2 clownfish pairs in 8 foot tank?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 96” by 30” by 24”, 300 gallons. Will they have enough room to establish separate territories?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 96” by 30” by 24”, 300 gallons. Will they have enough room to establish separate territories?
We wanted to do this in our office tank which is 450 gallons of a similar footprint, just a little wider/taller.
We were talked out of it by our aquarium service so never tried.
Curious to hear the experiences of people who have tried in a similarly large tank.

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never perosnally tried as I don't have that big of a tank but I have heard numerous success stories if you can get them established on oposites sides of the tank. Also if you add them in at the same time. It would also be helpful if one pair was an ocellaris and one was say a clarkii or a skunk clown pair.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pair in a 6foot tank no issues. 2 orange skunk in a huge bubbletip and a pair of Ocellaris in a magnificent sea anemone for months no issue.

1595996409736.png

1595996475679.png

1595996543610.png

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a tank on here with a huge percula clownfish harem (I believe 10 fish?) and the whole tank was just nems. I’ve seen them do well and get along if they’re all introduced are the same time at relatively similar sizes (less than 1/2” difference) and are allowed adequate hosting places such as multiple anemones. In a tank that size I don’t see too many issues arising if all of these factors are met. Heavy feeding may also curb aggression

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want a harem. I want it to be mainly an SPS tank so nem dominated would be asking for trouble. I just want two separate pairs.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try this and spoke to a few people about it. What I was told it generally then need 6ft atlease between the pairs. So in theory, if each pair established their territory in each end it could work- but it’s not a for sure thing. If you do try I would add all 4 fish at the same time, otherwise the first pair may Become territorial of the whole tank. But be prepared to catch and Re-home the two of they start fighting.

I think there would be some aggression in the beginning and hopefully they figure it out, but if they start damaging and hurting each other then it’s time to remove two.

may also help if all 4 are juveniles and they will establish dominance.

I have three clowns in my tank. One big female and 2 males. They all get along fine. The first two are a long termed pair- 4-5 years old. The third one was one I took in an emergency for a friend, the smallest of the three, and I was hesitant to add him, but I think I got lucky and they all seem to get along fine. Although they all refuse to let any of the anemonies host them.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In my 6 foot 180 gallon tank I would have a nem on each end of the tank and a pair of clowns in each. Both layed eggs every 2 weeks. The saddlebacks were in an LTA while the occelaris were in a BTA

After I got rid of the saddlebacks I replaced them with a Wyoming white pair. Again, they continued to breed. Each pair seemed to stay in their half of the tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back