2 bristletooh, any success stories?

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

I have a beautiful truncatus, very shy and gentle, and I am in love with this fish.

Thus, I would like to add a second one but would like to hear reports of people that have 2 bristletooh tangs in the same tank. I understand the likelihood of them getting along from what I have been reading is low but are there any success stories?

400L (105G)
plenty of hiding
no other tangs atm

Thank you

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

I have a beautiful truncatus, very shy and gentle, and I am in love with this fish.

Thus, I would like to add a second one but would like to hear reports of people that have 2 bristletooh tangs in the same tank. I understand the likelihood of them getting along from what I have been reading is low but are there any success stories?

400L (105G)
plenty of hiding
no other tangs atm

Thank you
I would go for it.... idk

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So...

400L (105G)
plenty of hiding
no other tangs atm

Thank you
I currently have 3 in my 300 gallon. whitetail, two spot, and a kole. They have only been there a few weeks but I've noticed no aggression between them.

two things to note are the tank is much larger, and I added all three at the same time so none would get established over the other. I also feed 2 sheets of nori twice a day as my tank is pretty tang dense.

Previously I had a 100 gallon with an established kole, I added a tomini and the kole bullied it until I had to give the tomini away. kole was smaller.

regardless, if you do decide to try it make sure you feed extreme amounts of algae so there is no competition.

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback.

Ya I agree that adding them together could have helped but I did not plan to love this fish so much and a 2nd one was never in the plan :) maybe adding the new one at night when the lights are off might help, I have read it helps with agression but I have never tried it

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yo
Thank you for the feedback.

Ya I agree that adding them together could have helped but I did not plan to love this fish so much and a 2nd one was never in the plan :) maybe adding the new one at night when the lights are off might help, I have read it helps with agression but I have never tried it

You could try taking the pre-existing one out and putting it in a 10 gallon with the new one for a week or so to let both get used to each other in a new environment where neither one is dominant. Move a little bit of your rock around in the display tank, then add both of the fish in there together at night.

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo

You could try taking the pre-existing one out and putting it in a 10 gallon with the new one for a week or so to let both get used to each other in a new environment where neither one is dominant. Move a little bit of your rock around in the display tank, then add both of the fish in there together at night.
Hey,

That is actually a good idea, unfortunately I do not have a secondary tank. I might try placing them in the refugium for a couple of days.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

400L (105G)
plenty of hiding
no other tangs atm

Thank you
I wouldnt try it personally - Your tank is small in volume when it comes to two of the same species and regardless of rockwork it doesnt leave much territory between them - And they both will make a claim for the exact same type of territory being bristletooths.

That fish you love may just turn into an aggressive devil or may well be a victim to one.

My advice - Leave multiples for when you inevitably upgrade that tank to a larger one.

400L is a good size for all of those mid level/growing fish we see and 1 larger-ish stunner - You already have the stunner.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back