2,600 to 3,800 gallon display, how would you stock it? (Or what single fish do you have to have in your DT?)

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of my dream tank is dying, help keep it alive with a little inspiration. (so let's have a little fun with a thought experiment)

How would you stock a reef with a 2,600 to 3,800 gallon display tank?

A shoal of captive bred yellow tangs (maybe CB purples)? Handful of larger tangs (Vlamingi, Chevron, etc.)? Some Pomacanthus angels? Genicanthus? Butterflies, eels, shark? Let's hear your ideas and put a limit of $500 on an individual fish as a ceiling (give or take a little).

What is the fish you couldn't live without in your DT? (not a dream fish but a fish you HAVE to have in every tank)

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said not a dream fish I would have to say a yellow tang I really enjoy mine!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... my top three would be a really nice shoal of Convict Tangs, A whole bunch of Anthias (pick your species, mine would be square spot), flitting about the reef, and several LARGE carpet Anemones.... Fish I could not do without in this system would be Red Sea Sohol....it is too big for mine so please get one lol.... I just love the their colourations and markings.

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of my dream tank is dying, help keep it alive with a little inspiration. (so let's have a little fun with a thought experiment)

How would you stock a reef with a 2,600 to 3,800 gallon display tank?

A shoal of captive bred yellow tangs (maybe CB purples)? Handful of larger tangs (Vlamingi, Chevron, etc.)? Some Pomacanthus angels? Genicanthus? Butterflies, eels, shark? Let's hear your ideas and put a limit of $500 on an individual fish as a ceiling (give or take a little).

What is the fish you couldn't live without in your DT? (not a dream fish but a fish you HAVE to have in every tank)
1000 baby clowns

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... my top three would be a really nice shoal of Convict Tangs, A whole bunch of Anthias (pick your species, mine would be square spot), flitting about the reef, and several LARGE carpet Anemones.... Fish I could not do without in this system would be Red Sea Sohol....it is too big for mine so please get one lol.... I just love the their colourations and markings.

Can I trade your carpets for some long tentacles w/ clowns? Also hadn't thought of a shoal of convicts!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I trade your carpets for some long tentacles w/ clowns? Also hadn't thought of a shoal of convicts!
100% lol....I have an Ocellaris showing no interest in my Long Tent....he is one fussy f'r it seems! Also, saw several shoals of convicts in Tahiti years back while diving....they were beautiful to watch..

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size what does it matter? I want it to mimic an ecosystem with as many creatures from the great Barrier as possible. Let it ballance itself out and enjoy wildlife. I wouldnt try to control it much more than feeding and maintaining but it would be a chunk of nature and i could watch things do what they do in nature!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank, an eight foot 450 is the largest I can reasonably keep in my current house. I have mused about a much larger tank once I retire. Still a few years off, and who knows what the future will bring, but I’ve thought about something in the range of 16’x5’x3’ ..... nominally 1,800 gallons.

I’d aquascape it in such a way that there would be a lot of open sand and a lot of swimming room. I have always wanted to have a group of Naso tangs across a few of the available species. Vlamingi and unicornis certainly.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is one my buddy took of me on that trip, with your Long Tentacles and what looks like a Clarkii to my eyes?
20201122_191420.jpg

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would have to have a yellow tang and a pair of regal angels in there!

Pairs and trios rather than a bunch of singles is something I'm mulling over.

At that size what does it matter? I want it to mimic an ecosystem with as many creatures from the great Barrier as possible. Let it ballance itself out and enjoy wildlife. I wouldnt try to control it much more than feeding and maintaining but it would be a chunk of nature and i could watch things do what they do in nature!

Exactly

My current tank, an eight foot 450 is the largest I can reasonably keep in my current house. I have mused about a much larger tank once I retire. Still a few years off, and who knows what the future will bring, but I’ve thought about something in the range of 16’x5’x3’ ..... nominally 1,800 gallons.

I’d aquascape it in such a way that there would be a lot of open sand and a lot of swimming room. I have always wanted to have a group of Naso tangs across a few of the available species. Vlamingi and unicornis certainly.

It might end up drastically smaller once I get the basement stripped and figure out what I have to work with as far as mechaincals, chimney, and plumbing chases. I'm going to/hoping to go with either an 'L' shape or have kicked around the idea of a 'U' to squeeze as much space as possible in a relatively "small" space. The house isn't big but there might be just enough space if I am creative enough!

The idea I have for the aquascape keeps evolving but I think I am finally honing in on a general final concept.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back