2 Benefits of an Aquatec Booster Pump - With real data!

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an Aquatec Booster Pump (6800) to my RO system to get more water production and as an added benefit, I get better water quality as well!
I'm sure this has been done many times before, but I thought I'd share some real data that my son and I took as part of his science fair.
We adjusted the pump pressure and measured flow rate and TDS. This is pretty simple stuff, but I like real data and thought I'd share.

4-stage RO (no DI) system:
Booster Pump --> Sediment filter--> 5 micron carbon --> 1 micron carbon --> 75gpd membrane.

Without the pump, I typically got ~50psi and 11ppm TDS.

1662553827491.png

1662553488591.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice data
The filmtec data sheet shows that an increase in pressure will increase flow and rejection but it does not have any values.
If you did have a DI stage this would make your resin last about 35% longer.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nicely done. It is great to see some real data which confirms the expected and significant benefits of being at the upper end of the pressure window, especially coming from someone who is not also trying to sell booster pumps!

OP
OP
P

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I forgot to mention it's a Dow Filmtec membrane. I also should have mentioned that the RO membrane is doing a ton of work - the input TDS is usually ~1200ppm!!! (Well water, heavily softened).
After a little reading, I am considering adding DI to my system (haven't had it in 20 years of reefing). I'm wondering if it may help with the algae, which isn't too bad right now, but could be better. I think I may pull the trigger. Now to decide mixed bed vs. anion/cation...

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I forgot to mention it's a Dow Filmtec membrane. I also should have mentioned that the RO membrane is doing a ton of work - the input TDS is usually ~1200ppm!!! (Well water, heavily softened).
After a little reading, I am considering adding DI to my system (haven't had it in 20 years of reefing). I'm wondering if it may help with the algae, which isn't too bad right now, but could be better. I think I may pull the trigger. Now to decide mixed bed vs. anion/cation...

I would recommend testing for CO2 prior to doing that to make sure you do not need a degassing chamber. I would also do a 3 stage system.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to research how to test for CO2, any idea? I doubt the well water has any.
You can aerate your Mixing tank to achieve CO2 equlibrium. If the well water does contain substantial CO2 it only takes about 2-4 hours to reach equilibrium with the room. And that's where it's going to wind up, no matter how much CO2 you take away in the beginning.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to research how to test for CO2, any idea? I doubt the well water has any.

I bought a test kit from BRS. My DI resin only lasted about 50 gallons before I installed the degassing chamber.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some similar data from test we ran a few years ago with feedwater TDS around 200 ppm.
Rejection vs pressure BH.PNG

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention having a Filmtec membrane. Filmtec 1812 membranes are factory tested are 50 psi with 250 ppm feedwater. With your feedwater, to adjust for the osmotic pressure of that high TDS you'll need to provide the membrane about 60 psi rather than 50 psi. 1 psi of pressure is required to adjust for each 100 ppm of feedwater TDS over the spec. That said, and as shown by your trials, higher pressure will result in even better rejection.

Do you have any idea what your well water Total Hardness is? I'll bet you are going through softener salt like a big dog!

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you open to some other suggestions regarding your RO system configuration?

Russ

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my next purchases for my tank will be a booster pump, my house is on city water and the PSI is 50.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back