1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushers basically punch spearers are sharp and stab your fish, if I have tiny fish like blennies and gobies and basslet, they would either not be considered a Threat if the shrimp is well fed or they would avoid the shrimp
Ok lets start here....

You have a 20G long tank, thats roughly what 30 inches? Now how does anything get away, or even stay away from something thats trying to murder it? there simply isn't enough room.

Whether they are a threat or not, does not matter. Mantis shrimp kill to eat, It's called nature and regardless if you feed it, it's in it's nature to kill.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay please stop. Mantis shrimp don’t break glass unless it is a large species kept in a tiny thin walled tank.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your joking right?
No, if you assume the worst in stuff you make irrational Decisions and overcomplicate everything, I used to think like how he did and it was way better when I realized if I keep stuff as simple as possible and let nature fill in the blanks then I will have a thriving tank, it works in fresh and if I give salt the right equipment it will work there too

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a mantis with fish and some fishy lives were lost. You can keep them sometimes with some damsels and fast fish. Smashers will eat fish too. They like fish sandwiches... yum!

If you get more then one mantis, they do kill each other.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if you assume the worst in stuff you make irrational Decisions and overcomplicate everything, I used to think like how he did and it was way better when I realized if I keep stuff as simple as possible and let nature fill in the blanks then I will have a thriving tank, it works in fresh and if I give salt the right equipment it will work there too
Thats a big NOPE.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phirannas don’t predate on tetras in the wild, they eat freshwater sponges, microfauna and they swarm stuff
I have spent years researching piranhas. They are fascinating creatures, but will not waste time on an amphipod.
They do in fact predate on tetras. Maybe not once full grown, but as juvies they love them. Ever notice why piranha fry look like tetras? They live with them and slowly pick off at tetras as they grow.
Then they move to bigger game fish once large. They swarm but if you think they actually eat cows and caimans and call yourself a fish expert at the same time you should open up google every now and then. Piranhas rarely eat things bigger than them unless starved.
Freshwater sponge are very rare and only in Europe to my knowledge. Amazon does not have them as far as I know. Even in marine ecosystems basically nothing eats sponges.
Also, I’ve seen it. Given the chance a good sized piranha will eat a tetra. They don’t care what is a natural tankmate or not. It’s all food.

Now back to your regularly scheduled nonsense.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the fresh side of tank keeping. Fresh water fish can live in a pond developed from the rain. You cannot keep salt fish/corals in less then ideal conditions and expect nature to take it's course. It will take it course, by killing everything in the tank.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You do like water changes and things and filtration circulation and lighting and a heater then it works, of course you don’t want a stagnant saltwater tank

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D

whenever I do it in fresh and when my friends do it with fresh and salt it works, salt and fresh aren’t that different. You have water fish, plants, invertebrates, biofilms, sessile animals, and chemistry.
This is not the fresh water side. Yes everything is different. Bout the only thing that applies from fresh to salt is the cycling of the tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D

whenever I do it in fresh and when my friends do it with fresh and salt it works, salt and fresh aren’t that different. You have water fish, plants, invertebrates, biofilms, sessile animals, and chemistry.
Except that to successfully do that in the reef tank you need proper equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back