1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dytrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do we find the list of necessary things for a reef tank?
experience, forums, other reefers that can talk to.. im new and that idea the op has seems hard work for a beginner, sure if highly motivated to do the work thats fine but my understanding from what the op wants is a low maintence tank :oops:

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can run a much cheaper tank now that I have close to a year of reefing experience. My first tank was expensive and ugly (it was a petco tank). lol

You can definitely setup a 20g for $450. Make sure you are prepared and understand that there will be some incidental expenses every now and then.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bunch of snotty, effete replies. No wonder this hobby is struggling. The OP states multiple times hes not growing acros but he keeps getting replies involving acropora growth. Reading skills lacking? Screw acropora. This hobby does not revolve around $400 reef lights and acropora.

I have a 20L ($25) that I cover with glass, dont run a skimmer , dont run a sump, use a $100 black box, never do water changes, uses less than 1gal of topoff water a week, and I'm running out of room with psycho growing SPS. I literally throw montipora in the trash because I don't have room.

So, his $500 ,budget is entirely realistic for what he wants to do. He also doesn't need a skimmer if he only stocks fish up to his nitrate tolerance level.

I agree on the spending part. As I replied earlier you can make a nice sucesfull 20g reef for $400 no problem.

My concerns have nothing to do with the money he is spending, but rather than how he plans to run the tanks. A valenti puffer, dwarf lionfish, blenny in a 20g with 0 filtration just dont make sense to me. In time I think you can get a stable 20g with only LR as filtration, but I dont think you can do so with those fish in that size tank unless you starving them. Even a hob to put carbon in and have some mechanical filtration you can rinse regularly. Something has to filter out the blenny after the lionfish excretes him.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d agree money isn’t the most determining factor in this hobby. I’ve just never heard anybody seem to think it will be so easy. It’s not no matter how much you spend. Experience trumps all. I’m paying dearly for that right now lol.

Haha most of us have been there at some point just stick with it! Even doing a lot of research the hobby can be challenging at times even for experienced reefkeepers.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to add but wanted to say that if you prefer more visual learning (like me) I'd highly recommend hoping on YouTube and searching for some beginner saltwater stuff. Especially BRS videos have been a great resource for me personally, check out their 5 minute guide if your short on time they condense everything important you need to know about starting a tank. With or without x and y equipment the more you know the better you can judge how to fit your own budget realistically and safely for its future inhabitants :) Goodluck!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then spending more money makes you more successful? This makes no sense. I think having experience will make you successful and that doesn’t need a 10k setup.
Absolutely not, expensive equipment does not mean success in the slightest, but the OP’s obvious unruly expectations and lack of knowledge, making comments such as that powerheads are “filtration” shows this and I couldn’t help myself but comment that yes this is possible but with his plan for a low maintenance system, and with fish like the valentini or lion, I can’t understand how one could tell him every thing will be hunky dory. I don’t want people to come into the hobby only to lose a buttload of cash and leave. This hobby can be wonderful but it also can be devastating, I wish to keep it to the prior

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything the others are saying is right, im just gonna add that they said that their parents wont let them get any used products so they are probably pretty young, lets try not to discourage them.
that said saltwater tanks are hard and need almost daily attention (adding water food etc.) if not paying to automate the system and will need some mechanical filtration

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not, expensive equipment does not mean success in the slightest, but the OP’s obvious unruly expectations and lack of knowledge, making comments such as that powerheads are “filtration” shows this and I couldn’t help myself but comment that yes this is possible but with his plan for a low maintenance system, and with fish like the valentini or lion, I can’t understand how one could tell him every thing will be hunky dory. I don’t want people to come into the hobby only to lose a buttload of cash and leave. This hobby can be wonderful but it also can be devastating, I wish to keep it to the prior

He probably meant that flow + live rock = biological filtration.

I can't see the fish he chose working in a low/no maintenance tank when he says he vacations a lot though.

He would be better off with some easy feeders with low bioload like a pair of clowns, neon goby, etc. He can use an automatic feeder that way.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the op initial words,my first thoughts was of some videos of a guy living in wales who goes to the coast near him and collects algae,crabs,shrimp, blennies,anemomies,and got to admit he tanks look kind of cool so thought i message here as after i been on day out ( to wales as a coincedence) i may try find a link to some his videos.maybe something op is interested in or may get some useful tips as pretty sure guy in video has no skimmer,no sump etc etc etc.
Maybe op doesnt live near coast so not feasable but will find one this guys videos as i found interesting anyhow ^_^

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s certainly possible, especially if you do a little more research and modify your plan a little.

I’d recommend going with an all-in-one tank like the Fluval Evo 13.5.

I’d also recommend watching this YouTube series about how to set this tank up on a budget.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here the guy " marks aquatics"
He basically sets up cheap marine tank and goes foraging when tide goes out and got a really colourful/ cheapish tank.i say cheapish as i have watched few videos where he thought something would work but then upgraded but i found very interesting watching him go collect all the livestock from the coast.( ovbiously need like close to coast i know )

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a screenshot from video.he got macro algaes.anemones,crabs,snails ,mentions will get some wrasses shortly.he got full series he does and he does it relatively cheaply and if i didnt buy all the stuff for my tank 5 years ago.i would be tempted to try replicate his tank.as think it looks colourful and cool,i live liverpool so only few miles from irish sea coast and north wales under a hour drive away so do-able.anyway i need finish off getting ready to set off.its 7.54 am ,hope you all have a good day ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-075019_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-075019_Chrome.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 35

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research on used tanks/ equipment and screenshot written/ articles or videos on peoples experiences with buying used things and show your parents and try convince them its ok ( ovbiously everything in life is a risk)
And some even say they would want to buy a second hand quality piece of equipment rather than a brand new cheap product.
But either or either,i wish you best of luck in whatever you choose to do and put photos/ videos up of your journey.lets see what you can achieve ^_^

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just because one person can do it doesn’t mean that every person can. Just because one person wins the lottery doesn’t mean the billions of others who play it will win.
Starting a successful a sumpless skimmerless nano softy tank under $450 is not a lottery gamble its basic reefing. The only serious issue is OP needs to reevaluate the fish stocking.

There have been any number of various successful tanks that are wall to wall with nothing but modded maxijets, 6500k halides, and no sump. Stability within defined priorities not gear is key to success in this hobby not expensive gear. I think with all the new toys to make some aspects theoretically easier we forget the old simple ways still work.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah imo it’s more about the live rock which is going to serve as my bio filter. I don’t like all the rare fish that glow under the lights and the designer clowns. I like fish like blennys and puffers and clarkii clowns and hawk fish. I’m thinking a puffer a hawk fish a blenny a pair of clarkii clowns then maybe one other thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back