1st day SG issues

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my tank. Got some SW from my LFS & just got my refractometer. Tested the water and I'm getting a reading of 1.015. I calibrated the refractometer 3x and still getting the same reading from tank and SW jug.

I just have about a gallon of that saltwater left. I don't have salt or a rodi system as of yet since my reef is only a 20 gallon .

Any recommendations?

Would letting the water evaporate to the correct salinity and topping off with RO work ?

I'm pretty annoyed considering I payed for the water.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes evaporation would correct the low reading. i would keep some of it back and take it to the LFS and ask them to check it.
Cool. I'd top off with RODI once salinity raises to the SG correct ?

I'm worried now because now I can't use that LFS as a reliable source ...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have calibration fluid for your refractometer? Otherwise I would ask for reimbursement from your LFS. They may not even know it is that low.

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have calibration fluid for your refractometer? Otherwise I would ask for reimbursement from your LFS. They may not even know it is that low.
No the refractometer didn't come with calibration fluid. I calibrated per instructions with RODI water. Yea I think ima bring in my jug and refractometer tomorrow

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the refractometer didn't come with calibration fluid. I calibrated per instructions with RODI water. Yea I think ima bring in my jug and refractometer tomorrow
Heard a lot of people with bad readings when not calibrating with the actual fluid. There's a recipe for a DIY solution buried in these forums somewhere.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back