2 clownfish, a flame hawkfish, and a royal gramma walk into a 32 gallon bar. Does everybody walk out?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish, a flame hawkfish, and a royal gramma walk into a 32 gallon bar. Does everybody walk out or is there a shoot-out? I asked this question in a different format before and found out that a royal tang would definitely not work in a 32 gallon tank. I didn't realize they grow to at least a foot long. Also, my research (Google...lol!) tells me that a Flame Hawkfish (thug) would eventually decide to beat up the Yellow Watchmen Goby. I'd like to add a yellow watchmen goby to the mix, but I believe leaving it out may be best unfortunately.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best off with the four fish, but I feel you should be able to get away with the aggrerssion aspect as long as there is decent rock work and good places for them to seperate and hide if someone becomes top dog.. most likely the royal gramma

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best off with the four fish, but I feel you should be able to get away with the aggrerssion aspect as long as there is decent rock work and good places for them to seperate and hide if someone becomes top dog.. most likely the royal gramma
Thanks! Good to know. I could use a little bit more live rock.

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish swims into a bar... Ouch!
Of course he did... he drinks like a fish!

Wouldn't the flame and the YWG be cool if there was enough rock and the tank was big enough? Oh wait... I see now... 32 gallon. Maybe in a 90 or a 120....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course he did... he drinks like a fish!

Wouldn't the flame and the YWG be cool if there was enough rock and the tank was big enough? Oh wait... I see now... 32 gallon. Maybe in a 90 or a 120....
I really wanted the YWG, but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted the YWG, but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My favorite fish is my YWG. We call him Peekatchu.
I am forever waiting on a 72" 127 gallon tank. When that arrives, the goal is to also add a flame hawk.
I think they have similar personalities. The thing is that we judge a fish by it's lineage but every fish is different. My 6 line wrasse is a model citizen. If you listen to these threads, they are nightmares. Overall, judge each fish on it's own merits. If you try a YWG and they don't get along.... off to the sump or a new home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish is my YWG. We call him Peekatchu.
I am forever waiting on a 72" 127 gallon tank. When that arrives, the goal is to also add a flame hawk.
I think they have similar personalities. The thing is that we judge a fish by it's lineage but every fish is different. My 6 line wrasse is a model citizen. If you listen to these threads, they are nightmares. Overall, judge each fish on it's own merits. If you try a YWG and they don't get along.... off to the sump or a new home.
Lol @ “model citizen” but definitely good advice!

Upvote 0

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some fairly bad advise from the guy who one the fish store that started me off. At least I think because a bunch of fish I have I wouldn’t put together in a 32 gallon tank now knowing what I know. But I have a flame hawk fish. 2 clowns. 6 lone wrasse. Yellow watchman goby. Never had any aggression issues until I added a fairy wrasse who I was told would be a great addition. Luckily the 6 line left the fairy alone after about 36 hours of terrrible bullying. Somehow they all actually get along great. Sometimes it can work. But it’s best to do research before you buy and play the odds. I think I got lucky. And know now not to listen to the guy who sold me these fish. I’m finding a new source for my stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some fairly bad advise from the guy who one the fish store that started me off. At least I think because a bunch of fish I have I wouldn’t put together in a 32 gallon tank now knowing what I know. But I have a flame hawk fish. 2 clowns. 6 lone wrasse. Yellow watchman goby. Never had any aggression issues until I added a fairy wrasse who I was told would be a great addition. Luckily the 6 line left the fairy alone after about 36 hours of terrrible bullying. Somehow they all actually get along great. Sometimes it can work. But it’s best to do research before you buy and play the odds. I think I got lucky. And know now not to listen to the guy who sold me these fish. I’m finding a new source for my stuff.
I like hearing this! I may sneak the YWG back into the line up.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back