1st baby calls for a 1st build..let's call it...the BABY BUILD!

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to begin..I first got into reefing this year (2020) because a neighbor was selling her mother's house and asked my wife and I if we wanted her freshwater aquarium. I grew up with freshwater tanks during my childhood and it was a no brainer for us. YES PLEASE! Within one week, we went out and purchased another tank (55g bowfront) with no idea the depth of the hobby. Classic, right? This was around February. Both tanks are running great. My wife keeps the freshwater and I pour all my love into the saltwater tank. However, the more I learned the more I wanted to change. I learned more about SUMPS and filtration, flow, fish, and corals, ect...the list is endless as you all know.

Fast Forward to July 4th weekend..we found out we were having our first child. How amazing! At the same time I decided I really wanted to take on a new, huge, and exciting project surrounding my growing love as a reefer. I scored a 150G glass tank off craigslist through a local hobbyist and the game was on.

47621.jpeg

Here she is when I first brought her home in my work van. It was drilled with one hole for a 1" bulkhead but I new I wanted so much more...but first, I needed to build the stand.

47627.jpeg

47619.jpeg

I've been in trades my whole life, but, what I know my way around the best is electricity. For the past 7 years I've been working for Tesla within the energy division installing solar panels and doing service changes. Now a days, I install the powerwall battery systems. So I said to myself; why not run a dedicated 60A circuit to my garage to a load center that houses 4 x 20A breakers to power 4 x gfci's and rearrange the whole man cave? WHY NOT?!!?
20200721_172103.jpg

Here's my basement as a took down the TV to rearrange for the tank.
20200721_183236.jpg

In process still of moving everything..sorry for the blurry photos there!
20200801_155616.jpg

There is the run to the load center and where I open/repatched the wall to run/reroute my circuits. I have to say my wife is amazing for letting me create such a mess at times!
20200801_155624.jpg

20200801_155424.jpg

20200801_180101.jpg

And finally painting after all the patching was completed...now back to the tank itself. I widened the hole that was drilled with a dremel to run a 1.5" drain. Once I did that, I realized I wanted to drill it for at least a herbie. Once I drilled that, I figured why not drill two more 3/4" returns and run two pumps back. One being through UV. WHY NOT?!!?
20200904_134603.jpg

From here I new I was on a budget..CAUTION:BABY ON BOARD and I need to make an overflow. I bought a piece of acrylic from a local plastic company and started on my template and laying out my slot width and depth to achieve the flow I would want at most.
20200905_162230.jpg

I now realize I should of started this a while ago and updated as I went..not only for the help and suggestion that are provided from all the members here..but it's so much at once to get out! I ended up using a table saw to cut my slots for 1500 gph flow. I chose a piece of black cast acrylic that is 5/8ths an inch. I cut using the table saw 1/2 the depth of the sheet on each side roughly 9 inches in and hit it with a heat gun to mold to my pre made template.
20200905_162218.jpg

20200905_122157.jpg

Here is one of the final photos I have loaded up for today of the start of my rough/dry plumbing for draining/returns before I officially used weld to put the overflow in place.
20200913_135908.jpg

That is my stopping point for tonight. Upnext: A list of what equipment will be going into the tank...but for now here is a nice recent Tesla Powerwall pic for you enjoyment.
IMG_20200929_161839_0.jpg

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to begin..I first got into reefing this year (2020) because a neighbor was selling her mother's house and asked my wife and I if we wanted her freshwater aquarium. I grew up with freshwater tanks during my childhood and it was a no brainer for us. YES PLEASE! Within one week, we went out and purchased another tank (55g bowfront) with no idea the depth of the hobby. Classic, right? This was around February. Both tanks are running great. My wife keeps the freshwater and I pour all my love into the saltwater tank. However, the more I learned the more I wanted to change. I learned more about SUMPS and filtration, flow, fish, and corals, ect...the list is endless as you all know.

Fast Forward to July 4th weekend..we found out we were having our first child. How amazing! At the same time I decided I really wanted to take on a new, huge, and exciting project surrounding my growing love as a reefer. I scored a 150G glass tank off craigslist through a local hobbyist and the game was on.

47621.jpeg

Here she is when I first brought her home in my work van. It was drilled with one hole for a 1" bulkhead but I new I wanted so much more...but first, I needed to build the stand.

47627.jpeg

47619.jpeg

I've been in trades my whole life, but, what I know my way around the best is electricity. For the past 7 years I've been working for Tesla within the energy division installing solar panels and doing service changes. Now a days, I install the powerwall battery systems. So I said to myself; why not run a dedicated 60A circuit to my garage to a load center that houses 4 x 20A breakers to power 4 x gfci's and rearrange the whole man cave? WHY NOT?!!?
20200721_172103.jpg

Here's my basement as a took down the TV to rearrange for the tank.
20200721_183236.jpg

In process still of moving everything..sorry for the blurry photos there!
20200801_155616.jpg

There is the run to the load center and where I open/repatched the wall to run/reroute my circuits. I have to say my wife is amazing for letting me create such a mess at times!
20200801_155624.jpg

20200801_155424.jpg

20200801_180101.jpg

And finally painting after all the patching was completed...now back to the tank itself. I widened the hole that was drilled with a dremel to run a 1.5" drain. Once I did that, I realized I wanted to drill it for at least a herbie. Once I drilled that, I figured why not drill two more 3/4" returns and run two pumps back. One being through UV. WHY NOT?!!?
20200904_134603.jpg

From here I new I was on a budget..CAUTION:BABY ON BOARD and I need to make an overflow. I bought a piece of acrylic from a local plastic company and started on my template and laying out my slot width and depth to achieve the flow I would want at most.
20200905_162230.jpg

I now realize I should of started this a while ago and updated as I went..not only for the help and suggestion that are provided from all the members here..but it's so much at once to get out! I ended up using a table saw to cut my slots for 1500 gph flow. I chose a piece of black cast acrylic that is 5/8ths an inch. I cut using the table saw 1/2 the depth of the sheet on each side roughly 9 inches in and hit it with a heat gun to mold to my pre made template.
20200905_162218.jpg

20200905_122157.jpg

Here is one of the final photos I have loaded up for today of the start of my rough/dry plumbing for draining/returns before I officially used weld to put the overflow in place.
20200913_135908.jpg

That is my stopping point for tonight. Upnext: A list of what equipment will be going into the tank...but for now here is a nice recent Tesla Powerwall pic for you enjoyment.
IMG_20200929_161839_0.jpg

Two Solar Edge inverters right? How many watts are your panels producing a day? A powerwall is what 6kWh or 10? That's one heck of a battery back up! Is it set up to be self consuming? Sorry total hi jack!

Congrats on the 1st baby! :)

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Solar Edge inverters right? How many watts are your panels producing a day? A powerwall is what 6kWh or 10? That's one heck of a battery back up! Is it set up to be self consuming? Sorry total hi jack!

Congrats on the 1st baby! :)
That is just my most recent job. Each powerwall is 13.5 kw/hr of storage and the two inverters are for 16 KW on the roof!

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin the pace and progress! You are clearly investing in the long haul with this build. Your DIY attitude and enthusiasm is refreshing. The patience you show is a seemingly lost nuance in this hobby. I think you will be largely successful and look forward to seeing your progress. Watching!

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*facepalm*

I meant to also congratulate you on the forth coming family adventure! Newb daddy/(bigtank)Reefer FTW!! If you can be 1/2 as patient a father as you seem to be a reefer...you and your family are blessed! *cheers*

Appreciate that my friend! And thank you for the support to everyone.

I've been gone for the week in Salt Lake City for work, but, started my cycle last Saturday before I left. I had my wife looking over the tank while I was gone. I however, did make the mistake of going to fast. I wanted to get it started and cycling right before I left and tuned her into what needed to be looked after. But I didn't think about the amount of evaporation that would take place last week while I was gone when dialing it in. All of a sudden I got a phone call on my way home yesterday that she opened the gate valve all the way and the return section was still low...I just had her shut the pumps off and close the drain so we could mitigate the issue for the last 5 hours of my drive back.

When I got home I installed the Aquamaxx AF-1 that arrived while gone (had a big filter sock previously just to catch random stuff) and moved my Tunze ATO from my upstairs tank downstairs for the evaporation. I also got in my 1st MP40WQD while I was gone and got that installed and cleaned up my wiring.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Congratulations on your baby!!
2. Welcome to the hobby as well as Reef2Reef. It will become an addiction. Im not kidding im 15 and spend almost all my money on my small 20g. :)
3. What are you planning on adding to the tank, fish and coral speaking? May I suggest a mandarin? They need lots of copepods to eat, which are the tiny little crustaceans, and eat basically just that. They dont do well in smaller tanks because they can eat hundreds or even thousands of pods in a day, but if you seeded your big tank with lots of pods, then added some corals, clownfish and other stuff, waited maybe 6 months, you would be totally fine adding a mandarin, with almost no worries. Search up a pic of a mandarin fish and tell me its not beautiful XD
Good luck with whatever you choose! And the baby!

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now here are my intentions:

Aquamaxx AF-1 Roller
2x MP40WQD (one bought)
MP10WQD (moved from upstairs when I transfer that livestock)
LifeReef SVS2-24 skimmer (still need)
Chaeto in my Refugium (2nd chamber where I installed tinted 1/4" plate glass)
2 x titanium 300W heaters on a controller (need to buy; right now I'm just keeping temp with a 300W in the display I had extra)

I plan on buying my lights next and I'm wondering anyone and everyone's thought to look into more. RIght now I am running AI in my tank upstairs but have contemplated running a combination. I've read a lot of people are very sucessful with that. Upstairs I have an AI 32 and 16 prime over a 55g.

I'm thinking maybe a 64 HD in the middle of the tank and 2 x 32 HD on each side but cannot find out more about the spread of the pucks. It'd be alright for me to have dark corners.

Anyone want to through any ideas out there I can look into?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now here are my intentions:

Aquamaxx AF-1 Roller
2x MP40WQD (one bought)
MP10WQD (moved from upstairs when I transfer that livestock)
LifeReef SVS2-24 skimmer (still need)
Chaeto in my Refugium (2nd chamber where I installed tinted 1/4" plate glass)
2 x titanium 300W heaters on a controller (need to buy; right now I'm just keeping temp with a 300W in the display I had extra)

I plan on buying my lights next and I'm wondering anyone and everyone's thought to look into more. RIght now I am running AI in my tank upstairs but have contemplated running a combination. I've read a lot of people are very sucessful with that. Upstairs I have an AI 32 and 16 prime over a 55g.

I'm thinking maybe a 64 HD in the middle of the tank and 2 x 32 HD on each side but cannot find out more about the spread of the pucks. It'd be alright for me to have dark corners.

Anyone want to through any ideas out there I can look into?
Whatever you choose, stick with AI. Ive got one for my tank, works perfectly. Always sticks to schedule, never breaks, definitely a good choice

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Dark_Knightt this is my current tank.

Fish:

Cangaii Cardinal
Melanurus Wrasse
Diamond Back Goby

Corals:

Purper Torch
Neon Green Hammer
Pink Hammer
A Chalice
Bunch of Palys/Zoas
Duncan

I do have a stocking list in the works but it isn't ready quiet yet..in the mean time here is some pictures of my current tank.

20201011_155503.jpg

20201011_155515.jpg

20201011_155508.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,looking good ,two suggestions,lights,look into viperspectra black boxes,
second, add a small shelf on back edge bottom of tank ,to protect electronics :cool:

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Dark_Knightt this is my current tank.

Fish:

Cangaii Cardinal
Melanurus Wrasse
Diamond Back Goby

Corals:

Purper Torch
Neon Green Hammer
Pink Hammer
A Chalice
Bunch of Palys/Zoas
Duncan

I do have a stocking list in the works but it isn't ready quiet yet..in the mean time here is some pictures of my current tank.

20201011_155503.jpg

20201011_155515.jpg

20201011_155508.jpg
Love the torch ! How big is this tank?
For the 150g i would suggest adding some more things, in the end at least. You can do a lot with 150g... Puffers, boxfish, eels, basically anything you want lol XD Melanarus wrasse is cool choice though. Awesome coloration

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,looking good ,two suggestions,lights,look into viperspectra black boxes,
second, add a small shelf on back edge bottom of tank ,to protect electronics :cool:
Thanks for the suggestion @fishguy242! I'm actually going to be building the canopy next weekend along with another cabinet to the right of the stand to block in the 5 gallon bucket holding my ATO water and electronics (I need to to be able to keep the new kid away from that stuff along with water) so it's all protected. It will be fully inclosed soon. I'll look into viperspectra black boxes now..seems very affordable. How are they controllable?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i will find and tag you to some threads later;):cool:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back