is the skimmer. I was always a fan of Deltec skimmers and still a huge fan of them. @Deltec USA did an amazing job with their skimmers. But lately, it was hard to understand if Deltec will be still present on the USA market or not as they've changed the representative etc. So even with direct connections with Deltect Germany I was a little nervous about using one on this project without local assistance. But now I see that @Deltec USA is operating with no issues and I'm super happy for them and our community that we have access to their great skimmers. Good job, guys!

But while I was waiting for all this to settle down with Deltec I've tried the Dalua Great White Protein Skimmer GW-10 on our breeding system. And it started all good, but then it just stopped producing skimmate. I have no idea why I've contacted them several times, and they were very friendly and trying to help. But skimmer was just skimming super wet and bacterial slime only. We've tried different things with them, but it didn't change. I see a lot of reports that these skimmers are nice, but it just didn't work for our application this time.

But I think for the second project I will use the Deltec skimmer, it's hard to choose between them!

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-003-1.jpg

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-005.jpg

So I've tried next the Elite 150SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer. And OMG, this is a beast! Everything from the design, build quality, details, colors, placement of the pump, I've loved everything! It's now skimming like crazy on our breeding setup. We run it on 3 from 5 settings on the controller. After around 8 months it's going super strong and can't be happier. After that, we've decided with Yuliya that best option for our new reef tank is Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer Elite 200SSS.

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-008.jpg

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-010.jpg

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-013.jpg

Reef Octopus is killing it! :cool:

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-002.jpg

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus VarioS -8 Return Pump

As my exciting new adventure in setting up a new reef tank continues, I moved to the next step and decided to look for the right return pump to fit in my new setup. I was looking into many different options, and I was even going for one already until I did the review of the Reef Octopus skimmer. I like the idea of using the equipment from the same brand as most of the times they work very well in combo with each other. So I've decided to go with the Reef Octopus VarioS - 8. It's a very quality pump, with a controller and additional level of security in the form of a float switch. As I'm planning to use the HYDROS WaveEngine, I will be able to connect skimmer and return pump to it along with the flow pumps and control them all from one place. Sounds like a good plan to me! I hope it will work as planned! ;Woot Have a nice weekend everyone.

VarioS-8-Reef-Octopus-Return-Pump-007.jpg

Reef-Octopus-Skimmer-008.jpg

VarioS-8-Reef-Octopus-Return-Pump-003.jpg

VarioS-8-Reef-Octopus-Return-Pump-005.jpg

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow in my tank:

Hydros_WaveEngine_002.jpg

Hi guys, today I want to share with you about my flow and what equipment I've chosen to use on this build. So the tank is 6 foot long, the aquascape won't be supermassive and not very high as I want a shallow reef look with a lot of free space for fishes and visible sand. I want something that resembles the reef on the beach, where fishes are swimming around the rocks and having fun! On the same time, I'm a big fan of strong random flow. I saw many reports that HYDROS WaveEngine is impressive and decided that it will be my fundament for the flow.

Ecotech_Vortech_MP40.jpg

On my previous builds, I've used a Vortech Ecotech MP10 and Gyre pumps on my shallow reef project. And both worked very well for me so in this build I've decided to combine them. I want to place Gyre Pumps on the back wall and MP40 on the sides and run them all from WaveEngine in Random Modes to create a strong over-crossing flow. So this is the plan for now!

GYRE.jpg

Now thinking about the final light setup ...

Last edited:

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alexey,
First off thanks for all the help and wisdom you have shared with me over the last couple years! Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Looks like your building new and I'm building up. As you know, going to a Crystal Dynamic Aquarium, one of the ones you recommended ;), it is an awesome build and should be here in next couple of weeks. When your ready for frags give me a call. The ones I got from you are doing great and I can help you out with some of your own original pieces.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alexey,
First off thanks for all the help and wisdom you have shared with me over the last couple years! Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Looks like your building new and I'm building up. As you know, going to a Crystal Dynamic Aquarium, one of the ones you recommended ;), it is an awesome build and should be here in next couple of weeks. When your ready for frags give me a call. The ones I got from you are doing great and I can help you out with some of your own original pieces.

Oh nice! Thanks a lot. Send me a photo of your new tank when it's delivered and all set. ;Woot

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting solution for my reef:

This part is the most exciting of all! While I enjoy all sort of cool equipment, light is my favourite category, I think it's because I'm a photographer and it's essential for me, so the reef look nice. I had an outstanding experience with Ecotech Radions before and loved these lights. But as my friend Shaun starting his Waterbox FRAG 145.5 build and he decided to use the new Radions PRO Gen 5, I've decided to test something new on my project so we can compare and share the experience with you. So my choice for this project is Philips Coral Care Gen2. I was not very impressed by the Gen 1. But the Gen 2 looks good! My tank is 6' long and Philips recommend using three fixtures for that tank size. But I will be using only two; I'm not a fan of large, bulky scapes, so my aquascape will be shallow looking and not massive. Also, I will be using these lights in combination with Giesemann Stellar 4 bulbs fixture. I'm sure it will be enough light for any corals! But if no, I will get one more fixture later. But I'm very confident that the two will be enough! ;Woot

CoralCare_Gen2_003.jpg

CoralCare_Gen2_004.jpg

CoralCare_Gen2_001.jpg

CoralCare_Gen2_002.jpg

CoralCare_Gen2_005.jpg

CoralCare_Gen2_006.jpg

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed! Can’t wait to see this all come together.
Hey! Thanks. Was on short holiday break and now back with some updates. ;Woot

Alexey,

I just recently met you, and I am excited to follow your new journey. Best wishes!
Hi! Thanks. ;) How it's going?

Exited GIF by memecandy

Are we there yet?

Hey Shaun! It was delivered, thanks for helping with tips during the installation. Let me post an update now. :cool:

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is delivered:

Hi all! ;Woot

I have fantastic news; my tank was finally delivered. On the last day of 2020 it was delivered to my door from Germany, and it's in one piece, which makes me very happy! Because I can't hide, I worried about the over the see shipping. And I was afraid to open the container and see a crack on the tank, after almost half of the year of waiting. But everything was very good packed, and the delivery person was very gentle and helped it to pull it into the garage. And the next day very nice people from the local fish store called Fintastic Aquarium helped to move the tank inside the house. That 15mm glass is so heavy! I don't know what I would do without them. They rock!

Giesemann_Linea_2021.jpg

So I've added the rocks and started the cycle with AF Bio S and with the help of live sand from Carib Sea. As you can see on the photo water is already blooming with the bacteria.

Aquaforest.jpg

ReefHacks_Scape.jpg

After adding the sand, the water was full of "dust", but Reef Octo took it down in about 5 hours. Take a look at the skimmer collection cup. Can you see on the bottom? Maybe you can tell from this angle, but it's about 1/2" thick layer of the collected dust. Love this skimmer already from the first day.

Reef-Octo-Sump-Area.jpg

I will do more updates to show you what is inside the stand and sump soon! Happy New Year Everyone! ;Happy

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing so far!

Thank you! I still see some little missed details here and there, but I'm sure I will fix them in the near future. For example, the tank was delivered without the overflow lid. I'm not sure if it was lost or not. But it's weird, will ask the manufacturer about. ;)

Back