1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Orphek to do the bulk of your lighting? The Amazonas or even the Atlantiks will allow you to use fewer fixtures (fewer cords and power supplies!) and not sacrific performance.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're lighting you do want, which don't get me wrong will work great and grow whatever you'd ever want, it was about 3k more and a heak of lot more chords to manage. You could even add 8 OR150 to the 8 orpheks on the outside and have great coverage and growth and the lights can be suspended much further from the surface which makes it easier for you for maintenance. Just my two cents. Either way you won't be disappointed

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the orpheks and seen them on youtube, great color and spread.

I’m glad I‘m able to try different options now, before I commit to my lighting set up.

Last few days, I‘ve been leaning towards just running the Kessil‘s and maybe flush mount them like recessed lighting. It would only be 30” give or take above surface.

I will raise my lights 36” above water level and see how the a500x‘s do 3 feet above surface.

C43A88F2-C09C-4313-BF7A-596347098D17.jpeg

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing and matching my top 4 led fixtures all week... radions,kessil, reefbrite, and T5’s

I have finally come to a final final lighting option..lol smh

Kessil hit all the marks on my system.

#1. Shimmer
#2. Color
#3. Ease of use
#4. Mounting options
#5. Intensity
#6. Cost effective

12 Kessil A500X cannon’s spaced equally 24” apart for even coverage. Installed in ceiling like recessed lighting for the cleanest look.

I will use a mix of the 35 degree and 55 degree lenses. Maybe 55’s in middle row for spread and 35’s on outer edge.

Attachments

• 1BA2FA7D-FC82-4CCE-AFB9-5C3CB891534A.png
    1BA2FA7D-FC82-4CCE-AFB9-5C3CB891534A.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 74876B8C-E40C-48D0-89B4-D055661B5D38.png
    74876B8C-E40C-48D0-89B4-D055661B5D38.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 138

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised you did not go with the Straton's? Was it the cost or the need for them to be closer to the water surface (and thus not concealable) that ruled them out?

I am pretty sure it was your thread where I noticed them first, and after researching them, I have 5 of them on order for my build.

Dennis

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised you did not go with the Straton's? Was it the cost or the need for them to be closer to the water surface (and thus not concealable) that ruled them out?

I am pretty sure it was your thread where I noticed them first, and after researching them, I have 5 of them on order for my build.

Dennis

Dennis,

The Stratons were sold out everywhere when I did lighting test. So by default they got eliminated. Lol smh.

I did light trails on a just about every combo kessil+t5, radion+t5, radion+kessil+t5+reef brites, just kessil, just radion, just t5, just reef brite. Mixed and matched every possible combination.

The AX500 Kessil had the best look and shimmer for me, for fill light I’m doing multiple units to combat shadowing issues. It looks like natural sunlight to me.

Number one reason radion&reef brite didn‘t work for me was slight disco effect on sand.

I want to mount them in the ceiling but gonna have an issue with ventilation and keeping the light cool. Still up in air on hanging options.

I will have to buy a straton and sky light to test them out for my frag tank

Not reef related but is that Mexico blue on your 992? I ordered Shark Blue back in may and just got confirmation.

Attachments

• 971D6BFA-B62C-4EC3-A684-B17BAAA7BA08.jpeg
    971D6BFA-B62C-4EC3-A684-B17BAAA7BA08.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 207

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis,

The Stratons were sold out everywhere when I did lighting test. So by default they got eliminated. Lol smh.

I did light trails on a just about every combo kessil+t5, radion+t5, radion+kessil+t5+reef brites, just kessil, just radion, just t5, just reef brite. Mixed and matched every possible combination.

The AX500 Kessil had the best look and shimmer for me, for fill light I’m doing multiple units to combat shadowing issues. It looks like natural sunlight to me.

Number one reason radion&reef brite didn‘t work for me was slight disco effect on sand.

I want to mount them in the ceiling but gonna have an issue with ventilation and keeping the light cool. Still up in air on hanging options.

I will have to buy a straton and sky light to test them out for my frag tank

Not reef related but is that Mexico blue on your 992? I ordered Shark Blue back in may and just got confirmation.

Ya, the Stratons are hard to get. I opted to order them directly from Germany. The $600 in shipping for 5 lights stung a little, but I love that they provide a wall of light and are fan-less. I am still waiting for the order to be shipped, it should be this month. From photos and videos I have seen, they do have a bit of disco though. The other contender for me was the Philips Coral Care v2, but it is a lot more white and struggles when you increase the blue. It does do an excellent job of mixing though and no disco is detectable in it (that I can see).

The 992 is a Miami Blue 4S. It is a 2020 and was the last year that this colour was available as a standard colour. That being said, they will mix up any colour you desire for 15K extra, lol. Congrats on the new 992 order. I had not seen the Shark Blue colour yet. I just googled it. Nice.

Dennis

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, the Stratons are hard to get. I opted to order them directly from Germany. The $600 in shipping for 5 lights stung a little, but I love that they provide a wall of light and are fan-less. I am still waiting for the order to be shipped, it should be this month. From photos and videos I have seen, they do have a bit of disco though. The other contender for me was the Philips Coral Care v2, but it is a lot more white and struggles when you increase the blue. It does do an excellent job of mixing though and no disco is detectable in it (that I can see).

The 992 is a Miami Blue 4S. It is a 2020 and was the last year that this colour was available as a standard colour. That being said, they will mix up any colour you desire for 15K extra, lol. Congrats on the new 992 order. I had not seen the Shark Blue colour yet. I just googled it. Nice.

Dennis

I cant wait to see the Stratons over your build. I love the sleek look, pastel colors, fanless, plus the fact that its ATI!

Thanks I’m excited….Shark Blue reminds me of a reef tank at 7pm lol.

I sold my 997.2 4S in January, and was looking into getting GT3. Mexico blue was my next color option, but wasn‘t available Like you mentioned.

Getting a build allocation on the GT3 is next to impossible at the moment. Dealer gave me a build allocation on S model only, or it would‘ve been a 4S. So I made my own version of GT3

My 997.2 4S was black black- Vader
992S is blue red- Superman

Attachments

• 720E6C1F-BC92-4D85-B12E-EBCA56E51BB5.jpeg
    720E6C1F-BC92-4D85-B12E-EBCA56E51BB5.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 194

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is epic so far! Thanks for sharing!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the dimensions! My tank is a similar ratio, but couldn’t go as big, too heavy!

Don’t forget about MH, the shimmer looks even better than Kessils, much better spread, and if you live somewhere cold (I think Virginia is cold?), means you don’t need to run thousands of watts of heating. Giesemann spectras always look very clean In white, and you get T5’s with them, too.

Any plans on how you’re going to have water movement on the far end without a bunch of cables? Or maybe set up some kind of surge device?

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the dimensions! My tank is a similar ratio, but couldn’t go as big, too heavy!

Don’t forget about MH, the shimmer looks even better than Kessils, much better spread, and if you live somewhere cold (I think Virginia is cold?), means you don’t need to run thousands of watts of heating. Giesemann spectras always look very clean In white, and you get T5’s with them, too.

Any plans on how you’re going to have water movement on the far end without a bunch of cables? Or maybe set up some kind of surge device?
Thanks MartinM,

I love T5/MH combo alot and thought about having a mix led/mh/t5.

My only issue would be look of everything above tank and bulb replacements.

I’m going for an ultra sleek look above tank and kessils A500X hit all the marks.

For flow I’m mounting Tunze stream 3’s on one end and have them on at random flow settings.

Im not gonna have a bunch of rock in display and will only have a small amount of corals so they can fully grow out.

Back