2 heaters with an Apex

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just purchased three EB832’s so I can better monitor my energy usage on everything.

How many on/offs a day would you suggest as a limit?

That's a question better suited for the maker. Their and BRS videos and posts suggest that they will not last with too many cycles.

I've had EB8s and EB4s for more than a decade turning heaters on and off unlimited times per day but their outlets are triac based so no parts wearing out.

I set my temp range between .2 to .4 degrees depending on which stage of heat it is running.

This doesn't help either, so I decided to stay away from EB832s

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question better suited for the maker. Their and BRS videos and posts suggest that they will not last with too many cycles.

I've had EB8s and EB4s for more than a decade turning heaters on and off unlimited times per day but their outlets are triac based so no parts wearing out.

I set my temp range between .2 to .4 degrees depending on which stage of heat it is running.

This doesn't help either, so I decided to stay away from EB832s

Interesting. I just contacted Neptune and they advised the EB832 will perform as well if not better than the EB8 with the key being to keep them on a quality surge protector w/ battery backup.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. On another note is it possible to put 2 heaters on one outlet with a Y connector. I might not have a spare outlet on the energy bar for 2 heaters.
Use a power strip

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Interesting. I just contacted Neptune and they advised the EB832 will perform as well if not better than the EB8 with the key being to keep them on a quality surge protector w/ battery backup.

That's hogwash. Never ask a drug dealer if his coke is pure.

Did you ever call a manufacturer and were told their product had a defect or certain failure rate or is bad otherwise.

A quality surge protector is one thing but battery backup with heaters and light fixtures? That's completely pointless.

You should have asked them to explain the glowing reviews for the EB832 at BRS while at it and the one problem everone there mentions.

So many complaints of failed ports with the same symptoms is not koinkydink.

I tend to stay away from products with such reviews. But don't be swayed, be your own judge.

1606920021733.png

U

User1

View Badges
That's hogwash. Never ask a drug dealer if his coke is pure.

Did you ever call a manufacturer and were told their product had a defect or certain failure rate or is bad otherwise.

A quality surge protector is one thing but battery backup with heaters and light fixtures? That's completely pointless.

You should have asked them to explain the glowing reviews for the EB832 at BRS while at it and the one problem everone there mentions.

So many complaints of failed ports with the same symptoms is not koinkydink.

I tend to stay away from products with such reviews. But don't be swayed, be your own judge.

1606920021733.png

You do realize that is only 19 reviews out of about how many actual users? Not to mention the first comment was on 4/11/17 and the most recent being 11/29/20. Would you find more if you scour the net? Maybe. I don't know.

Seems like a lot of angst over it so if you are not sure then it maybe isn't a good idea. On the other hand as a user I've had pretty good luck with mine. I also have a secondary that was boxed as a spare but recently brought online for a hot spare although I did move my 2nd Cor 15 to it to give a bit of redundancy.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
19 reviews or not, this paints enough of a picture for me. You decide for yourself.

1606922122505.png

VS.

1606922183524.png

U

User1

View Badges
19 reviews or not, this paints enough of a picture for me. You decide for yourself.

1606922122505.png

VS.

1606922183524.png

Of course. Each hobbyist has to decided. We agree. I was only commenting on the number of reviews vs the possible number in use. And then relate it to hobbyists like me who have them, with few or no issues, and we don't write a review.

By no means am I saying you are wrong. I was just looking at it from a numbers thing. It is a lot of product built into a small form factor for sure. Sometimes hobbyists don't think of things before they do them and it may have negative side effects. Or the product just fails. I know just last week I pulled out and setup a pair of brs heaters with their controller. Set it all up and all of a sudden my energy bar stopped and threw a red ! mark.

User error. Previously I was running 2 x 300 Watt heaters but upgraded to 2 x 600 Watt heaters and that exceeded the Watts or amps or both when it turned on. Just an example but would have caused problems had I left it or had a similar setup using a extension cord or other multi outlet surge device :D

But yes, I hear you. Was just looking at it differently and perspective. I like mine but I guess I'm biased.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting that most of the bundle Apex kits that include the EB832 are outstanding reviews. You would think that if the EB832 were an issue for them, they would report back regarding the bundled package.

I have had nothing but outstanding performance from my Apex Classic (got 6 years out of it) and now Apex 2016 with EB8’s. Their customer service has always been great to me over the years which is why I pulled the trigger on the new EB832’s despite the BRS reviews.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It is interesting that most of the bundle Apex kits that include the EB832 are outstanding reviews. You would think that if the EB832 were an issue for them, they would report back regarding the bundled package.

I have had nothing but outstanding performance from my Apex Classic (got 6 years out of it) and now Apex 2016 with EB8’s. Their customer service has always been great to me over the years which is why I pulled the trigger on the new EB832’s despite the BRS reviews.

Make sure you report any failures to us down the line. ;)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Also, fwiw, BRS said that they have not had a large number of issues or complaints with the EB832’s including the ones they use.

'have not had large number of issues' does not equal "had no issues" - it's all in the wording ;)

I decided to fall back to EB8s with exception of keeping one EB832 for devices that I feel must have power monitoring.

Last edited:

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'have not had large number of issues' does not equal "had no issues" - it's all in the wording ;)

I decided to fall back to EB8s with exception of keeping one EB832 for devices that I feel must have power monitoring.
EB8’s are tried and true. They stood the test of time for me.

I have heard many negative reviews of various products including Neptune that made me scratch my head because I had nothing but stellar experiences with so........I’m hoping that the EB832’s will be a good experience.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
EB8’s are tried and true. They stood the test of time for me.

I have heard many negative reviews of various products including Neptune that made me scratch my head because I had nothing but stellar experiences with so........I’m hoping that the EB832’s will be a good experience.

I hope they work for you too, failure of these things is not an option or fun.

Back