1st Tank, what treatments do I need?

Dan_Reef87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up my 1st ever saltwater tank. It’s 75 gallon and will have coral and compatible fish (both to be determined) my question is what treatments do I need to have on hand with a new tank? I don’t have a LFS and the closest one is over an hour away. I just want to be prepared for when I start adding fish and coral.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well - that depends on whether you're buying quarantined fish and coral or not. If not - I would have coppersate on hand - with a good test kit. Additionally - Praziquantel. If it's available in your area. You might also want to have an antibiotic such as kanamycin/neomycin on hand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up my 1st ever saltwater tank. It’s 75 gallon and will have coral and compatible fish (both to be determined) my question is what treatments do I need to have on hand with a new tank? I don’t have a LFS and the closest one is over an hour away. I just want to be prepared for when I start adding fish and coral.
Coppersafe - For ich and velvet
Hanna Copper test kit- Reliable for testing copper level
PraziPro- Great dewormer for black ich and flukes
Ruby Rally Pro- Broad spectrum treatment that is reef safe and covers an array of issues
Maracyn (not maracyn two) - for eye issues and injuries

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend getting yourself a 10 gallon QT/Treatment tank. Petco sell a 10 gallon “LED” kit including tank, hood, lights, heater and a HOB filter. Normally $90 ish but they have frequent sales.

If you’re going to quarantine then get copper (check out the “Current Quarantine Protocol) thread for more info), a Hanna copper checker (about 2x the price of the color test kits, but the color test kids are almost unreadable - if you buy the cheap ones first you’ll basically pay $20 to find out why you should have paid $60 to start) and some Prazi.

Back