2 20G Tanks with cannister filters - Swap to hold on back filter?

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have 2 20G tanks that both have a fluval 207 cannister filter attached. Doing maintenance on these things nearly every 4~ days has really been drying my patience because they keep getting clogged. Would it be an acceptable swap to instead use one aquaclear 70 on each tank? If so, is it as easy as just taking the bio media balls from the canisters and tossing them into the HOB with some filter floss?
Any other alternatives?

Thank you!

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are they getting clogged with? HOBs will be easier to clean in some ways, but not necessarily any more resistant to clogging
They keep getting clogged with detritus (mulm type silt). It’s the very black sponge in the canisters that I keep having to unclog. I’m assuming it would be best to just yank the “fine” black sponge and run the others?

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, that black sponge is only really suited to freshwater tanks. I'd run the coarsest sponges possible with some biomedia and that's it. That being said, HOBs have their own pros and cons, for example being able to build a fuge in one, but also the diminished aesthetics. Just depends on what you want to do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back