1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t skimp on LR it is the foundation of a reef ecosystem and exists everywhere in all zones of oceans except palegaic open ocean zone
but at a point it becomes unnecessary as it impedes on space, is costly and isnt helping with nitrate/ammonia in that high amount, better off using biomedia in filter bags like seachem matrix than wast your money with so much extra rock

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s replicating an environment, do you know of any easy biotopes to do? i could do a lembeh strait biotope but it would be hard. Tube nems and Xenia live there

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By biotope I’m making an environment I dont want to make a biotope in the sense of freshwater
Weren't you going to bed half an hour ago?

Why am I still replying in this thread?
phNsuJ.gif

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Summary for those who havent read much:

-@The Camaro Show doesn't know anything
-unnamed friend is coral jesus
- hob=powerhead
- biotope = indo fish with red sea fish
Guess my years of growing high end corals are worthless to the OP

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but at a point it becomes unnecessary as it impedes on space, is costly and isnt helping with nitrate/ammonia in that high amount, better off using biomedia in filter bags like seachem matrix than wast your money with so much extra rock
How much space would 45 lbs take up, because it is going to be like mostly rock dwelling fish and I’m using it to build height for sand too

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By biotope I’m making an environment I dont want to make a biotope in the sense of
best to stop trying to produce this, we cannot replicate an environment in our tanks, many of us have said this many times. trying to is just asking for problems in the tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much space would 45 lbs take up, because it is going to be like mostly rock dwelling fish and I’m using it to build height for sand too
no idea, it depends on the shape and density of the rocks

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use pukani live rock but that isnt available anymore

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry but i have idea its so hard to call the volume on something like that.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, but no dont go into biotope aquariums now, its not worth it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just stick to the stocking list you have right now for your 20 and figure out how to get it started, dont plan on having every fish in the tank in the beginning as you will need time to introduce these fish to the tank, they also cannot be all added to the tank within 1 month

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filter-less tank is possible, assuming you keep up with the weekly water changes, and have live plants.

I’m current running a 10g Betta (freshwater) tank that has no filter - it’s been running strong for 6 months now.

—-

I’m not sure if you were talking about freshwater or saltwater though...
When I was 8 I bred guppies in a half gallon fish bowl (and the fry lived). That is completely irrelevant to reefkeeping. You keep going on and on about the most natural way to keep corals and fish, and these so-called ‘high tech’ tanks that you keep disparaging are the most natural way to do it. The maintain the most stable, most close to natural water chemistry, have the closest to natural lighting, water movement, filtration, even protein skimmers are mimicking a natural process (Ever been to the beach? Ever seen the foam that washes up on shore?) What you’re wanting to do is the least natural way to keep a reef.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a biotope uses inhabitants from the same body of water, it will be most be likely less colorful fish or corals or sponges because it is a biotope

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also you have said you need this 1 fish or you need this other fish. Those are impulses and the worst thing to act on in this hobby, it will lead to you buying stuff that makes no sense and do terrible in your tank, or even worse cause the whole tank to die because you yourself were impatient.
We have done it in the past and paid the price already so we dont want it happening to you either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back