1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dennis- it think it does come with tankless heater. I have to look into that with the builder.

it’s on concrete slab, nothing underneath 1st floor.

@FishTruck

Thanks for all the info, I will look into hvac stufftonight.

I won’t have a canopy, going with low profile light rack holding 10 ecotech xr30 blue G5’s
If that tank is going to be open... you might just have them make that room a separate zone and let your main HVAC system handle it. I wish I would have zoned my fish room that way D'OH!

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that tank is going to be open... you might just have them make that room a separate zone and let your main HVAC system handle it. I wish I would have zoned my fish room that way D'OH!

Yeah I’ve been worried about humidity issues.

So having separate zone means a second hvac unit?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve been worried about humidity issues.

So having separate zone means a second hvac unit?

Not at all... Since you are building from the ground up, look into a room specific temperature control system. This will allow you to keep the ambient temp in the room where the tank is at or near the temp of the tank itself. Cuts cost on electric heaters to keep a tank that size at 78 when the room is at 72. Also, bear in mind that humidity + warm = MOLD! You will definitely want to figure out a way to vent the humidity from the room (without making it so dry that you increase evaporation from the tank)

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all... Since you are building from the ground up, look into a room specific temperature control system. This will allow you to keep the ambient temp in the room where the tank is at or near the temp of the tank itself. Cuts cost on electric heaters to keep a tank that size at 78 when the room is at 72. Also, bear in mind that humidity + warm = MOLD! You will definitely want to figure out a way to vent the humidity from the room (without making it so dry that you increase evaporation from the tank)
Thanks Jedi1199 for breaking it down for me. I will make sure i keep that in mind when upgrading my options. The tank is facing rear of house and fishroom/hvac/water heater is next to two car garage. can i have hrv system draw air and vent from garage?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely awesome tank size. Consider extra concrete footings or reinforcement where the stand will be. We don’t want any cracks from the 10,000lb tank. I’m sure you and the builder have this figured out. I can’t wait for the build.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! Vent it outside. Never ever vent humidity into a closed space of any kind. Your heater/air conditioner will likely draw from a centralized location inside the home. Again, more efficient to control air that is already near the target temp, that to bring it up or down from uncontrolled source like outside or garage.

Horror story. I have a friend in Montana that had a new bathroom upgrade done. The hack contractor vented the bathroom fan directly into the attic. The humidity from the shower rotted out the roof from the inside within 2 years! An hour of labor and $ 50 in parts would have saved her a fortune in roof repair.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely awesome tank size. Consider extra concrete footings or reinforcement where the stand will be. We don’t want any cracks from the 10,000lb tank. I’m sure you and the builder have this figured out. I can’t wait for the build.
I talked to builder about say 15-20k lbs and they told me it was fine. I will make sure they do extra reinforcements.

Thanks I’m excited too!

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! Vent it outside. Never ever vent humidity into a closed space of any kind. Your heater/air conditioner will likely draw from a centralized location inside the home. Again, more efficient to control air that is already near the target temp, that to bring it up or down from uncontrolled source like outside or garage.

Horror story. I have a friend in Montana that had a new bathroom upgrade done. The hack contractor vented the bathroom fan directly into the attic. The humidity from the shower rotted out the roof from the inside within 2 years! An hour of labor and $ 50 in parts would have saved her a fortune in roof repair
got it! I will make sure it gets done right, no soggy/moldy home for me.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an advantage most of us will never enjoy. Talk to your builder and make sure he understands that this is a space that will be dedicated to a warmer, higher humidity environment. Might as well have him run all of the plumbing in the room so you have a ready supply of water and a drain nearby (you probably already did that but it never hurts to mention).

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the drains are in floor already in hvac/water heater room thats behind the walk in closet that will be converted to fishroom. Im thinking telling them to make that one big room. I‘ll post pic of area

Attachments

• 4A469F84-3199-45EF-9A59-3C5C1A289B94.png
    4A469F84-3199-45EF-9A59-3C5C1A289B94.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 152

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see where opening the HVAC room into the WIC will have any substantial advantage. I would leave it as is IMO.

Again, I would say that a zoned (room specific) temperature control system, which is basically a thermostat in the room you want to control, low cost and simple to install, will be your best benefit. I see from your prints that the tank itself will be going into the rec room and not a specifically designed fish room. Maintaining a 78* temp in that room may be a less desirable option for you as you don't want to sit and sweat to death while you watch your tank. lol. That said, it takes an astounding amount of energy to raise a gallon of water even 1*. The closer you can maintain the ambient room temperature to the desired water temperature, the less energy it will require to maintain water temp via heaters and/or coolers. I think this is an area you will have to decide by trial and error TBH. If you can be comfortable in the room at 77-79, fine.. if you prefer 72-73, expect to spend significantly more and also have the concern of heater failure at a future date. A happy medium is my best suggestion... keep the room at 75-76 and heat the water that last couple degrees.

Also, another factor in Thermo-dynamics is that nature seeks equilibrium. Your tank is going to attempt to balance with whatever temp you set the room at. the colder the room, the harder its going to work to balance. Meaning that it will take more energy to keep the room cool, AND the more energy it will take to keep the tank warm. Make sense?

Last edited:
OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see where opening the HVAC room into the WIC will have any substantial advantage. I would leave it as is IMO.

Again, I would say that a zoned (room specific) temperature control system, which is basically a thermostat in the room you want to control, low cost and simple to install, will be your best benefit. I see from your prints that the tank itself will be going into the rec room and not a specifically designed fish room. Maintaining a 78* temp in that room may be a less desirable option for you as you don't want to sit and sweat to death while you watch your tank. lol. That said, it takes an astounding amount of energy to raise a gallon of water even 1*. The closer you can maintain the ambient room temperature to the desired water temperature, the less energy it will require to maintain water temp via heaters and/or coolers. I think this is an area you will have to decide by trial and error TBH. If you can be comfortable in the room at 77-79, fine.. if you prefer 72-73, expect to spend significantly more and also have the concern of heater failure at a future date. A happy medium is my best suggestion... keep the room at 75-76 and heat the water that last couple degrees.

Also, another factor in Thermo-dynamics is that nature seeks equilibrium. Your tank is going to attempt to balance with whatever temp you set the room at. the colder the room, the harder its going to work to balance. Meaning that it will take more energy to keep the room cool, AND the more energy it will take to keep the tank warm. Make sense?
I’m thinking keeping it the way it is, but if they won’t charge me a ton I might make them give me a little more room for the fishroom.
I’ll ask about the zone options I have with my hvac system.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With modern equipment, you can run a separate temp in the fish room, tank room, with the same furnace and AC unit... they just have to set up the duct work the correct way - ahead of time.

The next challenge will be keeping your relative humidity below 50%. If you can't dump the wet air outside in a controlled way - (which you can't since you have no canopy) - then plan for a big dehumidifier. They can be installed remotely (out of site and where you can't hear it).

If you get these two things set up - (zoned HVAC and duct work for a big dehumidifier) you will be way ahead.

The after the fact way that most of us end up doing it is with a window unit AC and also possibly a dehumidifier - which can lead to a loud situation. OK for a fish room, not so much for your rec room.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With modern equipment, you can run a separate temp in the fish room, tank room, with the same furnace and AC unit... they just have to set up the duct work the correct way - ahead of time.

The next challenge will be keeping your relative humidity below 50%. If you can't dump the wet air outside in a controlled way - (which you can't since you have no canopy) - then plan for a big dehumidifier. They can be installed remotely (out of site and where you can't hear it).

If you get these two things set up - (zoned HVAC and duct work for a big dehumidifier) you will be way ahead.

The after the fact way that most of us end up doing it is with a window unit AC and also possibly a dehumidifier - which can lead to a loud situation. OK for a fish room, not so much for your rec room.
I’ll have to make vent above tank and in fish room. Set up santa fe like yours, and set it up vent outside. Will hrv system do same thing? Or is that something else i should add on?

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I wont be doing a closed loop, and think mp60’s are a bit noisy for my taste. I think im going with Tunze Stream 3’s.... 4 should be more than enough flow. Hidden in rocks for easy access to service and clean pumps as needed. Tunze in my opion have had very silent pumps, and high quality. My only concern is cord length at 5m, if not i will mount two mp40’s on end.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any suggestions on pvc/sump 72x24x15 or 18”?

I went to take some pics of closet/fishroom and room that has hvac/ heater... not much space in either room.

so looks like I’m gonna have to keep sump small and probably set it up on racks from Home Depot.

I guess everything will be on the left hand wall, and will stack everything within the shelves.
ro/di fresh and salt mixing station.

its gonna be tight fit, we will see

073AFBE4-9ED4-4597-97DA-45A929A69DF6.jpeg 615C56D9-E2CF-4DEE-A495-AF5EFDA389A8.jpeg

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the rack, sump on bottom rack, frag tank middle shelf, and ro/di mixing station in hvac room. I should be able to squeeze everything

Attachments

• 7ED163E8-5406-4BF6-AE12-E63337BF190B.png
    7ED163E8-5406-4BF6-AE12-E63337BF190B.png
    654 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of consideration I have chosen my lighting setup.

This is gonna be a mixed reef with mostly sps, that being said I need powerful lights that will last me at least 5 years and keep up with the reef when it starts to grow out.

Going with 8 ATI Straton LEDs & maybe two 48” T5 hybrid fixtures paired with Ecotech Radion XR30 G5’s

My dimensions are 10’L x 5’W x 30”H and with ATI Straton spread of 30”x30” for one unit I can go with 8 and have plenty of coverage.

Attachments

• 3E957D90-A204-46FB-B71A-FABCCE0410EF.jpeg
    3E957D90-A204-46FB-B71A-FABCCE0410EF.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5’s will fit in middle if I add them.

Attachments

• 04449E0E-0402-41C3-884D-65E6E9C6C3A9.jpeg
    04449E0E-0402-41C3-884D-65E6E9C6C3A9.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 136

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back