(2) AI Prime HD's or (2) Smatfarm's on a 60 Breeder?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 40x18x16. I plan on doing a softie and LPS dominate tank with SPS on top. The smatfarms and kessil arms come out to $410, and the AI's are $460 together so price is about the same. Which one of these lights would serve me better for this set up? I want to stay at or around $400 and I'm not interested in black boxes or T5.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SmatFarms should come with new arms. People are saying they’re like knock off kessil arms but there’s photos on page 23 of this thread

Edit: to correct info from above thread

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SmatFarms should come with new arms. People are saying they’re like knock off kessil arms but there’s photos on page 23 of this thread

Edit: to correct info from above thread
They do have new arms but they're not a sturdy as kessil and, more importantly to my application, they do not fit on rimmed tanks.

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smatfarm led light and the included arm. It fits on my standard 40 breeder just fine with thumb screws. My overflow is in the middle and the bottom of the arm is too long so i had to mount it off to the side a little. Ignore the dust :p The light itself is mounted by two thumb screws. Over the fan area.

20220923_213738.jpg 20220923_213821.jpg

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 60 breeder is 48”. I have two AI 16 HDs on a 40 breeder and don’t think they’d cover another 12” very well. Had two smatfarm lights on a 48x24 frag tank and they covered very well.

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get about 24" on the sandbed with my single smatfarm in terms of good usable light. The par drops quickly beyond that. Im running a LPS tank though so a single smatfarm is plenty of light... i have it set to like 53% on the AB+ spectrum.

To the original poster though, the smatfarm is technically a black box light. Albeit a pretty good one.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your fan? Does it get hot at 53%? I may remove mine, sound is very irritating.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you just removed the cover. Does that make it quieter? I have that light, and I hear the fan all day until the light intensity drops below 15%...

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you just removed the cover. Does that make it quieter? I have that light, and I hear the fan all day until the light intensity drops below 15%...
Maybe you could replace it under warranty? Not sure if the cover makes a difference or not. I took it off because at the time the thumb screws were too short to hold the light with the cover on lol. I was afraid the light would fall off the mount. Removing it made it feel sturdier. You could always remove it and see if it helps

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 40x18x16. I plan on doing a softie and LPS dominate tank with SPS on top. The smatfarms and kessil arms come out to $410, and the AI's are $460 together so price is about the same. Which one of these lights would serve me better for this set up? I want to stay at or around $400 and I'm not interested in black boxes or T5.
I would go with the Smatfarms. The controllability with the primes is better. But your par will be much lower. The total light coverage will be much better because with the Smatfarms you get four pucks. And the AIs you only have two

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something ive discovered more with the smatfarms recently is that the reds, yellows, and orange corals dont really have a lot of punch in terms of color. They are those color, but they all seem to have a browner hue under my smatfarms than what I see at the fish store. And the yellows appear slightly greener. They just don't have the same vibrance, especially the orange color. Not sure how well the AI's do with those colors. May be worth considering.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has both, I’ve changed to smatfarm. Par was struggling with the primes in my tank. The color isn’t too great though but I’m okay with it. Can add the Ali express light bar for more color pop.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back