OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's gonna be a beast of an SPS tank one day :)

My first SPS coral was a run of the mill green bridsnest and it was very useful for me to learn the ins and outs of keeping SPS corals. I think one or two of those in different areas of your tank would give you a good idea of what's going on in the tank as it matures. As others have stated aquacultured frags would be the next step and then you can go for mini-colonies and other large pieces :)
@nautical_nathaniel Great advice which I am looking to follow... Maybe a little birds of paradise as well to kick things off? plenty of time to figure it out as I keep the tank dial in. I hope youre right that I can build this thing into a beast... I know I have a green thumb but im not convinced I have a wet thumb yet lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with everyone, love that scape. That's one thing I always struggled with. Love the red sea tanks.
@DSC reef Thank you very much! I really appreciate the feedback. So far I am really happy with the tank :) Red sea really does make an incredible tank. The only thing I will say that im not fond of is the return nozzle. With the Vectra L1 I canonly get it to about 50% until sandstorms occur. Quick fix with a splitter on the nozzle but I would think Red Sea would have picked up on that...

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Denisk Thank you so much! I have been watching your tank progress and its amazing the growth you have had on that miyagi.... whats your secret!!!!!

:eek::eek: I wish I saw the same growth you see in my frags haha. My advice is ready to be given at any point. I’ve had fairly delayed growth due to the Dino’s and then my rock scape falling but now I’m getting back on track. But since getting back on track, I’m a true believer at not chasing numbers. Don’t get me wrong, alk is super important to chase (it’s also the only parameter I check) I once in awhile check all the others. But chasing N03, Po4, and Ph is what I don’t chase. I see way to many people who have so much equipment trying to give the perfect value that the moment some maintenance was forgotten or something broke. Boom... tank crash.

I focus on things like tuning my skimmer to where if I feed x and y amount based on my fish bio load, I consistently get the same or close reading of No3 and Po4. Take it slow and at the same time if you come across any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

But I truly appreciate the compliment!

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek: I wish I saw the same growth you see in my frags haha. My advice is ready to be given at any point. I’ve had fairly delayed growth due to the Dino’s and then my rock scape falling but now I’m getting back on track. But since getting back on track, I’m a true believer at not chasing numbers. Don’t get me wrong, alk is super important to chase (it’s also the only parameter I check) I once in awhile check all the others. But chasing N03, Po4, and Ph is what I don’t chase. I see way to many people who have so much equipment trying to give the perfect value that the moment some maintenance was forgotten or something broke. Boom... tank crash.

I focus on things like tuning my skimmer to where if I feed x and y amount based on my fish bio load, I consistently get the same or close reading of No3 and Po4. Take it slow and at the same time if you come across any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

But I truly appreciate the compliment!
That's wisdom folks! I am guilty of chasing numbers and fad products in the past thinking it would turn around the tank but in reality stability and consistent water changes (I know someone doing the Triton method may disagree) but in my experience that is what has worked best for me. I was really lucky to pick up a bubbleking from @lancesmith1 and that thing is awesome! (Great seller too) so I working on dialing it in. I will definitely be reaching out and following the build :) @Denisk

Last edited:
OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of red sea, love there products. Good to know about the return nozzle, thanks for that. We run a bare bottom so I crank the flow. One day we want there largest peninsula tank.
I'm in sales and I feel that Red Sea probably has a very easy sales pitch lol Great manufacturing and customer service goes a long way. I picked up a splitter on amazon for $18.00 that looks pretty cool. As for the Peninsula tank... Thats one bad mama jamma. I wanted to get one but truly didnt have the room to do so. I really love how they incorporated the sump to include a refugium. I am trying to do a refugium in mine with the baffle kit from little Oceans UK but I am putting that project on the back burning for now

Last edited:

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's wisdom folks! I am guilty of chasing numbers and fad products in the past thinking it would turn around the tank but in reality stability and consistent water changes (I know someone doing the Triton method may disagree) but in my experience that is what has worked best for me. I was really lucky to pick up a bubbleking from @lancesmith1 and that this awesome! (Great seller too) so I working on dialing it is. I will definitely be reaching out and following the build :) @Denisk

Thank you thank you! I’m not against the Triton method as I have definitely seen success with it. Also I totally agree about trying the new stuff. I think a part of the hobby is the tinkering with all the new stuff. Heck... if that one thing you try gives better growth and or color, you’ll be so glad you did it.

I wish I could get a bubble king. I have only heard amazing things.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and scape! I love a nice sps reef! BTW my real name is Lindsay lmbo! I dont think we've met? Lol ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you thank you! I’m not against the Triton method as I have definitely seen success with it. Also I totally agree about trying the new stuff. I think a part of the hobby is the tinkering with all the new stuff. Heck... if that one thing you try gives better growth and or color, you’ll be so glad you did it.

I wish I could get a bubble king. I have only heard amazing things.
I got the littlest one they build and used lol I bet you will have one before you know it! I am very intrigued by the Triton method as I was Biology / Chem major so I do like enjoy learning about these new methods.

I am just going to keep the tinkering to a minimum (I say this now but wait) if I can lol

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and scape! I love a nice sps reef! BTW my real name is Lindsay lmbo! I dont think we've met? Lol ;Hilarious;Hilarious
@reeferfoxx Thanks for checking it out... Wait do I actually know you?! Just kidding... Lindsay is a good name :)

Last edited:

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the littlest one they build and used lol I bet you will have one before you know it! I am very intrigued by the Triton method as I was Biology / Chem major so I do like enjoy learning about these new methods.

I am just going to keep the tinkering to a minimum (I say this now but wait) if I can lol

Small or not, it’s a Bubble king haha. But honestly I look forward to this build! Tinker away!

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones If you want to borrow it just let me know :) I can get it shipped out anytime you need it
I may take you up on that offer when I do my tank upgrade! :) That's a ways down the road though, got to buy the wife a new house first ;Hilarious;Hilarious

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Redsea and the Hydra's

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and scape and WELLLLCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE back to the hobby:D;)

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and scape and WELLLLCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE back to the hobby:D;)
Thanks @KJ! I figured if I came back to the hobby I would need some expert advice from the R2R crew!

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may take you up on that offer when I do my tank upgrade! :) That's a ways down the road though, got to buy the wife a new house first ;Hilarious
Happy Wife Happy life! and if she is happy enough I bet you will get the 200 gallon custom tank and fish room from heaven! ;Hilarious When you need it just PM your address! Just promise to send it back when I need it ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back