2,600 to 3,800 gallon display, how would you stock it? (Or what single fish do you have to have in your DT?)

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about this one... huge shoal of lyretail anthias. A school of yellows. Nasos + vlamingi. And a bunch of Achilles tangs.
Get a queen angel, blueface, emperor, and passer angelfish. Maybe some Genova thus

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I must have in any tank as long as it’s large enough is a yellow or purple tang

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

My dream stocklist would be a huge Imperator, a couple pairs of Red Sea Butterflies & Moorish Idols, and a couple dozen Anthiinae

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if its going to be a reef tank? if not it would be large and small angels and butterfly fish and of course because you have the room tangs a big school of yellows and the rest of the tang gang.

so is this really happening that is one heck of a tank. lets see your plans for it.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But before you go big watch that video please, he is saying he wished he did not go that big. Just my 0.02
Watch "A 2,000gal SPS Dominant Reef Tank Tour in Minnesota?! The BIGGEST in-home saltwater tank on BRStv!" on YouTube

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank of this size won’t happen in my wildest dreams, but if I could do it, oh boy:

1. I would do groups of a couple species of smaller Tangs: One group of Yellows, one group of Yellow Eye Koles, one group of White Cheeks.

2. 2 of each: Purple Tangs, Desjardini Sailfin Tangs, Sohal Tangs, Orange Shoulder Tangs, Atlantic Blue Tangs, Black Longnose Tangs, Tomini Tangs.

3. Angelfish: Harems of Genicanthus and numerous dwarf angel species. 1 Koran, 1 Queen, 1 Maculosus, 1 Passer, 1 Scribbled, 1 French, 1 Clarion, 1 Blue Ring.

4. Butterflyfish: Groups of Roaps species, Hawaiian Lemons, groups of both Zoster and Yellow Pyramid, a couple Heniochus.

5. Eels: Snowflake, Zebra Moray, maybe a couple others.

6. Assorted fish: Porkfish, maybe some Fusiliers, Pilotfish, Marine Bettas.

7. Triggers: Blue Throat harem (3 fish), Cross Hatch Harem (3 fish).

8. Hogfish: Cuban, Spanish.

And the rest will all be small fish, if I really wanted something exotic, Epaulette Shark or two. Maybe a stingray.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if its going to be a reef tank? if not it would be large and small angels and butterfly fish and of course because you have the room tangs a big school of yellows and the rest of the tang gang.

so is this really happening that is one heck of a tank. lets see your plans for it.

That's the plan as long as I can get the materials around a turn in a tight stairway. The plans are just rough drawings sketched out in a notebook and now currently packed in a box ready to load on a truck next week. Have the equipment list I want to use pretty much nailed down (outside of which halide reflector) and how I want to do circulation. Closed loops or large powerheads like the Tunze master streams and Tunze 6155s on sea sweeps (I am leaning towards a combo of the two).

I'd be lying if I said it was 100% sure thing but it is looking optimistic at this point. It won't be a quick build that's for sure. The first step will be gutting the basement that is chopped up into a few rooms and hallways that don't make much sense. Once I figure out where the mechanicals are in relation to the rest of the space then I can get my final dimensions squared away.

It is super ambitious and has a high potential to fail miserably and spectacularly but if you never leap off the cliff you can't fly right? (I just hope I don't drown in the salty pool at the bottom!)

And yes, plan is for it to be a reef. (I hope, there are lots of challenges. Like additives, I am going to have to get all sciencey REAL quick and learn how to do some DIY b/c most of the manufacturer's largest containers would last a few days to weeks at their dosing recommendations. I might also have to start a side hustle business just so I can buy stuff at wholesale.)

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan as long as I can get the materials around a turn in a tight stairway. The plans are just rough drawings sketched out in a notebook and now currently packed in a box ready to load on a truck next week. Have the equipment list I want to use pretty much nailed down (outside of which halide reflector) and how I want to do circulation. Closed loops or large powerheads like the Tunze master streams and Tunze 6155s on sea sweeps (I am leaning towards a combo of the two).

I'd be lying if I said it was 100% sure thing but it is looking optimistic at this point. It won't be a quick build that's for sure. The first step will be gutting the basement that is chopped up into a few rooms and hallways that doesn't make much sense. Once I figure out where the mechanicals are in relation to the rest of the space then I can get my final dimensions squared away.

It is super ambitious and has a high potential to fail miserably and spectacularly but if you never leap off the cliff you can't fly right? (I just hope I don't drown in the salty pool at the bottom!)

And yes, plan is for it to be a reef. (I hope, there are lots of challenges. Like additives, I am going to have to get all sciencey REAL quick and learn how to do some DIY b/c most of the manufacturer's largest containers would last a few days to weeks at their dosing recommendations. I might also have to start a side hustle business just so I can buy stuff at wholesale.)
If you charged admission to come see this beast once complete I'd probably pay up lol... heck The Ripley's up here charges a good buck. Or if you need a diver/ cleaner, I'll happily provide my resume ;).

I think my dream job would be one of the diver/tank cleaners at Ripley's actually... no joke.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with big fish and coralivores.

I would love a myers or ornate butterfly and I think the only way to keep one would be in a big established reef. I would also like some large reef safe fish I can't fit now. Zebra EEl, Crosshatch Trigger Pair, Dussumeri tang, and a Bicolor parrot

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a deep water style ie. ventralis anthias, lots of curaçao basslets, long nose hawks, roaps butterflies, Sanjay dotty back colony, sunburst anthias, Hawaiian yellow anthias, borbodious anthias, navigobious, Bella gobies, longhorn cow(one of my dream fish), orange spotted file, lots of firefish

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do a deep water style ie. ventralis anthias, lots of curaçao basslets, long nose hawks, roaps butterflies, Sanjay dotty back colony, sunburst anthias, Hawaiian yellow anthias, borbodious anthias, navigobious, Bella gobies, longhorn cow(one of my dream fish), orange spotted file, lots of firefish
Oh and tilefish, I like the flashing and skunks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My must have is a clownfish...

I'll add that one of my dream fish would be appropriate for this tank: a dussumieri tang

Cgredler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks and Stingrays. Huge schools of yellow and purple tangs. And huge schools of Anthias.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in all seriousness, I like the yellow and convict tang idea as well as some blonde Naso tangs. My favorite fish is a tailspot blenny but in a tank that size, once you added it you wouldn’t see it again.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowleri Tang

Get a group of Lavendar tangs. Skip the common yellows. You can find those anywhere.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back