1st time….New 40g breeder tank!

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Brand new to the fish world. This is a project my son has been begging to do, so after some research, we decided to jump in!

Again, This is all foreign to me…so any and all constructive criticism or help is welcome!

We started off with a free 55 gallon long and narrow tank. Got it all set and really did not like how narrow it was. Luckily, hit the petco sale at the right time and now we have a 40g breeder tank…this is smaller by number but the dimensions make it seem bigger. I love it vs the 55.

Just got it moved and reset tonight. Here is where I am at. Live sand (just short of an inch worth), dry rock, fluval 407 filter, heater with digital controller X 2.

Few questions….

Any thoughts on the tank by that window? Will not get direct sunlight.

Do I need a skimmer? I haven’t research/know anything about them yet…

What critters (snails/crabs/starfish) can I put in the help clean and that won’t bug future corals?

I have extra buckets of salt water from the LFS…how long is this good for? Also RODI water…I assume it can’t go bad in a bucket with a lid?

First goal is 2 clownfish. Then go from there.

Just trying to go slow and get it right. Tank has been cycling since February 24. So far…with API test kit…ammonia was 0, then bumped to .5, ph steady 8, nitrate steady 0, jumped to .25 once, nitrate 5-10. Been putting shrimp cubes in the

120AB1B0-A0E7-4CCC-971E-017E394EE9AB.jpeg

The help pumping water out!!

ABBF6EC2-3536-40C2-B549-B542E24AE19D.jpeg

Will eventually finish the stand

86F2DECB-1831-4E43-A861-E574AB4FE8CB.jpeg

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I have a 40 breeder myself that's been up and running for 4 months. Your kiddos are going to love the tank. For your Clean Up Crew (CUC), I'd highly suggest Reefcleaners.org I've placed several orders from them, and they have a huge variety. They even have premade cleaner packages based on your tank style and size. But since it's a new tank, I wouldn't do a full size order right away, since there isn't much algae for them to clean up yet.

Reef Cleaners

As far as the skimmer goes, I don't think you need one, but they really help after you have more fish and corals. I'd suggest though not go ultra cheap, and get a respectable skimmer. My first skimmer was nothing but problems, it worked until I was able to upgrade though.

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water cleared up nicely after one night of running. API (for what it is worth) is reading .50 ammonia; .25 nitrates. Been reading this way for a week. Cycling for almost 3 weeks. Going to give it a little time yet.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
The window might contribute to algae but so does high nutrients. I think it will be fine out of direct sunlight, Ive even seen a few where the tank gets a couple hours of direct.
With that in mind, the skimmer will head off nutrients before they appear. And thats not the only benefit, they also provide aeration and help with ph. something to think about..

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info

The shade will stay closed…unfortunately, without sticking it in the basement corner, where we spend no time, anywhere in this house will get some sort of natural light.
I need to research lights and skimmers yet..

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Nothing new lol

temp is staying steady between 77-79. Water parameters still the same. Waiting on a salinity tester, check that and then get a couple clowns in soon!

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a pair of clowns in. They have just sat here and swam next to this heater…haven’t really explored the tank yet. Is that normal? I did feed them and they ate that up right away.
879B6649-6435-4202-9FBF-DE8B7810FBED.jpeg

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the flow from my canister filter was to high? Slowed it down and they are off and around

zaphod42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the flow from my canister filter was to high? Slowed it down and they are off and around
I found that my clowns staked out "their corner" very quickly. They explore the rest of the tank daily, but spend the vast majority of their time in one place.

waterboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a pair of clowns in. They have just sat here and swam next to this heater…haven’t really explored the tank yet. Is that normal? I did feed them and they ate that up right away.
879B6649-6435-4202-9FBF-DE8B7810FBED.jpeg
I had a similar situation with my clowns in my 40 breeder. They stayed in the top right corner, would venture to the top left corner during the day, and then go back to the top right corner at night. They never really ventured out in to the middle of the tank or elsewhere. They were my only fish for several months. Then when I added a more active fish to the tank ( I believe it’s called a blue chromis) all of the sudden the clowns got a lot more “adventurous”. It’s almost like they saw the new fish darting all over the tank and they became more comfortable. They still stay in “their spots” but I’ve definitely noticed them more active.

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be getting comfortable!

Got these from a different local LFS. I really liked talking to this guy vs folks at the other store. I told him I had a canister filter and he said they aren’t great for reef tanks. They will work, but have a hard time really keeping the tank clean. Might develop algae easier?

His suggestion was to pull the foam pads out of the canister, and fill all the sections with biomedia (i think i have that right), then do a hang on filter to keep the tank clean.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry one bit about the sunlight coming in that room.

I recall reading through a build thread on here and this guys reef was STUNNING. It was a sunlit reef. No lighting at all besides the natural sunlight. I doubt the fact that there’s a window in the room is going to cause you issues

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going good. Going to give it plenty if time (however long is best?) before we introduce another fish. Both clowns seem happy and eat well! Only feeding mysis shrimp at the moment…not sure if i need to supplement or change it uo at all…

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today….

Needed to add water, and wanted to up the salinity a hair, so i figured i would add some premixed salt water from the LFS.

First thing…I bought this water, stored in a five gallon pail with a lid, 6 weeks ago. Salinity now measures 1.015. Is this normal?

Second thing, pulled a tank heater from DT to warm water in the pail before i poured it in. Digital controller set at 76.5, just got back home and temp is well over 100 (measuring with glass thermometer)!!!! Wow. Not sure what the scoop in there.

So, put heater back in DT, watching it close, and going to add in water when temp drops back down. Will have to get some salt and add it next time i top off the tank.

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new to report.

Still just have two clowns. They seem quite happy! I have been adding “old” (meaning sitting in a bucket for two months) salt water to top off. Salinity levels have come up juuuust a hair!

Two months in, no water change yet. Not sure when i should or will do this. Water parameters have been fine. Wanting to try to add something next time I head to the city to the LFS. Will see what they recommend!!

Still need to order a light…

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while!!! Everything is going well id say! Have yet to do a water change. Parameters are always in check. Added a couple snails and crabs. Everyone seems happy still, so why change it? Got a light added as well. In due time ill finish the cabinets and light stand.

Talked to guy at LFS. He recommended filling my canister filter with all biomedia, and doing a hangon to filter the other “crap”. Any thoughts or opinions on that?

D240C98C-6BB2-4317-B7FD-49719A0BD6CE.jpeg
2F526786-B786-4471-85A5-F32FD0D1C1EE.jpeg

OP
OP
fellerr

fellerr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like i have some diotome algae building.

IMG_3692.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg

I did lose one snail…the other seems to be doing great! Crabs as well!

I acquired a free 20g all in one salt tank today! It houses two clowns, peppermint shrimp, crabs, conch, starfish, an urchin, a purple goby? I still don’t know exactly what all the species of everything is. Lol

The tank is pretty dirty, maybe overloaded in my very nonexpert opinion. Lots of algae growing. It was started with live rock which looks great compared to my rock! My hope is to clean it up, keep it going, and move most everything into my 40g.

Question on rock….i have some leftover dry rock that i am not using. What is the best way to “make it live”? Do i have to cycle it in a salt tank with filters and everything?

Here is the free tank setup:

IMG_3717.jpeg
IMG_3719.jpeg

Back