2 heaters with an Apex

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence from Neptune apex said it on the live screen. Let’s talk reef you tube video.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the old apex and new fusion setup, both had the on temp and off temp for heaters.
If you set your on temp at say 76F and off at 77F then heaters will come on at 76 and turn off at 77. that 1 degree difference will not let the heaters come on and off like old heaters used to do.
You can increase that by going to 2F difference and i am pretty sure the heaters wont need to kick in for a while.
EB8 has 6 x 5A and 2x 10Amps outlets and the 10A outlets can easily handle heaters.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with mine setup like this.

These 2 are on the EB832
AE04B8EE-D59B-44E3-BD2D-AAE59540AC0D.png

9443A913-82C5-4599-90DF-5AE6906D8CC4.png

And this one is on the EB8
61EC2FFA-B651-4CAC-9AE9-2FDAD5FE3C6D.png

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut tells me to use my Eheim internal thermostat (e.g., set to 78F) and set my upstream Apex probe to 78.5C to turn off the heater outlet just in case the heater stays on (biggest risk factor).

Is that most logical? In other words, the heater turning itself on and off (what it's made for) rather than the Apex cutting power to the outlet/heater constantly?

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per Neptune you shouldn’t connect your heater to a eb8. The constant on and off will kill your eb8. They say you should use a heater controller and then connect that controller to the apex eb8. The constant on and off is not good for the eb8
Yet another way in which Neptune totally FAILS at communicating with its users.
When I was investigating switching to two COR pumps for my return and was deciding between the 15 and 20, I had emailed Neptune a question about relative flow for the two given my current plumbing. In passing I mentioned that I liked that I could plug both COR-15's into the 1LINK ports on my energy bar. In the response the Neptune technician informed me you CANNOT plug two COR-15's into the EB even though there are enough outlets because it would overload the system. I searched through all their materials, including the alleged "Apex Comprehensive Reference Manual" on the web and found NOTHING advising this to other customers. So I went and purchased two COR-20s instead. I subsequently learned that other users have had two COR-15's plugged into the EB for years without issue.
Where is Neptune? DO they dare address these questions? Or are they resting on their rear ends until someone else comes along and creates a competing product that blows them out of the water?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing that the If Tmp < 71.0 Then OFF is in case the heater ends up in air? Otherwise not sure of reason for this line of code.
I want to know what is the purpose of this line of code too

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per Neptune you shouldn’t connect your heater to a eb8. The constant on and off will kill your eb8. They say you should use a heater controller and then connect that controller to the apex eb8. The constant on and off is not good for the eb8
This. I will be using heater controller then connect to apex. That have I have 3 layers of redundancy. Internal thermometer, heater controller, and lastly apex.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was investigating switching to two COR pumps for my return and was deciding between the 15 and 20, I had emailed Neptune a question about relative flow for the two given my current plumbing. In passing I mentioned that I liked that I could plug both COR-15's into the 1LINK ports on my energy bar. In the response the Neptune technician informed me you CANNOT plug two COR-15's into the EB even though there are enough outlets because it would overload the system. I searched through all their materials, including the alleged "Apex Comprehensive Reference Manual" on the web and found NOTHING advising this to other customers. So I went and purchased two COR-20s instead. I subsequently learned that other users have had two COR-15's plugged into the EB for years without issue.
Where is Neptune? DO they dare address these questions? Or are they resting on their rear ends until someone else comes along and creates a competing product that blows them out of the water?

that’s the way they are. I remember when the apex 1st came out. They would show the
Dashboard with a Live video stream of your tank.
that’s what they said you can do. After I purchased it. I haven’t seen any one able to do it. I spend a lot of hours and a bunch of web cams trying to figure it out.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s the way they are. I remember when the apex 1st came out. They would show the
that’s what they said you can do. After I purchased it. I haven’t seen any one able to do it. I spend a lot of hours and a bunch of web cams trying to figure it out.

Really? I searched on google and many was able to do it. It depends on the type of camera you are using apparently.

Here is one from January this year that got it to work and shows the steps:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Works just fine for me and a Nest cam. On the "classic" apex.

You know Neptune's own forums have several models of cams that work? Did you not search that extensively?

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
preach it brother....I've done a good job of remaining quiet about my multiple apex issues but I'm definitely fed up. My pH probe doesn't properly work, my salinity probe doesn't properly work, my ORP probe doesn't work, I keep getting ridiculous error codes every day at midnight. I've purchased all new calibration fluids for the probes and tried both manual and advanced calibration so many times in so many different ways and still nada. I've posted on the apex forum with no replies or contact from Apex. I basically just use it as a glorified timer. I'm at a loss. Sorry....had to get that off my chest....

Open Living_Room_Ree's dashboard.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I want to know what is the purpose of this line of code too

The purpose is to stop the heaters if your temp probe was to end up out of the water. If that was to happen it would measure room temperature and keep the heaters running indefinitely and cook your system.

You can adjust to your liking, could be set to 67 if you'd like.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am guessing that the If Tmp < 71.0 Then OFF is in case the heater ends up in air? Otherwise not sure of reason for this line of code.

Well it's for when the temp sensor ends up in the air and not the heater.

If that was to happen it would measure room temperature and keep the heaters running indefinitely and cook your system.

You can adjust to your liking, could be set to 67 if you'd like.

wes urquhart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 heaters on my apex, a 300w and a 500w jbj. Here's how I code them.

Basically 300w comes on first and the defer commands keep it from cycling on/off quickly. If the 300w can't keep up the 500w kicks on.

300w
Set ON
Fallback OFF
If MainT > 78.0 Then OFF
Defer 040:00 Then ON
Defer 025:00 Then OFF
If Emer OPEN Then OFF

500w
Set ON
Fallback OFF
If MainT > 77.5 Then OFF
Defer 015:00 Then OFF
If Emer OPEN Then OFF

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have 2 heaters on my apex, a 300w and a 500w jbj. Here's how I code them.

Basically 300w comes on first and the defer commands keep it from cycling on/off quickly. If the 300w can't keep up the 500w kicks on.

300w
Set ON
Fallback OFF
If MainT > 78.0 Then OFF
Defer 025:00 Then OFF
If Emer OPEN Then OFF

500w
Set ON
Fallback OFF
If MainT > 77.5 Then OFF
Defer 015:00 Then OFF
If Emer OPEN Then OFF

Your defer statement is rather long, I changed mine recently to 10 minutes from the examples I provided earlier.

Just wondering, what outlet did you plug the 500W heater into?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The high amp outlet on the top. The 300w is in a normal outlet. The defer commands can be tailored to suit your needs it's really user preference.

Suiting your needs for sure. My tank being in the basement would probably fall another half degree in the winter months before 40 minute defer would be completed but I could see how that wouldnt be a huge problem for others in "normal" environments.

That's good, some people plug the 500/600/800W heaters into standard outlets with disastrous results. Just looking out.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works just fine for me and a Nest cam. On the "classic" apex.

You know Neptune's own forums have several models of cams that work? Did you not search that extensively?

I call crap on that. I have 4 nest cams at the house and nest cams are closed.
please show me a screen shot of what your config is . If it was that easy apex would have instructions on their site saying use this camera. I have heard of people using wizecams to do it but they have open a bunch of ports in your router and it’snot worth it to me to trade security for a stream of my fish tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have to open a port on your router, if your uncomfortable doing that, that is on you, not neptune.

There is an entire section on Camera and Media integration, did you miss that section?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you have to open a port on your router, if your uncomfortable doing that, that is on you, not neptune.

There is an entire section on Camera and Media integration, did you miss that section?

nobody is doing it with a nest cam. Nest is protected and their stream is not able to be directed to a 3rd party’. So let’s seehow you are able to do it?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back