OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I used 2 bottles of Fritz in my 13.5g, granted that was for my fishless cycle though. If I were you I think I'd start with the capful/10g 1x per day since the fish are in. Though I don't think adding more than that would do much harm, just better to err on the side of caution IMO.

Btw, love your clowns too!
Ty! They are beautiful it would be nice to keep them alive....

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frizz, you need to put the live bacteria in asap please. You are really risking killing your fish at this point. I have never heard of any fish being killed with dosing bacteria.
Ok ty so add dr tims live bacteria then? It’s just that I’m getting mixed reviews but if it can’t hurt and can only help then screw it

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with 2 clowns and 6 hermit crabs. I used MicrBactro 7. I think I waited a couple days to put the fish in.
Its been a year now and they are doing great. A few Hermit crabs have disappeared. Clown fish are very hardy.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added the whole bottle of dr tims one and only life nitrifying bacteria (treats 30 gallons) my tanks a 36...clowns are swimming eating fine and very active as of right now I hope this stuff doesn’t screw them up

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding bacteria

the original plan didn’t call for that. Don’t keep adding oxygen competing bacteria once is enough

youd only wait, and do nothing for five days other than fish food, once.

you wouldn’t add bacteria later either. Once is enough to cycle your tank just fine. Bacteria self manage just fine here on out.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding bacteria

the original plan didn’t call for that. Don’t keep adding oxygen competing bacteria once is enough

you wouldn’t add bacteria later either. Once is enough to cycle your tank just fine. Bacteria self manage just fine here on out.
Well this guy says no:( so idk now !!

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been less active tbh now that I added dr time knowing clowns for 6 years n I have the lights going a lot but maybe they’re kinda sleeping but wayyyy less active they are eating tho

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the tests give you a misread, specifically don’t react by adding more things - none of that was in the plan. Prediction: six new additives or doses of bac are in the system within one week :) the panic advised by peers simply will not be resisted. It can not be resisted, there’s too many non seneye owners present.

when the non digital test kits report total ammonia in a system we expect to have total ammonia, and nh3 isn’t reported in the updates only total ammonia which we expect to not be zero, you wouldn’t dose things. you can do water changes in reaction to the misread ammonia reading/perceived bad condition which wouldn’t register that way on a $180 ammonia digital tester for nh3.

water changes are the only allowed action for reactions to seven dollar tests.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ammonia will spike even if you have a filter. Almost certain that you will have to battle it with WC every few days-a week. Just my opinion

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he added bottle bac two days ago though, the kind that instantly control ammonia but only when test kits instructions for nh3 conversion are followed before reporting high ammonia.

when high ammonia is reported it’s because that step was not done

Feed these two fish lightly and wait out the prescribed number of days. Don’t test ammonia and nitrite, those bac handle them fine, and you won’t need to worry about the cycle you’ll need to worry about recently imported fish disease into the tank, dont add more fish until the whole thing is prepped for disease

you can add a simple coral right now, get a mushroom rock they’ll do fine that bac is a speed cycler. They’ll tolerate the six dosers coming up by reversing the order specific to this cycle approach: will test for ammonia and nitrite on non digital kits, will not report as nh3 form only will state nh4 levels we (I) don’t want to know, will add multiple dosers. The crowd demands it, comply

nobody would follow the plan they’d choose the doom mode. Bacteria are always always always always doubted by the crowd. This reef is chemical soup by Friday? :) resist the urge mang

water changes, light feed, buy two mushrooms attached to a little chunk of live rock, put them in the tank. Re fallow the tank, qt all future fish, don’t test for ammonia and nitrite, don’t dose anything, that’s the plan. Veer from it and troubles may begin

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding bacteria

Ty ! Would it be dumb now to add more dry rock ? I would like to have more for future coral but I don’t wanna screw anything up....day 4 clowns are still going strong I’m gonna test water tonight just wanted to see what the pros think of adding more rock ? Or is it best to wait

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he added bottle bac two days ago though, the kind that instantly control ammonia but only when test kits instructions for nh3 conversion are followed before reporting high ammonia.

when high ammonia is reported it’s because that step was not done

Feed these two fish lightly and wait out the prescribed number of days. Don’t test ammonia and nitrite, those bac handle them fine, and you won’t need to worry about the cycle you’ll need to worry about recently imported fish disease into the tank, dont add more fish until the whole thing is prepped for disease

you can add a simple coral right now, get a mushroom rock they’ll do fine that bac is a speed cycler. They’ll tolerate the six dosers coming up by reversing the order specific to this cycle approach: will test for ammonia and nitrite on non digital kits, will not report as nh3 form only will state nh4 levels we (I) don’t want to know, will add multiple dosers. The crowd demands it, comply

nobody would follow the plan they’d choose the doom mode. Bacteria are always always always always doubted by the crowd. This reef is chemical soup by Friday? :) resist the urge mang

water changes, light feed, buy two mushrooms attached to a little chunk of live rock, put them in the tank. Re fallow the tank, qt all future fish, don’t test for ammonia and nitrite, don’t dose anything, that’s the plan. Veer from it and troubles may begin
Ty! Ok so I won’t test ...I didn’t plan on adding anymore fish untill December ...I like the mushroom idea I’ve had a bunch in the past they can live through anything ....just would it be ok adding more dry rock ? Or should I wait ?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truly its ok to add more rock its just inert surfaces that take on the floating around bacteria quickly. rinse the rocks off well first just to rule out any clouding from coating/sloughs etc

lol what I typed above really just means we can trust this bottle bac. about fifty thousand times where people add these fish, to this tank with that bottle on day one have been logged and every one I can find turned out well. fish acted normal, that's a big indicator of comfort. especially willing to feed, that really means not injured more times than it doesn't when ammonia burn is the risk.

all you did was reverse the process by a few days and the sheer dilution carried your setup. your fish are wet and sticky, adhered to the slime coat and sloughed off in the new tank was one million filter bacteria from their prior holding system. those bac are now in addition to the bottle bac, its all fine.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truly its ok to add more rock its just inert surfaces that take on the floating around bacteria quickly. rinse the rocks off well first just to rule out any clouding from coating/sloughs etc
Yea I’ll rinse them off before adding thanks need a lot of rock for my future lps corals !! in 3 months this baby tank will look beautiful....I hope...

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question sorry lol now I know when water evaporates salt is left behind ...can I top off with the pre mixed saltwater I been using (bc the salinity should be the same) or should I use rodi water ....will the salinity go up if the water being added is the same salinity ? Or will the salinity go up?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back