1st time aquascaping and question??

huffyX0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this reef aquarium stuff just started the hobby last Monday actually. I just finished my aquascaping with marco rocks and used super glue gel and the instant spray stuff, then I used aquaforest stone fix to cement everything down.

My question is, do you guys finish there and throw it in the aquarium or do you hide the cement with liquid super glue and sand to make everything look nice? I've read that the rocks will eventually turn purple, will the cement also turn purple or just the marco rocks only?

Attached is a video of what it looks like without the cement, and a photo of it after the cement.

IMG_20220807_201932_158.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually your coral will be covered and look more uniform which could take some time . It would be a matter of preference as to use super glue and sand to make it not so noticeable.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done both methods. I personally will not waste my time covering the mortar with sand and glue anymore... it's a pain to do, takes a long time, is a mess, and really doesn't make much difference imo. After a couple months it will be much less noticeable and a coraline will cover it at the same speed as the rest of the rock

OP
OP
H

huffyX0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done both methods. I personally will not waste my time covering the mortar with sand and glue anymore... it's a pain to do, takes a long time, is a mess, and really doesn't make much difference imo. After a couple months it will be much less noticeable and a coraline will cover it at the same speed as the rest of the rock
thats what i figured, i was done the cementing, waiting couple days for it to cure, then i started using glue and some of the sand from the marco rocks and i was like... man this is gonna take forever. lol

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You may be looking at the joints in the tank for awhile.... MAy just want to do the most obvious ones or the ones that are smooth... Looks great!

**when I did mine, I did the mortar method and just added the sand to the mortar with a few spritz of the liquid polymer setting agent. It was super easy**

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I also rinse off all the sand and debris before putting the aquascape in the my tank?
Yes. Hose it off for sure. None of that stuff is bad to be in tour tank but no sense in adding free floating microparticles if ya don't have to. If you still have baking soda from the glue stage on there, you don't want to add that to the tank though or you could end up with an alk spike. So either way, rinse it off good once it cures

This pic was taken in the end of March. I belive this tank was setup in January. Maybe December. You can see right under the big anemone abd female clown a gray spot of mortar on the rock between the mushrooms. So it'll take some time to cover up, you can see that the mortar is the last area to get get growth but honestly it is not an eye sore at all imo. It's just another color in the tank. I'm pretty sure you can't see it by now, idk I rarely look at this tank closely. It's the neglected bedroom tank. This tank was started fresh though and doesn't get any kalkwasser or anything. If you add these to an established system or one dosing kalk with coraline in it, it will cover up much faster.
20220328_190234.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back