1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do 1 clarkii clown and a hawk fish? then 2 mid swimmers Then like down the road maybe a little dragonet or something ? I really like micropredators

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are going with a sand bed, a lot of flow can kick up sand and cloud the tank. Either get an adjustable wavemaker (such as jebao on the cheaper end) or get multiple pumps that are weaker and add one by one.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home I’m going to tell my mom about my plans so I can start budgeting. I might try dry scaping my tank with some towels or something to get a feel for how I want my LR. Most likely it’s just going to be a jumble of lines with the holes from the pipes being filled with LR. im also going to make a couple bottles for the tank because they look cool. most of my plan is inspired @Paul B now because I like how natural his tanks are and how simple they are and the types of fish he keeps in them
Here's some advice. You'd better be paying attention in school instead of messing around on here. Those tanks you like looking at don't run on hopes and dreams.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Could I do 1 clarkii clown and a hawk fish? then 2 mid swimmers Then like down the road maybe a little dragonet or something ? I really like micropredators
I would do Ocellaris clownfish. They are peaceful and you can have a pair. Clarkii clowns are semi-aggressive and will get mean to everything in the tank as they grow.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I gotta go in a couple minutes. Now I have equipment sorted imma start thinking about making the base of the ecosystem. can People give like stocking combos for my tank I want micropredators or oddbalis. I’m ok if I have to start out with 1-2 fish then expand over time

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did only 1 clarkii would they be more peaceful? I don’t like ocellaris and I HATE designer clowns b/c their bad genetics

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is top off without rodi a bad idea? My water is hard and I was wondering if it would help with like calc and things when I’m not wc-ing or dosing those calcium blocks.
You need a rodi absolutely or you will never get anywhere except a dying tank. I lost $5k in coral from a bad cheap rodi when I first started.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did only 1 clarkii would they be more peaceful? I don’t like ocellaris and I HATE designer clowns b/c their bad genetics

No, they are still mean. What about a pink skunk or orange skunk? They are more laid back.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I gotta go in a couple minutes. Now I have equipment sorted imma start thinking about making the base of the ecosystem. can People give like stocking combos for my tank I want micropredators or oddbalis. I’m ok if I have to start out with 1-2 fish then expand over time
It's not starting with 1-2 fish and expanding, it's that in a 20g you are limited to 1-3 fish.

I can't even imagine having the gall to come home from school and asking my parents for $500 to do a fish tank using what I learned playing around on my phone at study hall. I had to maintain honor role to get pokemon cards occasionally. I guess that's why I've been price shopping vipers instead of prepping hamburgers though.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at great macro tanks, they need to dose Chaetogro, NeoNitro, NeoPhos just to keep their macros alive. Check out the recent Reef of the Month hopefully you will learn a thing a two from Tigahboys macro tanks. Dosing, skimmers, and reactors most certainly are not snake oil, they each hold extreme value in the hobby and reef keeping husbandry.

Also, I read you are thinking about collecting sand from a beach!? I highly advise against this, due to pollutants you do not want in your tank and this is potentially illegal.

Honestly just do more research. Saltwater tanks are a different ball game compared to fresh.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not starting with 1-2 fish and expanding, it's that in a 20g you are limited to 1-3 fish.

I can't even imagine having the gall to come home from school and asking my parents for $500 to do a fish tank using what I learned playing around on my phone at study hall. I had to maintain honor role to get pokemon cards occasionally. I guess that's why I've been price shopping vipers instead of prepping hamburgers though.
I have the money already

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the date was april 1st i would think this thread is a april fools joke.
Very old methods of doing things.wood in tank like wood that gets washed up and lots nutrients in water ( but in nature tides come in and out taking bad water back out.) Putting a blue tape over light to make blue spectrum light.sharing live aquaria link on 2 fishes that you shared stating need 30g and 50g tank and lots other stuff that seems will make your tank so hard to maintain but you want less maintenance for your tank and you go on holidays alot and want get auto feeder to feed live brine shrimp ha ha.
I feel like you and some friends just making this thread for your entertainment and well i know what im thinking and im literally LOL now.( btw i mean no nastiesnest in what i say.
And im new to saltwater side of hobby also but if you are being serious i wish you good luck and progress on your tank but as people get more experienced in saltwater ,new products come out that help or new methods get found and seems you just want to do all the old school methods and just want your tank dirty as possible and then will have lots trouble is what i can see happenning.buf anyway i wiah you luck anfmd certain things you saying it sounds like you know more than you letting on you know ^_^

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being serious, I have the money set aside and I have approval from my mom to do the tank I just need to plan it out. All my friends are saying much different things to what you all are saying though, I have concrete proof of their tanks but I don’t know what actually happens with this method. All my friends tanks look great and they are suggesting me to do what they do

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being serious, I have the money set aside and I have approval from my mom to do the tank I just need to plan it out. All my friends are saying much different things to what you all are saying though, I have concrete proof of their tanks but I don’t know what actually happens with this method. All my friends tanks look great and they are suggesting me to do what they do
Dont worry about other people judging you about money not your problem, I love how passionate you are and I hope you continue to learn and have fun while doing it. I'm sure this is probably super overwhelming hearing a hundred different things, pick one or 2 sources you trust and go for it. A lot of people in the comments have given some great info as well for you to look over.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to talk to my friends about what I heard here and try to find a middle ground of it. From my prior knowledge I know that more microfauna and biodiversity = a better tank and if You make a dirty tank with mud crushed coral and sand it will thrive.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure if your friends set up a tank a certain way and it been working for them for an extended time then dont see problem replicating what there doing as we all mainly have the same goal but there lots different paths/ methods we can take to get to the finish line so to speak.
And as i said above in some the stuff you saying it looks like you knowageable on it and seen or researched it.anyway good luck and be nice to see the progress on your tank ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back