2 Days in shipping... Does it work?

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to work out a trade and I'm having a question concerning shipping.

We're wanting to use USPS, but it'll take 2 days for the coral to be delivered. Have any of you had success with shipping/recieving coral that were in bags for a couple days, or should we not do it?

Any/All responses are appreciated.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 day is always best but first it depends on the corals, most zoa's/palys and some shrooms are ok for 2 day shipping but that also depends on the weather. If it's cold they wont survive. I sometimes ship some zoa's in the summer but for LPS and SPS I would stick with 1 day.

kass

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, Palys are 100% fine being shipped 2-Day if they are healed (keyword). SPS and LPS really need 1-Day, like fish.

However, I've been tempted to try LPS/SPS and shipping them 2-day with a Kordon Breathable bag. I have a feeling they'd be fine. :tongue:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 day shipping is really taking a chance - It is possible depending on weather, how they handle the box, where it is stored, and what kind of coral you are shipping, plus the condition of the coral - recently cut or not? Lots of variables - if you can do one day.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly i wouldnt and my mother works for the post office. why?
well they are extremely lacking in the package care department!
in this day in age its just not worth the small savings.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't USPS have an overnight shipping option? Why will it take 2 days? Is the location not a standard overnight location? (I have this issue) If it is to save $20, I personally would not take the chance. Some corals might survive but I think the additional stress is a high variable and not worth loosing the piece or having to nurse it back to health.

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas in a cooler or a thermo mug work fine for 2 days.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the real question is - What is it worth to make sure it arrives alive? $20, $30, $40....if you are sending a few hundred dollars in corals and you dont wanna spring for overnight shipping then you are careless imho!

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies does great with 2 day. I have had several zoanthids and ricordea shipped 2 days and was fine, but your problem is USPS, they suck. If you use 2 day with Fedex or UPS you are fine. USPS does not garantee anything. I had them ship 2 day once and it to 7 days. They said they read the zip wrong.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know fed ex has a new option of 2 day am. that might help but I also don't know what the prices are. I would never ship lps 2 day, that's for sure. Only zoas and mushrooms.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hung out with a online vendor a couple years ago when he was starting out.
To keep costs down, he stayed with USPS as long as he could,
but he got hammered on lost shipments and crushed boxes month after month.
Finally had to drop them.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your comments. I figured that 2 day shipping wouldn't work, but I just wanted to get a second opinion on the issue before I made a decision. I understand it would be worth it to ship Fedex if it was another $20-$25 more than USPS, but $40-$45 more just isn't worth it in my opinion.

I guess the real question is - What is it worth to make sure it arrives alive? $20, $30, $40....if you are sending a few hundred dollars in corals and you dont wanna spring for overnight shipping then you are careless imho!

The real question is - is the trade worth spending $75 out of pocket for shipping on top of the coral I'm trading?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your comments. I figured that 2 day shipping wouldn't work, but I just wanted to get a second opinion on the issue before I made a decision. I understand it would be worth it to ship Fedex if it was another $20-$25 more than USPS, but $40-$45 more just isn't worth it in my opinion.

The real question is - is the trade worth spending $75 out of pocket for shipping on top of the coral I'm trading?

If the corals have the words Tyree or Jason Fox attached to them, i would probably say yes...then again i have see horror stories on next day deliveries too. No matter how you ship it's all a risk. You just gotta see if its worth it for the extra $$$ - btw i wasnt trying to come off mean, i apologize if i was.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shipping is all a risk and it is just a matter of reducing. What corals are you looking a shipping? There have been serveral posters that chimed in that most Z & Ps would be fine.

As far as $75 for a trade... I would say it depended on what the trade was for and how many. ;)

fraggardner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these corals come from far far away and if packed properly they will make it i seen shipments that were held up by Fish and Game for 24-30 hours at LAX and this is after being packed transported via truck to the airport and then by plane only to sit in LAX for our FnG officers to make time to go thru them and clear them

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say anything that hasn't been said except.. If it's a trade then why don't both of you just add an extra frag or two to the box to cover shipping costs? I'm sure he's going through the same dilemma right now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back