2 clownfish in a day old tank

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey boss man those clowns look like they were expensive. I'm not tellin' you what to do because I have impulses bought things before as I'm guilty of that. However, I have been in the hobby since 2015 with multiple reef tanks i want to help you out with this because i have been in your shoes. Getting clowns for a tank that's not cycled they have a really high chance of dying because ammonia and nitrite spikes will kill them. i read earlier in the thread about doctor tims, I do believe unless I'm wrong or unless you just get the bacteria Doctor tims is a fishless cycle because of your dosing ammonia. The only time id says a cycle with fish in it is seeded fresh live rock from an established tank. if you know someone that can hold on to your clowns until the cycle is complete or go find some live rock that is seeded with bacteria from an established tank (fish stores sometimes have some). it's just your tank is going to swing in parameters so hard and that's not healthy for the fish and on top of that the ammonia will kill them. Your tank needs ammonia in it to build bacteria and if you use supplements to hold off ammonia then your bacteria won't build and that goes for Nitrite and also nitrate. Bacteria needs ammonia to eat to turn to nitrite and bacteria needs nitrite to turn to nitrate. if you use a supplement to stop ammonia and nitrite your just stalling it and your tank won't build bacteria. once again I'm here to help I'm not shunning you i want you to succeed with few bumps as possible and not have to go through some of the things we have gone through! hit me up for questions or some help

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if your LFS can hold them for you.
This is what the other option would just go to them and ask if they can hold them in a tank for you off to the side this is actually your best option. i know it sucks and sounds kinda bad but I'm sure they would completely understand

mbri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, definitely, definitely add bottled bacteria. I personally used FritzZyme TurboStart 900 and Seachem Stability and had a good experience with them. Clownfish are hardy, but if you get that ammonia spike, they probably won't survive. I second Elaine123's suggestion of the Seachem Ammonia Alert too. Keep an extremely close eye on the parameters and make sure to not overfeed the fish.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, definitely, definitely add bottled bacteria. I personally used FritzZyme TurboStart 900 and Seachem Stability and had a good experience with them. Clownfish are hardy, but if you get that ammonia spike, they probably won't survive. I second Elaine123's suggestion of the Seachem Ammonia Alert too. Keep an extremely close eye on the parameters and make sure to not overfeed the fish.
yes, id add bacteria. turbo start is really good. its a refrigerated product. I would advise not to put seachems stability because your stalling your cycle process making your cycle super long and really messy.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i would do if your looking for input

1. see if LFS can take your clowns for 2 weeks
2. buy DR tims cycle program and follow it very strictly
3.buy testing kit and test your tank for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. once you get high nitrates do a 90% water change and go get your clowns and put them in

2nd option
1. go to LFS and get live seeded rock from a established tank
2. put them in your tank
3.monitor your tank very closely for Nitrites and nitrates
4. Do frequent water changes for parameters swinging
5. hope your clowns do well

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, id add bacteria. turbo start is really good. its a refrigerated product. I would advise not to put seachems stability because your stalling your cycle process making your cycle super long and really messy.
I think you meant to say Seachem Prime instead of Seachem Stability. The latter is seed bacteria like Dr Tim's and I used it to cycle my tank.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a impulse buy I regretted it but really hope they live but this site swears you can add saltwater fish right away so I’ll test it
If i make a bucket of saltwater myself i can also put a fancy sticker on the bucket for fish right away. For the longer term you'll need a cycled filter though.
Magic water that doesn't need that doesn't exist.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, u can add fish instantly, but that doesnt mean they can live forever in that water alone, without proper biological filtration via rock, sand, block.

Established filtration, that is.

It simply mean, like in many other product that water is (or will be after adding some bottles in it) free of dangerous stuff like chlorine, ammonia and stuff, it dont mean that this water or product alone will fully cycle your tank in seconds and prevent bad things to acumulate in your tank, in matter of days, if not hours.....

reefer938

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a 75 gallon for 6 years now I had to downgrade to a 36 I did dry rock and a cheap filter I have 2 clowns I put in and they seem to be fine swimming fast all around exploring....I used that nutri pre mixed water they claim you can add fish right away so I tried what do you all think?? Bad move ?

image.jpg
I would've personally waited a while, kept the rock in a tub and cycled it to keep it alive. Then set the tank up slowly. Because you could have an ammonia spike later on since it's new, I used a chemical form on one of mine but fed it with prawn for a while before adding any form of livestock.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the cycling debate on here I decided to experiment with a new molly breeding tank and no rock no bottled bac yet no ammonia and fish are fine. Got cloudy after a week then cleared just a sponge filter and sand on the bottom. Yet the tank supports fish still after 2 weeks with zero losses so far. It seems like alot of people like bottled bac, that's fine but its not needed. Fish in cycling has been around a long time and if done right can be an option. Not saying it should be the go to but the fish aren't going to die just because the op didn't use bottled bac.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Says it’s fortified!

Natural ocean sea water that's already filtered and pH balanced. No mixing required. Instantly changes to saltwater. Fortified with live marine bacteria and enriched solutions to provide a proper natural balance.

just don’t over feed those little guys. Give the Bacteria time to colonize.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N.S.Reefer is right

this is big dilution here it’s not like packed in three gallons

they’re not being burned here. Just add bottle bac to this tank and proceed, ten million fish in cycles were not burning fish, they’re disease vectoring the tank for problems in March.

recap: your fish are not burned or hurt or burning but food added will be a tax, so just add a nine dollar bottle of dr tims, biospira or the fritz and it’s not a big deal they’ll be fine.

yes, seawater contains cycling bacteria even the claim by the water isn’t outlandish. I have a thread that proves even our common tank water has plenty of cycling bac to transmit

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all this concern and focus and public coaching was aimed at guiding new fish owners to prep for disease vs assume ammonia burning in every scenario the hobby would lose much less fish by bucketloads

its ironic when the cycle umps though are proponents of skipping disease preps, the fish never stood a chance.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you need to add some kind of bottled bacteria, you are basically cycling using fish right now to cycle the tank. But you started without seeding the tank . You are going to get an ammonia spike because the tank is pretty much sterile .Clownfish are like damsels and pretty tolerant

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input y’all ! Day 2 they’re swimming all over very very active no head twitching no irritation that I notice ...so what I think everyone’s agreeing on is to add the dr tims bacteria stuff? Just worried I add that n watch my clowns die ....I’m feeding very lightly only what they can eat gonna test the water in a few days but I hope adding this bottle won’t cause a spike quicker !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 16

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just add it and all is well, you don't even need to test for anything. you're intercepting the point at which the dilution would be challenged, which only had a 5% chance of happening anyway. the small degree of waste in the water will feed those bac and the cycle will work out just fine, easy. you sure can correlate fish behavior to comfort levels, we do it for every other param and it would also include the single most painful, burning parameter they could ever encounter: free ammonia. its not at harmful levels due to dilution, and that bac will catch things up just fine.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey boss man those clowns look like they were expensive. I'm not tellin' you what to do because I have impulses bought things before as I'm guilty of that. However, I have been in the hobby since 2015 with multiple reef tanks i want to help you out with this because i have been in your shoes. Getting clowns for a tank that's not cycled they have a really high chance of dying because ammonia and nitrite spikes will kill them. i read earlier in the thread about doctor tims, I do believe unless I'm wrong or unless you just get the bacteria Doctor tims is a fishless cycle because of your dosing ammonia. The only time id says a cycle with fish in it is seeded fresh live rock from an established tank. if you know someone that can hold on to your clowns until the cycle is complete or go find some live rock that is seeded with bacteria from an established tank (fish stores sometimes have some). it's just your tank is going to swing in parameters so hard and that's not healthy for the fish and on top of that the ammonia will kill them. Your tank needs ammonia in it to build bacteria and if you use supplements to hold off ammonia then your bacteria won't build and that goes for Nitrite and also nitrate. Bacteria needs ammonia to eat to turn to nitrite and bacteria needs nitrite to turn to nitrate. if you use a supplement to stop ammonia and nitrite your just stalling it and your tank won't build bacteria. once again I'm here to help I'm not shunning you i want you to succeed with few bumps as possible and not have to go through some of the things we have gone through! hit me up for questions or some help
They weren’t bad I had to donate all my corals from my 75 gallon and 6 fish so they gave me these guys for 80 I mean I only gave them 1000 dollars worth of stuff for free you’d think they would of helped me out more lol -edit 80 dollars for both

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just add it and all is well, you don't even need to test for anything. you're intercepting the point at which the dilution would be challenged, which only had a 5% chance of happening anyway. the small degree of waste in the water will feed those bac and the cycle will work out just fine, easy. you sure can correlate fish behavior to comfort levels, we do it for every other param and it would also include the single most painful, burning parameter they could ever encounter: free ammonia. its not at harmful levels due to dilution, and that bac will catch things up just fine.
Ok thanks I’m gonna shake it up and put it in wish me luck y’all I actually love the color of these clowns ...the bottle says one cap per 10 gallons but then it says use the whole bottle at once ?? Lol am I reading this right? How does that make sense but they say you can’t over do it so

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back