2 day old tank test issues

joshthompsonau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Not currently at home so can’t provide pictures unfortunately. But earlier today I tested my tank (2 days in cycle) after dosing 2ppm of ammonia yesterday into the tank. I have used an api and a salifert to test the ammonia. The api came back with: 8+ ppm of ammonia and the salifert came back with around 1.75ppm. I’m confused as this is a massive difference and I’m worried I have read the dosing instructions wrong as I’m a new reefer. Should I trust the api or salifert? Thanks guys

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Not currently at home so can’t provide pictures unfortunately. But earlier today I tested my tank (2 days in cycle) after dosing 2ppm of ammonia yesterday into the tank. I have used an api and a salifert to test the ammonia. The api came back with: 8+ ppm of ammonia and the salifert came back with around 1.75ppm. I’m confused as this is a massive difference and I’m worried I have read the dosing instructions wrong as I’m a new reefer. Should I trust the api or salifert? Thanks guys
I would definitely trust the Salifert over the API......API is known for being hard to read and not being accurate. Have either of the test kits expired?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the fun of it, why not repeat each test and confirm that you didn't get a strange reading on one of them due to testing artifact.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither reading matters. After fifteen days wait and a big water change you’re fine and ready, bottle bac works fast like that

its quicker than fifteen days but that wait time handles all kinds of variables.

study this exact comparison

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshthompsonau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the fun of it, why not repeat each test and confirm that you didn't get a strange reading on one of them due to testing artifact.
Neither reading matters. After fifteen days wait and a big water change you’re fine and ready, bottle bac works fast like that

its quicker than fifteen days but that wait time handles all kinds of variables.

study this exact comparison
No worries Brandon I’ll keep that in mind I’ll check in after a few weeks

OP
OP
J

joshthompsonau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris, I’ll be doing another test today but I’ve done multiple test with the same results unfortunately

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly not care. You are registering ammonia on day 2 which means the tank is not cycled. As such, doesnt matter which one is accurate.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this for-sure wait timing is the new cutting edge on reefing. testless cycling, predicted start date

you want any reef ready by the 15th?

start on the first and it doesn't fail. the old way was we approached cycling as something that misarrangement could derail, its not, given a certain number of days lead up.

look at this alternate confirmation of the day 15 trick

that's a guaranteed 30 day's ready if you merely fed and added no bac, works on all tanks. food only and natural bac plus more time, but its by day 30 always.

your half wait is the sweet spot bottle bac are always done by, even molasses-slow mb7 lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshthompsonau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this for-sure wait timing is the new cutting edge on reefing. testless cycling, predicted start date

you want any reef ready by the 15th?

start on the first and it doesn't fail. the old way was we approached cycling as something that misarrangement could derail, its not, given a certain number of days lead up.
Awesome I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. Cheers for your help!

OP
OP
J

joshthompsonau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries I’ll just watch the tank for the next couple of weeks and I won’t dose any more ammonia until I’m sure the levels have stabilised. Cheers for your help
I would honestly not care. You are registering ammonia on day 2 which means the tank is not cycled. As such, doesnt matter which one is accurate.

Back