1st Saltwater Tank - 20l Stocking Plan

RavenSharpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YouTube algorithm got me and I fell down the rabbithole of the saltwater world. After way too long of thinking about it, I'm finally putting together my first saltwater tank. I was wondering if I could check to see if my stocking plan would work. I'm running a 20l with 20lbs of pukani and mystery dry rock, and I plan to add a bunch of zoas and inverts as well (I love hermit crabs), so my choices need to play well with those. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Pair of clownfish (first round of fish)
2. Tailspot blenny (I love their faces, and it'd help with algae)
3. Springeri damsel (added last as I've heard damsels can be mean)

I'm not super fond of the firefish, and I was looking at other options for my fourth fish like a yellow watchman goby, possum wrasse, clown goby, or court jester goby. I just want to make sure that every fish can take a pelleted diet as I am super busy and sometimes away for a week at a time, so high maintenance, frozen or live food only is not for me. I also don't want something super expensive.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overstocked, just get the clown, the Blenny, or damsel. YWG need like 20 gallons(76L) at least. Get an auto feeder to feed your fish so you don't leave them without food for weeks. this may not be a hobby for you, you need weekly water changes especially in such a small tank.

also, frozen food isn't much more maintenance than pelleted and is healthier for your tank.

OP
OP
R

RavenSharpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overstocked, just get the clown, the Blenny, or damsel. YWG need like 20 gallons(76L) at least. Get an auto feeder to feed your fish so you don't leave them without food for weeks. this may not be a hobby for you, you need weekly water changes especially in such a small tank.

also, frozen food isn't much more maintenance than pelleted and is healthier for your tank.
Sorry 20 long not liters

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill say only get the clown fish first and if u can keep up with the maintenance and hand feeding then get the rest. U said u have work and most likely u won't keep up with maintenance. Wishing u good luck.

OP
OP
R

RavenSharpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew !, I was worried lol
Yeah - I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank, and while water volume changed per week is larger, overall maintenance and balancing nutrients is so much easier in that volume than smaller tanks. I had always kept 10 gallon or less tanks before the 29 gallon, and it was really an eye-opener.

Back