1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here and wanted to document my new reef system. I just purchased my new home, and have started setting up my next reef system. Home and Reef tank will be finished being built this Aug or Sept. I went with Miracles because of the level of quality and customer service they provide. This will be my second aquarium from them, my first Miracles aquarium was purchased pre owned 72x36x30 w/ 2 sides starphire about 300 gallons and absolutely loved It. So very excited about my new 1000 gallon. Here are some 3D renditions of new tank and fish room/small closet with sink (its more space than having every under tank)

Tank:
Miracles 120x60x30 Peninsula
3 sides starphire glass with 60” internal overflow

Stand:
Miracles 120x60x30

Lighting: TBD

Sump: TBD

6547072D-6A80-412E-8308-E0993FEE120C.png D86C3028-ED51-4121-A3E3-7566F1EF5149.png 942BA4D2-0048-4617-9F81-E1AEC6A64344.png B7DC1C5E-A931-4984-8C60-308A7885868A.png 44ACF271-15E5-4727-A3CB-A890C53DD756.png 8B2260DF-9D5A-4030-9ED5-221E9B6A67BA.png

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and that is going to be one nice tank. Reminds me of Martin's tank on IG. My very favorite tank ever.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and that is going to be one nice tank. Reminds me of Martin's tank on IG. My very favorite tank ever.

I’ve seen that tank on YouTube, thanks for the ig information. His tank is spectacular.

I’ve been planning this build 120x?x? with Miracles email after email since 2018. Thanks again Derek for your patience.

When I saw Martin’s tank a few months ago. I thought to myself that’s exactly my tank and what I’m looking for. Lol

My equipment,sump,plumbing won’t be nearly as nice but I will splurge on lighting. Most likely eco tech G5 blues XR30’s

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dennis, I’m excited to get water in this thing. I will need to read through your build and take notes.
Heh, I was going to say, you don't want to model it on my build lol, but then I noticed you have been working on it since 2018, so maybe applicable :p

I have a deadline of having mine complete and wet, and basement cleaned up, by the end of this year. I think if I miss this deadline, like the previous 2, then I will get nominated for a spot on Hoarders:D.

When you get to trying to source a sump, depending on the size and budget, the place I have mine being built right now would be a good candidate to consider. You can see the build photos of it in my thread.

Dennis

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, I was going to say, you don't want to model it on my build lol, but then I noticed you have been working on it since 2018, so maybe applicable :p

I have a deadline of having mine complete and wet, and basement cleaned up, by the end of this year. I think if I miss this deadline, like the previous 2, then I will get nominated for a spot on Hoarders:D.

When you get to trying to source a sump, depending on the size and budget, the place I have mine being built right now would be a good candidate to consider. You can see the build photos of it in my thread.

Dennis
That sump is insane!

I definitely need to look at sump options soon. My set up will be very basic skimmer, fuge, and calcium reactor down the road.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. My only piece of advice, since your house is not built yet, is make the fish room bigger.
I will have to check with builder and see if they can make it bigger.

Problem is its behind hvac unit and water heater. Having that wall broke down and combining both rooms to make fish room bigger sounds good, but don’t want the hvac unit sucking up salt and humidity and all the smells associated to fish room going throughout the house and every room.

hopefully they can give me 5 more feet for walk in closet. Hook up hrv or something like that to vent the fish room.

A3B0946F-F862-41D5-B16F-012B6611EDDA.png

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great dimensions for a peninsula!
Thanks, took me a couple of years to decide on final dimensions. My 300 gallon 6x3x2.5 got small quick for me so decided to go to 10x5x2.5
5’ wide is gonna be really nice.

Thinking about adding extra large sliding glass doors to be able to view tank from patio too.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to check with builder and see if they can make it bigger.

Problem is its behind hvac unit and water heater. Having that wall broke down and combining both rooms to make fish room bigger sounds good, but don’t want the hvac unit sucking up salt and humidity and all the smells associated to fish room going throughout the house and every room.

hopefully they can give me 5 more feet for walk in closet. Hook up hrv or something like that to vent the fish room.

A3B0946F-F862-41D5-B16F-012B6611EDDA.png

You have a full sized water heater in your plans. Tankless units are much smaller and would allow for a smaller mechanical room. The trade off being cost.

Also, is the tank on the ground floor, is there a basement below, or no basement?

Dennis

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out other reefers in your climate... but... I am thinking you would be best to ventilate your canopy directly outside, using fresh air to feed it and a big fan blowing the length of your tank. The evaporative cooling and CO2 ventilation and cheap elimination of humidity can't be beat. Having some 4 inch vents put in for the canopy will be easy - and you can just switch them off seasonally - or if it turns out to be a bad idea.

Your HVAC does not necessarily pull air from the room that it is in. If you can set up the return so you can control that, it might be smart. There are other reefers on this forum with fish rooms in the HVAC room - who can give you good advice - and I have seen people with humid basement tanks intentionally cutting holes in the returns to suck the fish room air into the HVAC system.

Hopefully, your only smell issues will come from servicing whatever massive skimmer that you get and handling DI resin.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a full sized water heater in your plans. Tankless units are much smaller and would allow for a smaller mechanical room. The trade off being cost.

Also, is the tank on the ground floor, is there a basement below, or no basement?

Dennis
Check out other reefers in your climate... but... I am thinking you would be best to ventilate your canopy directly outside, using fresh air to feed it and a big fan blowing the length of your tank. The evaporative cooling and CO2 ventilation and cheap elimination of humidity can't be beat. Having some 4 inch vents put in for the canopy will be easy - and you can just switch them off seasonally - or if it turns out to be a bad idea.

Your HVAC does not necessarily pull air from the room that it is in. If you can set up the return so you can control that, it might be smart. There are other reefers on this forum with fish rooms in the HVAC room - who can give you good advice - and I have seen people with humid basement tanks intentionally cutting holes in the returns to suck the fish room air into the HVAC system.

Hopefully, your only smell issues will come from servicing whatever massive skimmer that you get and handling DI resin.
@dennis- it think it does come with tankless heater. I have to look into that with the builder.

it’s on concrete slab, nothing underneath 1st floor.

@FishTruck

Thanks for all the info, I will look into hvac stufftonight.

I won’t have a canopy, going with low profile light rack holding 10 ecotech xr30 blue G5’s

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back