1st tank-looking for local hobbyist for advice

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to the best hobby in the world! Wexford area huh, you’ll have to check out Reef Gallery it’s right off the Evans City exit on 79. They have all your coral needs and great displays. Aqua world has slowly declined their saltwater foot print over the years I’ve seen.

The local reef club here has a great many members with tons of knowledge and everyone’s willing to help with questions.

Also I did see your post about dry rock and live rock. If you decide the dry rock route I have some dry rock I just got I won’t be using.

-Codey

OP
OP
N

Nolanoonan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to the best hobby in the world! Wexford area huh, you’ll have to check out Reef Gallery it’s right off the Evans City exit on 79. They have all your coral needs and great displays. Aqua world has slowly declined their saltwater foot print over the years I’ve seen.

The local reef club here has a great many members with tons of knowledge and everyone’s willing to help with questions.

Also I did see your post about dry rock and live rock. If you decide the dry rock route I have some dry rock I just got I won’t be using.

-Codey
Hi Codey!

I am really enjoying it so far! I was actually planning on checking out Reef Gallery today but took down Xmas with a 5 and 2 year old instead....

Whereabouts are you? I am trying to do everything slowly and correctly to avoid as many problems as possible but would love as much help as possible.

I only have snails, blue legged hermit crabs, a damselfish (blue sapphire, which I was told is docile, but people seem to disagree online). I have some rubble rock in the sump with a little macroalgae growing on it and have seen a few hitchhikers (collonista snail, asterina starfish).

The levels I test for (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, phosphate, and salinity) all look good except low alkalinity. I would like to get some coral going asap but want to plan things out in advance so I don't have as many hindsight problems.

I have some friends that are experienced reefers but live far away and want to make some friends nearby who can look at problems and know the local stuff.

I would be interested in the dry rock but need help in the big plan. Hopefully, you or someone in the club can help with that.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot us a picture of your setup and we can maybe point out some things you may need or what to look after.

I live in Bellevue about 5 min up 65 from Aqua world.

Everyone has a damsel at some point I have 2 right now they usually bicker among themselves, but they’re a hardy fish which is good for a new tank.

I would suggest picking out those starfish. I have them, they will multiply into the 100s.

testing weekly is a good thing to do at a minimum. With the tank cycled there’s no real need to keep testing ammonia and nitrite. Also what test kits are you using?

As for the rock, your current live rock is your biggest biological filtration, you can always add dry rock but it’ll get ugly as it matures. A lot of people soak dry rock for many months prior to starting a tank to help with the uglies. Best plan of action is sketching a generic plan of action with what you want your aquascape to look like so you don’t just randomly stack.

I’m no pro when it comes to coral as I feel that is my weakness in the hobby currently but many in the club have that magic touch I’m sure they chime in eventually. Jamie and Kevin at reef gallery can point you in the right direction, for some reason I can’t tag Jamie on here.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! Setting up first tank. Wexford area. Red Sea Reefer Nano. Completing cycle and looking to start building reef. Everything in tank coming from Aquaworld so far. Just introducing myself and trying to make acquaintances.
Welcome! Definitely shop around. Bulk reef and marine depot help too! I sell a ton of coral from beginner stuff to the highest end and rare corals.

jlauck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm spinning up a new tank as well (Moon Township area). I definitely second Reef Gallery. Years ago I bought mostly at AquaWorld (I still visit it). Their saltwater footprint is definitely a tiny fraction of what it used to be. Do you have a build thread?

OP
OP
N

Nolanoonan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm uploading a pics of my tank for advice. I also think my diatoms are receding but some sort of algae that flows in the current is expanding. Can you tell me if this is something I should worry about or if it is just ugly? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 20210113_181231.mp4
    10.7 MB
  • 20210113_181154.jpg
    20210113_181154.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20201205_195756.mp4
    44.8 MB
  • 20210101_132436.jpg
    20210101_132436.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 67

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the normal progression of a new tank. I would look into a skimmer and a refugium. Your tank looks to be of similar dimension to my Red Sea Reefer 170. Here is my sump set up.

I have a Reef Octopus SSS110 Classic skimmer, some Hager bio media, and the light is just a gooseneck and LED grow light from Amazon.

IMG_20201220_160554_NR (1).jpg

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how’s your tank coming along??? I live in Wexford myself and I’m setting up a new tank once it comes in. Had a 150 gallon mixed reef for a bunch of years and took it down maybe 1.5-2 years ago but I’m getting back in. Maybe we could help each other out being so close.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! It is doing OK but not thriving. I would like to have a friend in the area that knows more than me and could maybe get eyes on what I am doing right/wrong. I live in Marshall. Yourself?
I live right off of rt79 by Soergels so we’re pretty close! I’ve been out of the hobby for a couple of years now but wouldn’t mind trying to help. I’m not an expert but I did have a really well managed aquarium. Shoot me a pm if you like.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My office is in Wexford, sp if u guys need help , drop me a line. I always have extra cheato- so free . Currently I have a large colony of pink photosynthetic gorgonian that I am giving away so frags or whole colony are free.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ted I may take you up on a piece of that. My tank is back ordered for 4-6 weeks so I’m a little far out from being able to house it. If you still have it by then, I’d be interested in a chunk.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
I joined the club one year a few years ago for same reason but just never got to make it to any meetings. I've met people at the fragswaps & around tho & everyone I've met has been extremely nice & helpful. If you still have those asterinas starfish in your tank.. I had 280 just that I could visibly count at one point and got a harlequin shrimp..Very cool lookin and they were all gone in a month .If you havent seen them in wild Google a nature vid on them..amazing!
It got difficult to keep up tho...because he can eat faster than they can reproduce...this is where being active in the club would have allowed me to pass him on to others with asterinas. Club mascot!
I live in Robinson but I'm in that area often as I occasionally swing up to aquaworld and the reef gallery and specifically right off the 79 wexford exit every fri & sunday afternoon/ evening.. in case you ever need help with anything or grab coffee & talk reefing.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My office is in Wexford, sp if u guys need help , drop me a line. I always have extra cheato- so free . Currently I have a large colony of pink photosynthetic gorgonian that I am giving away so frags or whole colony are free.
I was just going to ask if anyone locally had some cheato available. Just finally got my tank mostly clean again from outbreaks of everything & tank problems which stemmed from busy sched/underfeeding pellets only & the zero zero nutrient environment that created. I'm also looking for anyone who has some microbacter clean, which I will post separately, so I can get a few doses going until I can get an order of it to me.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring me cheato so I can continue to give it away for free. Our supply is really low and don't like turning down customers.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaime - I forgot you guys are closed Sundays- I am still at work today so hopefully on Wed I can stop by.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back