1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the pure blue light ?
6CCA7F63-BA58-45A1-AF43-76F5D8C40507.jpeg
That is taken with a flash. Look at how blue the coral is in the background. Look how blue the water is (the only reason water looks blue is because only the blue light penetrates beyond the first 30’).

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do 45lbs of Lr and skimp on other stuff. Priority is live rock, if I did live rock and then a heater and light and mabye a cheap China powerhead, does 300-400 gph work for an 20clong no powerhead (turned down filter) work? that’s all I need
You don’t need that much live rock, you’re just wasting your money.

You only need a couple of pounds of live rock - all the rest can be dry rock, which is a lot cheaper.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is taken with a flash. Look at how blue the coral is in the background. Look how blue the water is (the only reason water looks blue is because only the blue light penetrates beyond the first 30’).
and probably some color correction

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need that much live rock, you’re just wasting your money.

You only need a couple of pounds of live rock - all the rest can be dry rock, which is a lot cheaper.
Not that he is going to listen to any of us, but I'd say on a first reef it is easier to go 100% live rock. Dry rock just gets to be a mess before it settles out. 100% live rock you run through the die off and you are ready to rock a week or two later without suffering algae outbreaks and uglies. This is assuming a relatively small tank where dealing with a few potential hitchhikers is easy.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because dry rock is cheap, dosent mean it’s good. I dont get having a nuclear test site biotope but it’s perfectly worth 275$ for all the biodiversity tunicates sponges and coral and inverts you get

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I’m gonna say here is I’m doing small fish and I’m sticking to what people in pms are telling me. I’m not gonna let the people who keep fish and think in the different (incorrect in my pov) way I do get to me
You don’t have a POV! You’ve never kept a reef tank! You have no experience upon which to have a point of view! And this isn’t even a difference of opinion, you are denying the objective science of reefkeeping! There are still a lot of unknowns, theories, and debates to be had, but you are denying and arguing against settled science!

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t skimp on LR it is the foundation of a reef ecosystem and exists everywhere in all zones of oceans except palegaic open ocean zone

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t skimp on LR it is the foundation of a reef ecosystem and exists everywhere in all zones of oceans except palegaic open ocean zone

Theres many other things you have been told with this exact same rhetoric that you've completely ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back