2-3" rim on tank enough to keep jumpers in?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 45g Oceanic Tech tank. It is glass with a black rim all the way around the top that is 2-3" wide. Is this enough to keep jumpers in or will I need to figure out a way to build a screen?

salmonshutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whole screen/cover cause they don't only jump around the edges of the tank, they could jump out anywhere.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 45g Oceanic Tech tank. It is glass with a black rim all the way around the top that is 2-3" wide. Is this enough to keep jumpers in or will I need to figure out a way to build a screen?

I had a top with a small 2-3 inch gap that my sixline wrasse found a way to get out of. A top is the only way to go for jumpers.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh... I am just not looking forward to tryinig to figure out how to build a screen for this tank with the rim. It is kindof awkward.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of having velcro in the four corners and or in a line across the front and back. Then adhering screen to the velcro and making more of a screen flap than a lid. Thoughts?

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I made for my tanks. Pretty easy to do. The netting I would get the 1/4" size. .5" is pretty big for fishes. You can order most of it on bulkreefsupply.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FSU-thanks, good find, I acutally have spline and a spline roller in my toolbox ;) however, I don't know if I can put a "lid" on my tank. My lights fit directly on the rim and that might change how they fit. I will check it out though.

Paul-I didn't notice a rim, that would be perfect though. It is not really a black rim as much as a lip that extends 2-3" over the tank. I will try to find a pic or take one tonight.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the lip looks like on the top of my tank. I don't think there is any kind of rim to attach a screen. Any ideas? Velcro is looking pretty good eh?
12455_250wh.jpg

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another view of the top that might be a little better idea of what I am working with. It is pretty smooth. My concern with a lid is changing the outside dimensions of the tank so that my light mounts won't seat on properly.

12454_250wh.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the lip looks like on the top of my tank. I don't think there is any kind of rim to attach a screen. Any ideas? Velcro is looking pretty good eh? 12455_250wh.jpg

Thanks for the visual...now i see what you are talking about and i agree, i think you might be able to get velcro could work.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another view of the top that might be a little better idea of what I am working with. It is pretty smooth. My concern with a lid is changing the outside dimensions of the tank so that my light mounts won't seat on properly.

12454_250wh.jpg

ahhh I see. You could build the mesh top to go out to the edges and then attach small strips at the corners of the top that extend down an inch or two over the trim. paint the frame and top to match the trim and it will blend in. I know someone that made one out of acrylic and had an acrylic rimless tank and that is what he did.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velcro would work, my only concern is that it would look real ragged over time.

I was thing that too but maybe if she had velcro half the way up to keep it down and the front use a magnetic handle so she could just open and close it...kind of like a lid? no sure if tht makes sense.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul-I am having a hard time visualizing what you are meaning?

What do you think about building a lid that only has 2 sides, a front and a back? That way the side dimentions that the light legs sit on don't change.

Worried about the velcro screen taking away from how it looks, but might be the easiest solution and if it starts to look ragged I am sure not very hard to replace. ;)

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tight would the screening have to be? I would think that it would just have to cover, not bounce a quarter off of it. I am not planning to keep anything that will crawl out. Just enough that if the try to jump they get deflected back into the tank right?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here i did a photo editting to show ya what i am talking about - Blue equals velcro to hold it down in the back - Red equals magnets place on the rim and possibly the corners to hold it in place while allowing to be opened halfway like a lid. BTW the magnets i am talking about is in a tape verison...i have used it for a few things and it works pretty well. I know this is outside the box but just a thought...here ya go

RqaRzUhd6zBfyHqEfgusiOnfS527lT3wgf7RnElyIINSnCyUfWuJYBEITgj4zmtfWihLXeSowHOQtumCRYYHTIPsdJXDsfI7bKGsVs4Q6Tu1zRfB2eduSBpnx9b6gdxRRciZ2LCNgbjEXtCv1JnyxOET2ctDpVA-GfDgilXRISZpEnIQdWzY9BVNh2KW5UEZ-Pxs_luKTfZgofTfC5NBmYPsOd7ZEbzQrCLA1h3TW-03pXdzJV3zd6_jxlIWZdkSdETRA83hHkPGI_ZUreU2NMLu-_78VTI

12455250wh.jpg

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude!! You are awesome! Thanks so much! That is very much what I was thinking, but I think the magnets would probably work better. Thinking little loops of some kindof cord for the handle.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude!! You are awesome! Thanks so much! That is very much what I was thinking, but I think the magnets would probably work better. Thinking little loops of some kindof cord for the handle.

Glad to help...let us know how it goes and what you come up with!!! Good luck!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back