1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear everybody in this thread that's still trying to help the kid and not just here to watch a trainwreck deserves a sainthood. This is bringing back so many memories from working at my LFS idk if I should laugh or cry.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap I'm finally at the end.

Something I've noticed. I don't think OP understands exactly what nature is. He keeps saying he likes natural things, but doesn't understand that nature is constantly changing. Also, natural doesn't mean better. I'm willing to bet that if corals were sentient and could control the sun they'd change the output to be more favourable for growth.

And funny enough, a nuclear test site is probably the most natural environment we could find on Earth other than the very deep oceans because there are no people around to interfere with ecological succession and other natural processes.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock and now 7 months later have sponges, worms, pods, algae, coralline, starfish, feather dusters, etc. biodiversity comes with the territory of having a reef. Live rock straight from the ocean may give you a couple extras but what happens when that hitchhiker mantis shrimp kills your pair of clingfish...

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm extra 12 pages since i slept.
Just out curiousity is the user called " poke fish" is it you or one your friends who doing this thread just for laughs and giggles ? As i see in his build thread he just turned 13 also or just a coincidence idk but

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Him on page 20 calling us all " guys you all potatoes ha ha.
Anyway take care and have fun.im going try keep out this now ^_^

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mud flat and a reef are two different biotopes.

This is my favorite mud flat. The snails seem to like it and they are mud snails which seems appropriate. I do collect some mud here for the bacteria and snails just because there are 50,000,000 of them and I like to have a few in my tank.

But I really don't want to design my reef around this particular biatope. :(

This is a reef. But they look almost exactly the same to me. :p

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was 13 and had all the answers again....

You should show this thread to your folks and let them help you decide if this is still a good idea.
Was thinking this last night as well.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm extra 12 pages since i slept.
Just out curiousity is the user called " poke fish" is it you or one your friends who doing this thread just for laughs and giggles ? As i see in his build thread he just turned 13 also or just a coincidence idk but
One of my friends who’s joking I’m 14, he isn’t 13 hes just joking. I’m not trying to troll

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock and now 7 months later have sponges, worms, pods, algae, coralline, starfish, feather dusters, etc. biodiversity comes with the territory of having a reef. Live rock straight from the ocean may give you a couple extras but what happens when that hitchhiker mantis shrimp kills your pair of clingfish...
A 2” gulf mantis can’t hurt stuff

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy I’ve been gone for a while....
Look, the issue is, you want to do a beginner tank, but want to also do a biotope, which isn’t exactly a beginner thing. Start small. Save yourself the headache of losing everything.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2” gulf mantis can’t hurt stuff
Any mantis can kill any organism if it sets its mind to it. Living xenomorphs are awesomely scary that way.
A 2 inch mantis on a 2 inch clingfish is just a mantis and a meal.
They also need surprisingly large tanks. They produce so much waste from kills that anything less than 20 gallons for a small guy is cruelty. Ideally more, especially for big guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back