1st saltwater aquarium for me. Excited

jmenziereams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspired somewhere to get a saltwater tank. Starting researching. Red Sea seemed like a good company. Searched locally and found a tank on eBay. A Red Sea reefer 250 v3.
didn’t realize all the accessories needed.
I bought 2 Red Sea 90s for the lighting , a simplicity 1000 return pump , reefmat 500 I think for filtration , a Red Sea skimmer , 2 vortex 40 , and a 4 stage RODI to make the water. I’m in the water making state currently with the Red Sea salt mix.
also bought the mod kit for the Reefmat so hope to start on that shortly. Probably will be buying a power strip , something to clean the glass , and something to test levels. I’ve been looking around the forum but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspired somewhere to get a saltwater tank. Starting researching. Red Sea seemed like a good company. Searched locally and found a tank on eBay. A Red Sea reefer 250 v3.
I bought 2 Red Sea 90s for the lighting , a simplicity 1000 return pump , reefmat 500 I think for filtration , a Red Sea skimmer , 2 vortex 40 , and a 4 stage RODI to make the water. I’m in the water making state currently with the Red Sea salt mix.
also bought the mod kit for the Reefmat so hope to start on that shortly. Probably will be buying a power strip , something to clean the glass , and something to test levels. I’ve been looking around the forum but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
First things first .
welcome to r2r
Can’t wait to see pictures of your new setup

as for testing . I recommend salifert for calcium magnesium and nitrates .
Hanna checkers for alkalinity and phosphorus .

I need to clarify some of these kits won’t be needed at the start .
To start off . Pick up a ammonia , nitrate kit as well as some sort of refractometer or Hanna salinity checker for mixing your salt to the proper salinity .

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id start with salifert test kits aswell
Ph, Alk, calc, mag, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate. Also a Refractometer. Don't buy any api test kits is my tip. You don't need them all right away but they'll save you a coral or a fish from dieing once and basically pay for them selves. One mistake I made is I bought api test kits. Another mistake is I didn't have the proper test kits and wasn't concerned about what was in my water. Killed alot of things as I'm sure many have done its nearly unavoidable. Another tips is to only use titanium heaters and no heaters with internal thermostats.

Don't forget to ask questions there's always someone willing to help on here.

Edit: hanna test kits are good to!

Last edited:

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Great hobby. Sounds like your off to a good start.

OP
OP
J

jmenziereams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first .
welcome to r2r
Can’t wait to see pictures of your new setup

as for testing . I recommend salifert for calcium magnesium and nitrates .
Hanna checkers for alkalinity and phosphorus .

I need to clarify some of these kits won’t be needed at the start .
To start off . Pick up a ammonia , nitrate kit as well as some sort of refractometer or Hanna salinity checker for mixing your salt to the proper salinity .
Thanks for the recommendations. So much valuable information here. It’s helped me tremendously already

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back