1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree with like 20000k blue light and acros but I agree with using a background
Lol though, you shouldnt have any opinion on this matter unless you have experience growing acropora, acropora will grow worse or just be brown when grown under bad lights, then try to sell that to anybody. blue lights are a tried and true method to get better growth and coloration,

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is water at like petco bad?
Yes. You need a RODI not a RO. You need the DI as well as testing your tap water with a TDS meter before hand. I have tds over 300 and I have to run a 7 stage rodi to make 0 tds. If not I’d kill everything which I lost about $5k of sps from a 4 stage rodi when I was noob. Take this from a guy who’s seen it all. I’ve lost over $60k in coral in my lifetime (Most was from a fire) and I’ve also made $20k+ a month selling coral. I’ve done cheap and I’ve done crazy expensive, I’ve bought used stuff and did diy. I’ve seen a lot of hobbyists get in and leave before their feet got soaked. You have a lot to learn and experience.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it is being airline shipped, my friend said his came mostly submerged and very moist
that doesnt mean there isnt die off, there 100% is die off unless it is shipped in a bucket filled to the brim with water, which no one does.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so excited that I have honors bio next year. It’s all about the nitrogen cycle right?
lol, no you will be learning basic ecology and anatomy. Chemistry maybe learn about molecular processes but no one teaches the nitrogen cycle in high school

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned nothing of how to keep fish but I learned how the wild environments are and look like so I’m going to mimick them as best as possible with lighting and flow, if I know about the environments most of the stuff based on care kinds fslls into place imo

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, no you will be learning basic ecology and anatomy. Chemistry maybe learn about molecular processes but no one teaches the nitrogen cycle in high school
maybe your high school just differed or forgot about it, but I feel like I learned it in 8th or 9th grade and that was some school in middle of no where south georgia.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your in 8th grade?
Angry How Could You GIF by Mammoth Screen

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned nothing of how to keep fish but I learned how the wild environments are and look like so I’m going to mimick them as best as possible with lighting and flow, if I know about the environments most of the stuff based on care kinds fslls into place imo
it doesnt though, it is the reason most people failed at this hobby in the 1970s and 80s, you cannot mimick or replicate the environment, what you are describing is an impossibility that we cannot accomplish in fish tanks

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it doesnt though, it is the reason most people failed at this hobby in the 1970s and 80s, you cannot mimick or replicate the environment, what you are describing is an impossibility that we cannot accomplish in fish tanks
Yeah sry to break it to you bro but this is true :(

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe your high school just differed or forgot about it, but I feel like I learned it in 8th or 9th grade and that was some school in middle of no where south georgia.
maybe high school but idk I also was in AP programs throughout, I dont even think we touched it in college either, but its hard to remember all that crap now

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... Reading this thread and the OP's responses is like reading one of these math problems.

Jane has 10 apples. She ate 2 and gave James and Abbie 2 each and sold the rest. Assuming it's a Tuesday afternoon, how far is the distance from the earth to the moon in kilometers?

I can't... I just can't...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... Reading this thread and the OP's responses is like reading one of these math problems.

Jane has 10 apples. She ate 2 and gave James and Abbie 2 each and sold the rest. Assuming it's a Tuesday afternoon, how far is the distance from the earth to the moon in kilometers?

I can't... I just can't...
Ya.

On the other hand, he's as old as The Dark Knight movie so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back