190g - Alexey & Yuliya | Aquaforest Adventure SPS Dominant Reef Tank.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard this happening with other people. I will keep an eye on the chaeto, thanks. And do you know exactly what is the difference between zeolites from AF and Zeovit? Are thet different type of zeolites?
What I know is zeovit zeolite reduce ammonia and also houses bacteria that why you shake them everyday but AF zeolite only absorb ammonia not bacteria so you dont need to shake them.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I know is zeovit zeolite reduce ammonia and also houses bacteria that why you shake them everyday but AF zeolite only absorb ammonia not bacteria so you dont need to shake them.

If this is the case I could mix some of it in the reactor together with carbon. Maybe like a half of the recommended dose and just replacing it on the same time when replacing the carbon. I will try to find out more info on the difference. Thanks!

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go out on a limb here, zeolites are the same, what differs is the bacteria. Probiotic bacteria is fully capable w/o use of zeolites. Whereas, the bacteria used in zeovit is designed differently, likely a nitrifying bacteria vs. a de-nitrifying bacteria. That said, it's the heart of zeovit, not with AF. I find AF more interchangeable than zeovit, but that's just a few years of experience, lol.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go out on a limb here, zeolites are the same, what differs is the bacteria. Probiotic bacteria is fully capable w/o use of zeolites. Whereas, the bacteria used in zeovit is designed differently, likely a nitrifying bacteria vs. a de-nitrifying bacteria. That said, it's the heart of zeovit, not with AF. I find AF more interchangeable than zeovit, but that's just a few years of experience, lol.

Don't you think that zeolites overcomplicate the system?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase. I mean we have everything already that we need in the system, why using them. I don't see what could happen if this Zeo Mix is skipped, this is my point.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think that zeolites overcomplicate the system?

In mine, yes. I used stack method in the day, zeo on bottom, carbon, then gfo from AF in one single fluidized reactor. Too much, unless you are available to feed multiple times per day. In a larger tank, with tons of anthias, as well as maxed out fish population, a wise choice, to absorb ammonia. I just don't find it a necessary, but with zeovit, that is the heart of the system. Pulsing media to release bacteria mulm, allows zeolites surface area cleansing. Fish, corals all benefits. Skimmer takes out the rest. But, to me, zeolites are pretty much same, application difers

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In mine, yes. I used stack method in the day, zeo on bottom, carbon, then gfo from AF in one single fluidized reactor. Too much, unless you are available to feed multiple times per day. In a larger tank, with tons of anthias, as well as maxed out fish population, a wise choice, to absorb ammonia. I just don't find it a necessary, but with zeovit, that is the heart of the system. Pulsing media to release bacteria mulm, allows zeolites surface area cleansing. Fish, corals all benefits. Skimmer takes out the rest. But, to me, zeolites are pretty much same, application difers

I see it the same way. But it's nice to know that we have additional option if we need more help with ammonia for sure. I will add this to my notes. Thanks again. :cool:

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frankly speaking my reading says they are same. But AF like to project their zeolite like this. I think less is always good. Last time I ran AF I used it first 2 years but then nothing my siporax was good enough to control all nutrient issues.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly speaking my reading says they are same. But AF like to project their zeolite like this. I think less is always good. Last time I ran AF I used it first 2 years but then nothing my siporax was good enough to control all nutrient issues.

Yes, that's sure makes sense.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the system, but establishing a system on dry rock, vs. ocean rock, 2 totally different approaches, at least to me. My system is now finding maturity, a year plus later, the key to my success lies in bacteria, and I stand by it.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the system, but establishing a system on dry rock, vs. ocean rock, 2 totally different approaches, at least to me. My system is now finding maturity, a year plus later, the key to my success lies in bacteria, and I stand by it.

I'm on the dry rocks side as well.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: What is the difference between Zeovit zeolites and AF Zeo Mix.

I've asked AF about the zeolites and the difference between zeolites from Zeovit program and the AF Zeo Mix. This is their answer: "Not much, just philosophy, they say to shake we don't see too much sense in that."

Zeolites.jpg

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Livestock Added (Day 7 of the cycle):

It's the 7th day of the cycle and AF Bio S doing an excellent job keeping ammonia away. So first reef habitants are going in! These are the Helmet Picasso Clownfish that we breed, 8 fish, and they are around one year old. We've added one large fish and other seven are smaller. So they can decide themself who will be her male. They were a little bit scared of the flow and the open space, as they have very gentle water rotation in the grow-out and smaller chambers. But now they are very happy and swimming all around! ;Woot

ReefHacks_Picasso_Clownfish_001.jpg

ReefHacks_Picasso_Clownfish_002.jpg

ReefHacks_Picasso_Clownfish_003.jpg

ReefHacks_Picasso_Clownfish_004.jpg

Reefluencer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying! I'm trying! ;Woot

I was feeling good about some recent photos I snapped until I looked at this thread. ;) This might be a silly question to a professional photographer/videographer, but are there any mobile photo/video apps that you use or recommend? I've experimented with many and have a handful I really like. Although I do sometimes wonder what pros think about apps like these and wonder if they even bother with them...

lombeard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeling good about some recent photos I snapped until I looked at this thread. ;) This might be a silly question to a professional photographer/videographer, but are there any mobile photo/video apps that you use or recommend? I've experimented with many and have a handful I really like. Although I do sometimes wonder what pros think about apps like these and wonder if they even bother with them...
Lightroom Mobile is pretty good. It allows you to shoot in RAW and set focus, white balance, etc.

Back