1st reef, lots of questions, supet curious.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that light have a timing system? And how does it suspend over the tank without hanging from the ceiling?

Also, what does tanked raised nes mean?
I believe the light has a timer system in its programming function. If not, a simple digital lamp time will do the trick. It uses a bracket that clips to the back of the tank to suspend it above the tank. LED lights generally need to be higher over the tank than standard lighting. The bracket accommodate this requirement.

My bad... "nes" was supposed to be "ones". Tank raised Clownfish may not use an anemone as host as readily as wild caught.

Hey yall, this is what I meant about wanting lighting that sits on top of the tank. Are these no good? Will coral not thrive on leds like this? Not these specifically but this style of light....
Coralife makes a lot of entry level stuff. This light is no different. There is a rule that states that if you buy cheap, you will buy twice. I'd look at a little better system. While it might be enough for your nem and some entry level soft corals, It won't work for the corals you will want later... Trust me, you will want other corals later.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, this is what I meant about wanting lighting that sits on top of the tank. Are these no good? Will coral not thrive on leds like this? Not these specifically but this style of light....
That light specifically I would not buy, but there are many lights out there that mount onto the back of an aquarium and will keep the top open to let you reach into the tank for maintenance.
Budget and aesthetics are key as there are many fantastic brands out there for this like ATI or Ecotech but there are less expensive ones that work like noopsyche or smatfarms and all in between

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light specifically I would not buy, but there are many lights out there that mount onto the back of an aquarium and will keep the top open to let you reach into the tank for maintenance.
Budget and aesthetics are key as there are many fantastic brands out there for this like ATI or Ecotech but there are less expensive ones that work like noopsyche or smatfarms and all in between
I have to have a lid, I have a cat

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to have a lid, I have a cat
Netting is a better option. Allows for better gas exchange and does not reduce light. If you are buying stuff, check out Bulk Reef Supply

They have lots of equipment from inexpensive to outrageous. You can look up lights, pumps, lids or netting, and about anything else you need for your reef. Their customer support is great and pices reasonable. Trying to find stuff through Amazon or the like makes it hard to compare specs and prices. .

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Netting is a better option. Allows for better gas exchange and does not reduce light. If you are buying stuff, check out Bulk Reef Supply

They have lots of equipment from inexpensive to outrageous. You can look up lights, pumps, lids or netting, and about anything else you need for your reef. Their customer support is great and pices reasonable. Trying to find stuff through Amazon or the like makes it hard to compare specs and prices. .
What is netting? My guy likes to walk on the tops of the tanks soooo.....yeah he's chunky too lol

Thanks for the link I'll check them out

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is netting? My guy likes to walk on the tops of the tanks soooo.....yeah he's chunky too lol

Thanks for the link I'll check them out
Netting is a clear plastic screen that fits the top of the tank. Kits are available at Bulk Reef Supply. Your chubby kitty would probably fall through... once... then he'd stay away.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Netting is a clear plastic screen that fits the top of the tank. Kits are available at Bulk Reef Supply. Your chubby kitty would probably fall through... once... then he'd stay away.
Lol see people said this About the glass lid on my other tank but I've been so scared to let him try I change the cover at night to our old tank lid that I know supports his weight :')

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kitty go swimming if he jumps on netted cover.
A netted cover also requires cutting of frame to fit the tank.
Ah see I won't get into all of that, why can't I just do a glass lid? Like this one on my freshwater, same setup but do it with corals and saltwater?

Attachments

• 20221206_190337.mp4
    36.7 MB
OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank needs to exchange gas. Pumps cavitate the water surface to aid in gas transfer but if the tank is covered the gas transfer is not as much as it should be. This aids in tank/water chemistry
But the back of the lid is open would this not be enough for gas exchange?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah see I won't get into all of that, why can't I just do a glass lid? Like this one on my freshwater, same setup but do it with corals and saltwater?
reefing is a completely different ball game. most knowledge from freshwater keeping wont translate over well to reefing especially if you plan to keep corals. Could it work with a glass top, yes, but unless you have a sump (or other method of keeping O2 up) O2 exchange will probably be very low and can result in quick death of tank inhabitants.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An air pump and bubbler will work but again that is more for freshwater and you will have to deal with a bunch of salt buildup so it isnt worth it.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank needs to exchange gas. Pumps cavitate the water surface to aid in gas transfer but if the tank is covered the gas transfer is not as much as it should be. This aids in tank/water chemistry
This I understand, what I'm not understanding is why the back of the tank lid being open, like my freshwater tank is, would not suffice in a reef setup. Is this because corals do not oxygenate the water like plants do? Also I know my bubbler helps with oxygen levels but it isn't always running and I haven't always had one and still no issues....sorry I'm just so confused :/ and I'm not saying I want to put a bubbler in my reef, as you lovely people have taught me that a bubbler is a hassle in reef setups ;)

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I understand, what I'm not understanding is why the back of the tank lid being open, like my freshwater tank is, would not suffice in a reef setup. Is this because corals do not oxygenate the water like plants do? Also I know my bubbler helps with oxygen levels but it isn't always running and I haven't always had one and still no issues....sorry I'm just so confused :/ and I'm not saying I want to put a bubbler in my reef, as you lovely people have taught me that a bubbler is a hassle in reef setups ;)
You need a lid of sorts. Fish jump. I've lost 2 to the carpet dance.
I used to have a perspex lid with a hole but have since upgraded to the redsea netted lid.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a lid of sorts. Fish jump. I've lost 2 to the carpet dance.
I used to have a perspex lid with a hole but have since upgraded to the redsea netted lid.
Do they have netted lids that come with cut outs already? Or have one I can build into what I want?

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually coma as kits. You measure and cut.

If you know someone with a laser cutter they could do a Perspex lid with a ton of holes
Does one usually know people with laser cutters :')

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back