1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do i do if my magnet cleaner is too strong, I can barely move it. Don’t want to damage glass or anything like that inside or out. It moves with microfiber towels, maybe spray with vinegar and water solution and get the towel wet to easily glide across glass?
B12D427E-6990-4905-A3D0-6716A00C7341.jpeg

This is a suggestion I have not tried but might work for you. A felt pad backing onto a piece of plywood as a spacer for the outside magnet. Try different thicknesses of plywood to find which works best. You will need to make some sort of raised edge on the plywood (to stop the magnet moving around on the plywood.) Once you know the thickness that works, get a thicker piece of plywood and rout a recess in it to the size of the magnet and to the right depth.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a suggestion I have not tried but might work for you. A felt pad backing onto a piece of plywood as a spacer for the outside magnet. Try different thicknesses of plywood to find which works best. You will need to make some sort of raised edge on the plywood (to stop the magnet moving around on the plywood.) Once you know the thickness that works, get a thicker piece of plywood and rout a recess in it to the size of the magnet and to the right depth.
Perfect next project on list, thank you.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect next project on list, thank you.

if that magnet is too strong, I would just sell it and get one that is sized correctly for your glass thickness.

you’re going to be using that every day or couple of days for hopefully many years and in the grand scheme of things, just not worth dealing with a magnet that’s too hard to use, or worse, won’t give you the precision you need to be careful around sensitive areas and could lead a potential scratch due to sand grains.

beautiful tank, well done.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that magnet is too strong, I would just sell it and get one that is sized correctly for your glass thickness.

you’re going to be using that every day or couple of days for hopefully many years and in the grand scheme of things, just not worth dealing with a magnet that’s too hard to use, or worse, won’t give you the precision you need to be careful around sensitive areas and could lead a potential scratch due to sand grains.

beautiful tank, well done.
I agree 100 percent.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful and well thought out build! Looking forward to following your progression.

As for the magnet cleaner: I think the best solution is to build a new, larger tank with thicker glass to accommodate. ;)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank this size, I’d check out Mighty Magnets. Mondo sized scrapers and engineered for specific glass thickness. Also have accessories that make it invaluable, ie algae socks. Not cheap but worth it.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we’re on the topic of magnets, and it’s a high-risk activity for me, I have a couple of practices:

- Nobody touches the magnet except me! On a previous tank, my wife had a guest come over and thought it would be a good idea to clean the glass. As fate would have it, a grain of sand made a mess of my front pane… never again…

- I use two magnets: 1) algaefree for the low resolution cleaning. Basically the majority of the area up to about 3” from each side and bottom/top. 2) flippermax for the edges using the as blade, since that gives me good precision for the high resolution cleaning around sensitive areas and it’s less likely to get sand caught in between the glass and a flat surface (the design creates a gap between the glass and flat surface that helps prevent that from happening).

- When cleaning the glass, take your time, don’t be rushed and be very careful. It just takes one careless moment to create a scratch that almost nobody will notice but will look like a huge chasm to you screaming at you every time you look at the tank…

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we’re on the topic of magnets, and it’s a high-risk activity for me, I have a couple of practices:

- Nobody touches the magnet except me! On a previous tank, my wife had a guest come over and thought it would be a good idea to clean the glass. As fate would have it, a grain of sand made a mess of my front pane… never again…

- I use two magnets: 1) algaefree for the low resolution cleaning. Basically the majority of the area up to about 3” from each side and bottom/top. 2) flippermax for the edges using the as blade, since that gives me good precision for the high resolution cleaning around sensitive areas and it’s less likely to get sand caught in between the glass and a flat surface (the design creates a gap between the glass and flat surface that helps prevent that from happening).

- When cleaning the glass, take your time, don’t be rushed and be very careful. It just takes one careless moment to create a scratch that almost nobody will notice but will look like a huge chasm to you screaming at you every time you look at the tank…
Not to toot the Tunze horn too many times.. but it won't trap pieces of gravel either. Only the cleaning blades touch the glass. This is why there is no friction, better cleaning, and no easy way to trap gravel. When the neighborhood toddler grabs the magnet and goes to town, I don't even sweat it.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to toot the Tunze horn too many times.. but it won't trap pieces of gravel either. Only the cleaning blades touch the glass. This is why there is no friction, better cleaning, and no easy way to trap gravel. When the neighborhood toddler grabs the magnet and goes to town, I don't even sweat it.

I’ll have to look at that Tunze then… although I still don’t let the neighborhood toddler anywhere near my tank ;)

will it work on 3/4” glass?

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to look at that Tunze then… although I still don’t let the neighborhood toddler anywhere near my tank ;)

will it work on 3/4” glass?
Yep on 3/4. My tank is 3/4 glass and I use the "strong" version. I usually just use the steel blades but the plastic ones work well too.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im worried if i jump corners with steel blades do i risk scratching glass? Or should i just get 3 for all panels?
Start with one. The stainless blades are a little narrower than the plastic guard so, when you jump around the corner it lifts the blade off the glass. The stainless blades are also rounded. Look it over yourself before you buy three of them and see if it looks safe.

I jump mine all the time and no scratches yet. I do have two of them though, I have one corner that can't be jumped due to woodwork.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with one. The stainless blades are a little narrower than the plastic guard so, when you jump around the corner it lifts the blade off the glass. The stainless blades are also rounded. Look it over yourself before you buy three of them and see if it looks safe.
I jump mine all the time and no scratches yet. I do have two of them though, I have one corner that can't be jumped due to woodwork.
Awesome will buy 1 to start, the “strong” model right?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods can tolerate high levels of ammonia?
They can handle some ammonia but not high amounts. They can with stand a lot of things but ammonia is the one thing that can kill them relatively quickly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back