OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Tunze magnet and I love it already did the whole tank very quickly. I will get the strong + too to see differences in cleaning strengths, and see which one works best for my tank. But so far it was very easy to use and very gentle on glass, and no scratches. Hopefully it works just as good on tougher coraline when it develops on glass.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Tunze magnet and I love it already did the whole tank very quickly. I will get the strong + too to see differences in cleaning strengths, and see which one works best for my tank. But so far it was very easy to use and very gentle on glass, and no scratches. Hopefully it works just as good on tougher coraline when it develops on glass.
C1D1B8BC-54EB-47E5-8BFD-638F3D1C2266.jpeg
45D0411D-BD25-473C-9011-B1D9A860B3F8.jpeg
572C94C0-E077-4003-B84F-B9E4F09E6D29.jpeg

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running with saltwater at 75 degrees 1.024ppm for about 10 days.

Added Microbacter Start Xlm this morning to start cycling aquarium. I fed tank two pinches of small pellet fish food.

After some consideration going to wait until tank is fully cycled before I add any reef bugs for best results.

Lights mainly off for most of day have some blue/actinic lights sometimes to look at tank in evenings or early mornings. But lighting isn’t on any schedule at the moment.

I’m running aquarium like all in one tank until I sort out the mess in the fishroom. Hopefully next month fishroom is up and running after full cycle.

Then the skimmer/uv/ozone/apex will come online.

Then kalk reactor/calcium reactor will follow couple months down the line in April.

For clean up crew I wanted to quarantine them too. Does anyone have any suggestions on clean up crew quarantine methods?

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using two of the 500’s for about a year or so I’m thinking. I replaced a 400w halide. The other half of the tank is still lit with a 400w Radium. I tried to match the light output color by eye. SPS color is better on the Kessil side for sure. Growth is equal.
Have you done any par measurements?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running with saltwater at 75 degrees 1.024ppm for about 10 days.

Added Microbacter Start Xlm this morning to start cycling aquarium. I fed tank two pinches of small pellet fish food.

After some consideration going to wait until tank is fully cycled before I add any reef bugs for best results.

Lights mainly off for most of day have some blue/actinic lights sometimes to look at tank in evenings or early mornings. But lighting isn’t on any schedule at the moment.

I’m running aquarium like all in one tank until I sort out the mess in the fishroom. Hopefully next month fishroom is up and running after full cycle.

Then the skimmer/uv/ozone/apex will come online.

Then kalk reactor/calcium reactor will follow couple months down the line in April.

For clean up crew I wanted to quarantine them too. Does anyone have any suggestions on clean up crew quarantine methods?
For qt tank my go to has always been to get a hob sponge filter and keep the sponges in the sump of the dt so they grow bacteria then move them to the hob sponge filter of the qt. Never had an issue doing this

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For qt tank my go to has always been to get a hob sponge filter and keep the sponges in the sump of the dt so they grow bacteria then move them to the hob sponge filter of the qt. Never had an issue doing this
Thanks for the info, I also YouTubed the humblefish way. I have a ton of aqua clear hob filters laying around. I will use the sponges that come with those filters and throw them in my dt to “seed” the sponges. That’s a great idea, thanks

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I also YouTubed the humblefish way. I have a ton of aqua clear hob filters laying around. I will use the sponges that come with those filters and throw them in my dt to “seed” the sponges. That’s a great idea, thanks
Just make sure if you medicate the qt that you soak the sponges thoroughly before putting them back in the sump, and if you end up seeing disease in the qt tank, just be safe and toss those sponges and get new ones to avoid cross contamination. Sponges are cheap!

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a ton of green chromis 72 of them :)

I have a 50 gallon low boy, 2-20longs hopefully this will be enough to house 72 chromis for a month in quarantine. I’m thinking I should get a 55 gallon too??

Happy I have a 1000 gallon dt, I won’t be needing to make additional saltwater for sick tanks I’ll just extract the water from the main dt. :)

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a ton of green chromis 72 of them :)

I have a 50 gallon low boy, 2-20longs hopefully this will be enough to house 72 chromis for a month in quarantine. I’m thinking I should get a 55 gallon too??

Happy I have a 1000 gallon dt, I won’t be needing to make additional saltwater for sick tanks I’ll just extract the water from the main dt. :)
Quarantine the crap out of them.
If you can get most if not all to make it that will look astonishing

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very informative read

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very informative read
It kind of reinforces what I thought from reading humblefish posts. Internal uronema is practically untreatable and ubiquitous in chromis. I feel it's an accepted pathogen with bringing them in. Even aggressive treatment won't solve the problem.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked for chloroquine and haven’t had any luck.

From what I’ve been reading the humble fish method is a great qt process and api general cure along with feeding treated fish food has good results. (Little for uronema)

The fish that I get with open sores I will separate and see if they make it in a different qt tank.

The healthier fish I will watch and hopefully they don’t take themselves out in quarantine, was told this happens with chromis often

It will be difficult to keep most of them alive through this quarantine period of 30 days, if stuff goes south and I have mass casualties because of my qt setup I will dump them in my display tank after 14 days or so.

I don’t think I will have much time to ramp up the little guys and girls to the therapeutic 2.5 copper level. It’s gonna be much quicker than that.

I’m also gonna dip them in the two part blue stuff I got from brs ,I forget what it’s called.

If I have 70 percent survive I will consider myself lucky, 50 will look amazing in tank. I also ordered 20 blue/green chromis from lfs. I’m still waiting on that order to arrive and hopefully I get at least 10-15 from that order healthy and fully quarantined. I will also quarantine them for an additional 15 days for the second batch.

I wonder how the green chromis will react with the blue/green chromis?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back